Sign in to follow this  
Maritimus

Supergods

So, has anyone read it yet? I'm halfway through and can't put it down. Quite a fascinating journey through the ages of superhero comics and Morrison's own life and carreer, as well as his views on other creators work. His chapter on Alan Moore and Watchmen has especially strong opinions.. and I don't think Alan would like them much :) The book is brilliant, full of interesting observations and its over 450 pages, no slacking off with reprints of old interviews. Super highly recommended

Wow, had not heard about it, will put the word into the library of my keen anticipation.

( If one does this, and gets one or two others to do likewise, and you get your "word" in their ear before they get around to deciding on how many copies the library will buy, they go a bit mad and order five extra copies. )

I've had it on my shelf for a couple of weeks now, but not had chance to start it due to assorted work, travel, getting stuck in Celine, and being distracted by that big new Alan Moore biog.

Anyroad, yes, it's a very entertaining, informative and maybe even enlightening read. Morrison does increasingly seem like he's one trip away from launching his own religion, but there's a lot to like here. His criticisms of Alan Moore are, I'd say, harsh but fair; his criticisms of Mark Millar seem rather gentle.

There's some odd omissions, but probably depends on your own reading - I though it strange there's no mention of 'The Boys', given there's several pages on the broadly similar 'Marshal Law', and it would have fitted into the narrative at several points.

It's also often very funny - the line about Arnold Schwarzenegger's silver bollocks had me chortling maniacally; as did the description of the Sheffield event (after searching my brain to see if I'd actually been there).