JohnMcMahon

Vertigo back on the ledge

Did I hear that Bob Shreck has moved to Vertigo now that Karen Berger's been promoted ?

Bizarre, but promising - his leadership of Dark Horse was definitely ace.

From that San Die Go thing.

CCI, DAY 2: VITAL VERTIGO

by Arune Singh, Staff Writer

Posted: July 21, 2006

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7913

First was "Pride of Baghdad," Vaughan's new original graphic novel with artist Niko Henrichon. "It's the Iraq war from an animal's point of view," said the scribe of the OGN, based on the true story of lions who escaped a the zoo in Baghdad.

I dunno. This has been out there for so long that I wish Vertigo would hold back telling us how good they are going to be and got on with sorting things out now.

Issue #50 of Vaughan's other series, "Y- The Last Man" will reveal who- or what- caused the plague. The series ends with issue #60. "The ending will be very satisfying. All your questions will be answered," he said.

Berger said that series like "Y" epitomize the strength of Vertigo- stories with definitive ends, in either graphic novels or ongoing series formats.

I might come back to this when all the trades are out, but got emboredened by that sado-masochism arc.

Brian Wood will be drawing an issue of "DMZ," issue #12 specifically, and promises lots of good times.

Hooray !

Over in "Hellblazer," Constantine has been cursed with empathy for others…but don't expect it to turn out too well for everyone around the titular "hero."

Wow. rilly? That's sooo like amayyzing.

They treat Hellblazer like it's a fucking albatross don't they?

Vertigo's "Deadman" isn't your father's Deadman—this one features an airline pilot who becomes Deadman.

So it's "A Deadman" (qv A Bizarro by Gerber and "A Swamp Thing" by Muth)

We'll also see "1001 Nights Of Snowfall," an original graphic novel with an all star artist lineup, from Jill Thompson to Charles Vess to Buckingham doing painted work. The story takes place before the first issue of "Fables," where Snow White goes to the Arabian Fable Lands to get their help in their battle. Snow White will have to tell numerous yarns to keep the Sultan to save her life, essentially playing a game of "Scheherezade/"

Old school Vertigo at its best by the sound of it.

CBR News has talked with Mike Carey about his new series "Crossing Midnight" in the past and Vertigo officially announced the book today. Jim Fern will be taking care of the art duties. The book is about two Japanese twins born on either side of midnight, and when one twin is kidnapped, the other must save her.

Mike was telling about this the other day, and I am so glad he developed a taste for Asian horror :)

We'll also see "The Un-Men," an ongoing book about deformed creatures created by Anton Arcane to fight the legendary Swamp Thing. It's going to be a "real good horror book" said Berger, and said there will be a good crime mystery angle to it. John Whalen writes and Mike Hawthorne illustrates the series.

"It's like (insert Vertigo or obscure DC title here) but with (insert fiction genre here)" Yee-fucking-awn. In fact this sounds like someone's been reading the work of Steve Niles. I like Mike Hawthorne's art tho'

There's another new mini-series from Vertigo entitled "Faker," by Mike Carey and artist Jock. It's about some kids partying in Minnesota, partying hard, only to find that the next day, one is missing. It's supposed to be a bit scary and will appeal to fans of "Buffy."

I like that Dandy Warhols song "minnesoter".

"Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep Of Reason" follows the Middle East successor to the Sandman moniker and follows a reporter who finds the Sandman mask and gun.

"It's like Sandman Mystery Theatre but with terrapins - no wait! - terrorists" (at least we get Bradstreet covers)

"Silverfish" is a new project from David Lapham, a hardcover graphic novel in black, white and grey tones. "It's full of textbook Laphamisms," said Bond. It's a hard hitting crime book that's expected to be on shelves in 2007.

Good. I like his crime stuff V much and if he had to waste his time on a few Batman stories in order to get his pulp crime noir to a bigger audience then it wasn't time wasted.

"Cairo" is about a young woman's trip to Cairo and a group of dangerous people she becomes involved with, including a drug dealer and a genie. It's written by G. Willow Wilson, a journalist, and artist M.K Perker.

"It's like Fables but with drugs and egyptology."

