TheDevilYouKnow

what voice do you hear for john constantine ??

Lennon for his speaking voice, Ringo for the internal monologue.

My notion is probbaly formed from having first read Original Sins and the description of his accent there. It is described (from memory) as a Seventies London accent. So, if you imagine a scouser coming down to London and then affecting a very London accent (probbaly was very Johnny Rotten) and over the years that gets a bit eroded, gruffer from years of smoking, sort of threadbare as a bit of scouse pokes through, but also more genuinely London just from being here. I'd also assume he's quiet good at accents when he wants to be.

So, the early Constantine, just out of Ravenscar is sort of pretentiously London, uses it as a sort of pretence and as disguise. Today, he can't give afuck and usually sounds like a Londoner, but maybe not native, but a few days in Liverpool and he sounds scouse again.

Chas sounds like the love-child of Ray Winstone and Roger Lloyd-Pack with a bit of the Mitchell Brothers thrown in for good measure.

^ hit the nail on the friggin' head.

i highly doubt every scouser out there is gonna sound exactly like a beatles member, especially if they've lived in london or some other area most of their lives.

buuuut its all up to interpretation really :tongue:

Since Mike Carey started writing his dialogue to actually sound like a Liverpudlian, I've heard him with Ricky Tomlinson's voice. It's given me many laughs over the past few years.

So, if you imagine a scouser coming down to London and then affecting a very London accent (probbaly was very Johnny Rotten) and over the years that gets a bit eroded, gruffer from years of smoking, sort of threadbare as a bit of scouse pokes through, but also more genuinely London just from being here. I'd also assume he's quiet good at accents when he wants to be.

So, the early Constantine, just out of Ravenscar is sort of pretentiously London, uses it as a sort of pretence and as disguise. Today, he can't give afuck and usually sounds like a Londoner, but maybe not native, but a few days in Liverpool and he sounds scouse again.

This makes the most sense to me. I'd only disagree with the last clause; the London overlay would be habit by now, though a little time in Liverpool might bring out a bit of the original accent to anyone who is paying attention, especially if that's Constantine's intention.

As to which cultural figure's voice would be best, I don't have enough handle on British cultural figures or British accents. I often can't tell British accents from those of other Commonwealth countries. But some time spent in London would probably be fascinating for all the distinctly different accents in one place.

The accent topping up when you go home or spend time with compatriots is very true, Josh.

Probably even more for our small geographical area, large variation country.

And there's been a trend towards a multinational amalgam in London which is less prominent in other cities.

As part of his magical charm, I imagine he speaks to people in such a way that they can be subtly manipulated. There was a comment from him once about speaking hypnotically along with slight of hand is all the magic he needed on most days, so I imagine his accent changing slightly from person to person. Like with Cheryl and Gemma, that scouse may come out a bit more, but when he's speaking to Watford, for example, he's all Londoner.