JohnMcMahon

Vertigo back on the ledge

James    38
Unless it's Logan sitting around chatting with people, they're hardly playing to Dillon's strengths.

Agreed

It's amazing how a good colouring job can make Dillon's art look like proper Marvel work. Shame he chose Chin #3 (Saint of Killers) for Wolverine, though. I always saw Wolvy as having Chin #2 (Jesse Custer).

Mark    333

Blimey, that looks shit. He was totally unsuited to the Ultimates Annual a few months back, too - don't Marvel have any talking-heads-based books they could put him on? He'd be the perfect artist for Bendis, one suspects...

DMZ hasn't wowed me yet, but I'm sufficiently intrigued by the concept that it may yet win me over. Issue #1 of The Exterminators was rubbish, can't see myself continuing with it.

Gordon    0

What? Whose idea was that? Unless it's Logan sitting around chatting with people, they're hardly playing to Dillon's strengths.

Okay, so Until the End of the World-era Dillon did some solid fight scenes, but he's gone rapidly downhill since then.

The Writer (Daniel Way) has been very forthcoming about the fact that Wolverine (or Wolverine: Origins, as the new book will be entitled) needs to be an action book, and that component has been neglected with the more philosophical approach that both Greg Rucka and Mark Millar (!) took with the book.

His approach seems to be more in the ‘After regaining all his memories at once, James Logan takes issues with anybody who even looked at him wrong, whilst occasionally having flashbacks’ school of thought.

Mark    333
The Writer (Daniel Way) has been very forthcoming about the fact that Wolverine (or Wolverine: Origins, as the new book will be entitled) needs to be an action book, and that component  has been neglected with the more philosophical approach that both Greg Rucka and Mark Millar (!) took with the book.

The fuck? Millar's whole run was one long action set-piece. Daniel Way is either Captain Disingenuous, utterly deluded, or taking the piss.

Rogan    176

Ah, comics fans. Sure, they start talking about Vertigo, but pretty much it all boils down to Wolverine, eh? ;)

Christian    805

......uh, yeah. I'm thinking Way didn't bother to read Millar's run.

"Wolverine:Origins"....ah, that brings back memories of an action book. Rich boy sits around a Victorian mansion pining after red-headed girl.....

"- don't Marvel have any talking-heads-based books they could put him on"

No, Marvel don't have any of these books anymore. "Son of M" and "Generation M" are probably the closest Marvel gets anymore.

Although, nothing ever really seems to happen in Peter Milligan's "X-Men" either, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I think Marvel are just picking up random names along the way and putting them on random books and hoping they sell, as Marvel's books look like a real mess when you look at most of the creative teams.

Gordon    0
The Writer (Daniel Way) has been very forthcoming about the fact that Wolverine (or Wolverine: Origins, as the new book will be entitled) needs to be an action book, and that component  has been neglected with the more philosophical approach that both Greg Rucka and Mark Millar (!) took with the book.

The fuck? Millar's whole run was one long action set-piece. Daniel Way is either Captain Disingenuous, utterly deluded, or taking the piss.

Exactly, I vividly recall an entire issue of Mark Millar’s Wolverine run that was Matt Murdock beating the fuck out of Logan and a Cadre of The Hand in a spectacularly one sided fashion.

Back on topic, the first Loveless trade has been scheduled for April, which is fast even by Vertigo/Azzerello standards.

My take is....

Exterminators #1 - Utter shite.

Testament #1 - Potentially great.

Loveless #1 & #2 - Loving it.

DMZ - Pretty good.

Exterminators and DMZ seem to be getting most positive noises from people but I think they are the weaker of the four.

DMZ is still one I intend to read though, it has the potential to start boring me if it doesn't keep up some sort of pace and develop in an interesting way.

Loveless has got off to a very strong start in my opinion. I got hooked by the sample in a Hellblazer issue, I wouldn't have picked up a comic by Azarello if they hadn't forced it under my nose like that.

Testament. Well this one is on probation, I think I'll give it ten issues maximum to grip me.

Exterminators. I really didn't like this one. A comic about morons killing rodents and insects is not really my thing. I'm glad I downloaded this to check out instead of buying it. It is now deleted.

I am looking forward to Mike Carey's new series if it appears before the end of this year too, and also Bite Club looks interesting. Hellblazer has a new writer who I think might take a very fresh perspective and I am optimistic even though we lost Mike Carey. Neverwhere continues for a few more issues.

I think Vertigo looks pretty healthy even if it is probably lacking something of the brilliance of Sandman, Preacher or Transmetropolitan after Lucifer ends.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

I'm with Josh on this one. None of the books were particularly compelling, though I very much like the art in DMZ.

TomC    0

Am I the only person round here who's seriously enjoying DMZ? Seems like everyone else is kind of undecided on it, but I'm delighted with it, personally.

Gordon    0
Am I the only person round here who's seriously enjoying DMZ? Seems like everyone else is kind of undecided on it, but I'm delighted with it, personally.

Ade’s fairly unequivocal in his appreciation of DMZ, as was I, before I started writing a lengthy review of it. hopefully I’ll be back to enthusiastically appreciating it soon.

Gordon.

A. Heathen    1,171
Not to be a cheeky bugger or anything but did you ever post out that second issue of Local, Ade ?

Ooops !

If you still want it I'll do it Friday.

A. Heathen    1,171

Yeah but did you see Jock's art that he posted?

Man's a genius.

They should keep *him* on Swamp Thing.

And here's the prelminaries

script.jpg

pps89.jpg

James    38

Where's the Jock art?

And look! Can't Get No gets mentioned! And it's only taken three years!

Mark    333

In the "Bradstreet Prints" thread, I think.

James    38

Cheers, Mark.

Hmm:

Berger also took a moment to promote Vertigo's "sleeper of the year," Simon Oliver and Tony Moore's "The Exterminators" -- "'Preacher' without the religion"

If I was Simon Oliver, I'd be a bit worried that my book was being promoted as a sleeper hit after only one issue...

A. Heathen    1,171

Unless she means it's going to be a hit like Sleeper.

(The Woody Allen film.)