Rick Vetich's new book "Army @ Love" is, "'Desperate Housewives' meets 'MASH,'" said Berger. The books follows a unit of soldiers from the same suburban town.

I don't understand "Can't Get No"'s words. If it had been completely word free I'd have loved it.

"God Save The Queen" is the new graphic novel by Mike Carey, with art by John Bolton. It deals with Titania from "Sandman" and "Books of Magic," focusing on Fairie junkies… Yeah, you heard 'em right.

"It's like Books of Fairy but with junkies".

Then there's "Icognegro" ("One of our best titles ever," smiled Berger), which chronicles an investigation into the real life lynching in the Southern US. It's written by Mat Johnson, with art by Warren Pleece and follows undercover agents in a hate group who are investigating the aforementioned murders.

Finally, there's "Alcoholic," by writer Jonathan Ames and artist Dean Haspiel, a story of one writer's journey of self-exploration

Worst pun ever, Karen. Damn shame because the book sounds very interesting.

And finally, sounds like work for Ade ! (And I must find out more about that one because it really is my area of interest.

Overall ? Nothing new but we're given no real info on series length etc. If 80% of them turn out to be one-offs or OGNs I'll be happier.

I downloaded the fist 40 or so issues of Y there, after giving up on it initially after #2, and it's kinda alright in places. The S&M story you mention was a weird un, especially the reason behind it all - the Preacher lighter bit alone is so cringe-worthy though that I doubt I'll ever pick it up in the shops.

Wasn't expecting too much out of SDCC, Vertigo wise, we're not even into the first full year of the last round of new titles yet - all of which, with the exception of Testement, I'm quite enjoying. DMZ being the stand-out title for me, Matty took a little while to warm to but the story around him helped carry the series till he won me over. Ok, ok - I just like that he seems to get shit dumped on him, issue in and issue out!

Icognegro...Jaysus...still, when you're lumbered with Warren Pleece as the artist, a shit title's the least of your worries.

CBR is down at the mo but their blurb on the Vertigo panel mentioned a new series set during the Vietnam war called The Otherside.

the only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Fables hardcover.

Then there's "Icognegro" ("One of our best titles ever," smiled Berger), which chronicles an investigation into the real life lynching in the Southern US. It's written by Mat Johnson, with art by Warren Pleece and follows undercover agents in a hate group who are investigating the aforementioned murders.

Finally, there's "Alcoholic," by writer Jonathan Ames and artist Dean Haspiel, a story of one writer's journey of self-exploration

Worst pun ever, Karen. Damn shame because the book sounds very interesting.

And finally, sounds like work for Ade ! (And I must find out more about that one because it really is my area of interest.

Overall ? Nothing new but we're given no real info on series length etc. If 80% of them turn out to be one-offs or OGNs I'll be happier.

Shouldn't the pun be Incognegro? or is there some other pun that I'm overlooking?

I'm looking forward to 1001 Nights Of Snowfall

Silverfish sounds interesting.

Might be interested in the new Sandman Mystery Theatre, love the old series and this sounds interesting. Have to see how it turns out.

I downloaded the fist 40 or so issues of Y there, after giving up on it initially after #2, and it's kinda alright in places. The S&M story you mention was a weird un, especially the reason behind it all - the Preacher lighter bit alone is so cringe-worthy though that I doubt I'll ever pick it up in the shops.

Bit harsh that. I actually thought the first three or four trades worth of Y was great fun. It's getting a little repetitive and boring these days but that initial stretch was rather good. And I actually quite like the referentiality - found the Preacher thing a bit of a hoot, silly but amusing.

Going to have to give DMZ a shot.

Oh, and which S&M plot are you referring to? Been a while since I read the early issues and perhaps I repressed that plot if its that bad!

the Preacher lighter bit alone is so cringe-worthy though that I doubt I'll ever pick it up in the shops.

If you mean the bit on the mountain then I thought the payoff to that conversation saved it -

"In real life I'M the strongest man in the world."

Icognegro...Jaysus...still, when you're lumbered with Warren Pleece as the artist, a shit title's the least of your worries.

Pleece's work on that thing from the DC Focus line was all right. I think he's okay so long as he's not using the thick, 20p felt-tips he was apparently drawing with during his stint on Hellblazer.

