TheDevilYouKnow

what voice do you hear for john constantine ??

The voice inside my head, of course.

I do have a distinctive voice for John Constantine when I read the comic, but it's not really a particular person.

It's a relatively deep and throaty voice, due to his heavy smoking.

I don't hear voices when I read. Except from people i've heard before. Thinking... Maybe the only character I put something like a specific tone would be Spider Jerusalem, but no, i don't imagine his voice either.

It didn't occurred to me, hum.

I hear him speaking in a slight Liverpool accent, but a slowish, drawling delivery, a voice with strength in it, like a Pommie Clint Eastwood.

He does not have a deep, booming voice. Rather, I think the tone is kind of light, but slightly hoarse.

I hear sort of a ...Graham Norton. :smile:

No, actually I've always heard John Lennon, but with a bit more rasp due to smoking. Being as they are both from Liverpool.

Similar to this

(but Scouse not Manc obviously)

And David Thewlis would still be a good bet for that other thread.

Oh yeah, chas is just a Londoner, I hear his voice every day.

I hear sort of a ...Graham Norton. :smile:

No, actually I've always heard John Lennon, but with a bit more rasp due to smoking. Being as they are both from Liverpool.

How about that nice Lilly Savage if we're having comedians?

I'd also hear James Marsters' voice. It just seems to fit right. I know, I know, it's not a real English accent, but everyone goes on in the comics about how distinct John's accent is, and how people can tell its him just by the accent. This to me, screams a very bass, calculating, playful in a dark sorta way voice.

I fucking love that film - as I'm generally quite happy these days I tend to go out of my way not to watch it but what a cracking piece of storytelling it is.

I'm a big fan of the Spike character (or at least the early version of it) but he never really managed the menace I'd want from a Constantine - maybe in flashbacks for a younger John though!

Chas is an easy one, Sean Pertwee - easy to see him doing a scene being berated by his missus then taking a crowbar to some mouthy kant.

Bowie's a sarf lahndahn munchkin not a sarcastic git from oop norf, though...

I confess to using John Lennon's voice a time or two because his accent is Liverpool, right? Authentication is everything.

Not Ringo?

"Johnny the Constantine trundled into the station..."

Lennon for his speaking voice, Ringo for the internal monologue.

My notion is probbaly formed from having first read Original Sins and the description of his accent there. It is described (from memory) as a Seventies London accent. So, if you imagine a scouser coming down to London and then affecting a very London accent (probbaly was very Johnny Rotten) and over the years that gets a bit eroded, gruffer from years of smoking, sort of threadbare as a bit of scouse pokes through, but also more genuinely London just from being here. I'd also assume he's quiet good at accents when he wants to be.

So, the early Constantine, just out of Ravenscar is sort of pretentiously London, uses it as a sort of pretence and as disguise. Today, he can't give afuck and usually sounds like a Londoner, but maybe not native, but a few days in Liverpool and he sounds scouse again.

Chas sounds like the love-child of Ray Winstone and Roger Lloyd-Pack with a bit of the Mitchell Brothers thrown in for good measure.