JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

Christian    744

The art will work, but I won't be around, because I don't care about the writer, and I'm looking to make room on my pull list.

I doubt it will end like vol. 1 though....with Alec Holland becoming human. heh

A. Heathen    1,129

No loss, maybe they'll learn their lesson and leave old green genes well enough alone now.

Let him join the JLA with Animal Man.

WHOAH ! All the evil we have done on the internet truly is preserved in amber.

ANyway, I was really looking for the right place to post this photo

14259_239292963288_4584721_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

To think of a day when I was young and inexperieced that I had never read Aquaman or Martian Manhunter or Hawkworld...

My older, more experienced self doesn't even recognized such a mewling babe.

I can only wonder what my vote was in the poll of this thread. Probably a four.

It's funny that we were speculating about what an Andy Diggle run on HB would have been like. Our world in 2013 is almost like an issue of "What If?". We weren't too far off, except for all the complaining about "too many big monsters". Instead, we just saw lots and lots of continity dredged. Even continuity that had been solved a decade beforehand was brought back.

Where's Tony B with his discussions of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? We've been waiting seven years now, Tony.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,129

I dunno about jumping off Swamp Thing right now. I will certainly be waiting and seeing.

Charles Soule seems to have intentions that would improve on the long form arc we just had, more in keeping with Alan Moore's format for the title.

http://www.comicvine.com/swamp-thing/4005-15809/forums/interview-charles-soule-talks-swamp-thing-story-ar-746719/#24

My plan is to treat SWAMP THING a bit like a serialized TV show, where there's a "season-long" arc, but each episode is also its own self-contained story. So, there will be an overarching mystery that Swampy will delve into, but I'm planning to do smaller, very distinct stories of 1-3 issues each. I'd like a reader to come away from any single issue with a very clear vibe of what the issue was about, whether that's by putting it in a particular setting, or via the characters Alec interacts with, or some big action sequence or emotional moment.

I'm looking forward to doing it this way because it will let me vary up the tone a bit from issue to issue. Swamp Thing is such a flexible character that his stories can veer from abject horror to a more philosophical feel, or even something absurd, surreal or totally action-based, and it will all work. I just want the reader to have a good time and I plan to make that happen by packing each issue with as many cool ideas I can dream up.

There was an allusion in #18 to someone who is suitable to take over from Alec Holland as avatar for the green, and I hoped that might be Tefe, but it may be this "new super cool character in the Swamp Thing team".

It occurs to me that Swamp Thing cover has Swamp Thing burning at the touch of fear :-)

Shawn    297

That actually fills me with some hope. I'll check out an issue or two from Soule. Although, way things have been going he might end up leaving the book after that :)

Lou K    1,057

So Charles Soule's Swamp Thing 3 19...it was a fun read, dug the art and the way the Scarecrow looked; really wicked.

Not sure I'm in for the long haul but

Alec's a bit more of a dick, eh? I kind of like it.

And wow, way to guard a highly dangerous poisonous flower. That chain sure is keeping them out. Well done.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

So Charles Soule's Swamp Thing 3 19...it was a fun read, dug the art and the way the Scarecrow looked; really wicked.

Not sure I'm in for the long haul but

Alec's a bit more of a dick, eh? I kind of like it.

And wow, way to guard a highly dangerous poisonous flower. That chain sure is keeping them out. Well done.

This makes me happy! Also, I saw the preview and was surprisngly impressed. I'll give it a few issues.

A. Heathen    1,129

That Swamp Thing crossover with Superman turned out to be a gem.

Genuine emotional impact at the end, and I prefer the art to recent issues of the book.

Oh, almost forgot to mention Zatanna's unfeasible boobs and brokeback waist at the beginning of Phantom Stranger. Which was a shame because there was a nice Steve Bissette / Brent Anderson vibe going on for some of the face work.

Lou K    1,057

Agreed on ST, Ade. As many problems as I had with the over all story, it was simply a fun read.

I particularly thought it was funny how Scarcrow went through a few different toxins before he found one that worked. And then it was like,"Oh...fuck..."

And yeah, the art was really good.

But I don't know if I will carry on wiith it or not.

slinker    893

So, we're to #23 and I thought you guys said it was good. King John, is it?

T8Q1o8Y.jpg

5UCRw2Q.jpg

A. Heathen    1,129

Still reading but this is now on my "stockpile a few issues" list rather than "read immediately".

Soule is a damn fine writer as it happens.

Shame DC Editorial is being run by drones.

A. Heathen    1,129

And with the final panel of the latest issue (#31?) Swamp Thing enters DC's Crossover Of Shite and departs my pull list,

I would have to read Josh Dysart's run to get the next arc out of mah head.

So no, I am out.

A. Heathen    1,129

I reckon this and Constantine have fragments of potential.

The latest issue still has a ridiculous conspiracy going on around Swampy without really conveying that air of aloof unawareness that was a factor in the Veitch, Millar and Vaughan years. It has more "roots" (LOL) in the stories that preceded Alan Moore's run, and seriously DC is OB-fucking-SESSED with great big organisations and cults.

"Oh, the Green Lanterns, we need the rainbow of Lanterns"

"Oh, we need to make up a collective of loosely affliiated magicians to FIGHT CONSTANTINE"

"Oh, we have The Green and The Red and The Grey and The Blue and The Brown, we need a Parliament of Electrical Household Appliances, but what color shall the be?"

A. Heathen    1,129

In the comic shop yesterday, I was shocked by the cover of a comic claiming to be Swamp Thing.

You will recall, I dropped it due to DCU52 infestation and boring plots.

So I opened it up to have a look and sure enough, it is not a Swamp Thing comic at all, but some sort plant/cyborg amalgam thing about one of the supporting cast. I say "supporting" but I mean zzzzzzz.

I kept searching for Swamp Thing.

I think he may appear on 3 pages or something.

The plant robot lady may well be intending to kill Swampy.

I don't know.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/12/exclusive-dc-comics-swamp-thing-37-preview/

A. Heathen    1,129

we need a Parliament of Electrical Household Appliances, but what color shall the be?"

Shit, i predicted this, I AM CASSANDRA !!!

Shawn    297

"a dire visit from John Constantine" ?

What, they compare notes on being poorly written, whilst remembering their salad days at Vertigo? Swampy warns John of the pitfalls of network TV adaptations?

• Upvote 6

A. Heathen    1,129

"Cancelled" in March along with several others, leading into Convergence (9 weeks in which all the DC line is collapsed into one story?)

And lined up for Del Toro film ... so I expect some sort of well written relaunch in the next two years.