JohnMcMahon

Vertigo back on the ledge

I didn't even know they had goths in Scotland. :laugh:

Have you never been to Edinburgh?

Nope.

Black kilts with pink skulls on them and sporrans from Alchemy Metalwear?

Black kilts with pink skulls on them and sporrans from Alchemy Metalwear?

You have been!

Admittedly I've not been back up for a few years, but when I lived in Embra in the 90s, it seemed pretty much to be the Goth capital of the world – but largely incomers rather than natives. I blame all the pointy architecture and lack of sunlight.

They all read Sandman, of course.

Is Eric Kripke the one who does Supernatural, or Sheldon's nemesis in Big Bang Theory? If the latter I might try this.

The former, and I've enjoyed the first few issues of Jacked. It's a bit padded but it's well written and fun. David Baillie's Red Thorn looks promising, it's on my list.

Yeah, I'd say Red Thorn is worth reading. It's far from perfect, and needs to move away from the Goth influence that should remain forever in mid-1990s Vertigo...but, it also has a lot going for it.

I'm also enjoying The Last Gang in Town, although I do wish it was a bit more serious. I get that it's written solely with Punk aesthetics in mind, but if it would stay a bit more grounded in reality, it would be one of Vertigo's best titles for a number of years. As it stands, it's still well worth a read, but I find it flawed.

http://www.comicbook...bonds-departure

Shelly Bond goes bye-bye. Seems she was actually given the boot, instead of just resigning, based on the statement's wording.

That could be reaching a bit?

On the other hand: "Right! That's the last Gaiman's cronies out of editorial, now we can start in on that Sandman relaunch at last!"

I think she's the last person DC had on its editorial staff who'd actually worked on the Sandman and so thinks that Gaiman's gentlemen's agreement with Karen Berger might still apply?

(Actually, that's a false association, as you could quite easily have people in the latter group who aren't members of the first group, but I think everybody else who was involved with editorial on the Sandman is now gone, and Shelly Bond was the last holdout left.)

I can't wait to see Morpheus:The Sandman coming as part of the big DC relaunch! I wonder if they can get the current Constantine writing team to work on the book? Except, they could take a cue from the Lucifer TV show as to how they portray Morpheus, because I think the current Constantine revamp failed because it stuck a bit too closely to Hellblazer. I think fans want something zanier that bears even less resemblance to the original. Like, maybe Morpheus gets trapped in the "waking world" and has to get a job? Except, people mistake him for an illegal immigrant (because that's a big trendy topic right now). He acts all haughty and says things like, "Grah! I am Morpheus, Lord of Dreams! I am above such lowliness!", but the joke is that everyone thinks that he's speaking a foreign language. I think that could be a great series. Oh, and he meets an actual illegal immigrant woman, who shows him the humanity he has inside, and Morpheus gradually learns how to love again! This stuff writes itself. Maybe his new arch-enemy can be.....Wotan! Sandman will use his helmet to "hulk up" (they won't call it that though, for obvious reasons), and throws people's dreams at Wotan. It'll be really symbolic, which is something that Gaiman would approve!

Since Wotan showed up in an episode of the old Wonder Woman TV show one time, it sets up an early cross-over with Wonder Woman perfectly. That'll help bring in readers. "The team-up you always wanted to see, but never dreamt possible!" will be the tag-line.

• Upvote 1

Like, maybe Morpheus gets trapped in the "waking world" and has to get a job? Except, people mistake him for an illegal immigrant (because that's a big trendy topic right now). He acts all haughty and says things like, "Grah! I am Morpheus, Lord of Dreams! I am above such lowliness!", but the joke is that everyone thinks that he's speaking a foreign language. I think that could be a great series. Oh, and he meets an actual illegal immigrant woman, who shows him the humanity he has inside, and Morpheus gradually learns how to love again!

There was a (rather good) comics series in Deadline doing this to the Devil back in the early '90s. No illegal immigrant jokes (as that wasn't a hot topic back then), but it did do a very funny job with your central joke. (Quite possibly it was mocking the Sandman, with the assumption that Satan would get on Norman's bike, rather than sitting around in a bubble sulking for fifty years...)

So, that's who the Lucifer TV show is attempting to plagiarize! They just knew that police procedurals sell, so made a little change.