Some of those books sound interesting.

Some of them sound like mistakes.

But, it seems Vertigo is a company in search of an identity right now and picking and choosing straws to see which ones suit the company best doesn't sound like a bad idea right now.

the Vertigo panel mentioned a new series set during the Vietnam war called The Otherside.

Yeah not much was said about it except that Karen Berger thinks it's "great" (but she says that about almost everything). The writer was on hand and basically just mentioned how he went to Vietnam for research purposes which is great to get the details of the landscape correct but probably not all that helpfull for historical purposes.

I gave a quick look through of a B&W preview of "Pride of Bagdad" and wasn't all that impressed, but then I didn't really give it my full attention.

As I said before, some of the new titles could be good, but I've been disappointed too many times before by Vertigo to get too excited about any new project.

I read in a copy of Comic Previews that the Vietnam War comic was going to be written from the P.O.V. of Viet-Cong soldiers.

They said it's part of a new line of books from Vertigo which are going to be slice-of-life or non-genre comics.

Personally, I'm excited about this direction, but you're right about the level of disappoinment from everchanging Vertigo in recent years.

Pride of Baghdad looks interesting because it's a different and original tale about the Iraq War.

I was shaking my head in disgust hearing that Vertigo was going to have a graphic novel about the Iraq War, until I read that the plot is actually about a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad zoo trying to survive in a war-torn land.

That sounds a lot more interesting!

But, it could be awful....Who knows?

I like Warren Pleece.

As do all men and women of good heart: this bullshit with Hellblazer fans bitching against him because he isn't Sean Phillips is well out of order.

They said it's part of a new line of books from Vertigo which are going to be slice-of-life or non-genre comics.

because, of course, Vertigo have never done any slice of life comics before ever. At all. They never published Girl, Kill Your Boyfriend or Hell Eternal, that was somebody else...

Yeah. But doing a handful of books like that is hardly a commitment.

They originally commisioned a line of non-genre, slife-of-life books (Vertigo Verite, wasn't it?), but they quickly grew bored and stuck out some fantasy books instead.

Yeah. But doing a handful of books like that is hardly a commitment.

They originally commisioned a line of non-genre, slife-of-life books (Vertigo Verite, wasn't it?), but they quickly grew bored and stuck out some fantasy books instead.

True that.

I like Warren Pleece.

Me too.

He's consistent (anyone who doesn't like his art will still have to agree with that) and knows how to frame a story page. Better suited to Hellblazer than Camuncoli and Corben.

i don't even read fables and i can't wait for that hardcover.and again i think that carey book is gonna be fantastic,i really hope that black,white and gray book by david lapham offers some preview pages in the adds when it comes out.

"i like warren pleece."-me three.

"i like warren pleece."-me three.

Ignore me, then.

It's more fun to say "I second that emotion" no matter what number you are.

because, of course, Vertigo have never done any slice of life comics before ever. At all. They never published Girl, Kill Your Boyfriend or Hell Eternal, that was somebody else...

What Christian said - plus, Girl had fantastic elements and obviously wasn't set in the "real" world. And Kill Your Boyfriend was far too silly to pass off as "slice of life".

What Christian said - plus, Girl had fantastic elements and obviously wasn't set in the "real" world. And Kill Your Boyfriend was far too silly to pass off as "slice of life".

I thought the fantastic elements in Girl were more of a Walter Mitty thing than anything genre based. Fair point about Kill Your Boyfriend, though.

When did war stop being a genre? :wink:

I think Vertigo's idea of slice-of-life comics will mean for a while 'reaction to contemporary events', followed by the corollary, 'let's use the past [Vietnam] to criticise the present [Middle East]'. Personally, I'm far more interested in the fact that Harvey Pekar has finally been published by Vertigo, and that Gilbert Hernandez is about to be too.

and that Gilbert Hernandez is about to be too.

Sloth (Beto's graphic novel for Vertigo) came out last week!

and that Gilbert Hernandez is about to be too.

Sloth (Beto's graphic novel for Vertigo) came out last week!

Didn't he put out a miniseries there the other year, or was that one of his brothers?