JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

JasonT    443
In the comic shop yesterday, I was shocked by the cover of a comic claiming to be Swamp Thing.

http://www.nerdist.c...ing-37-preview/

Looks like I'm not the target readership for this title. I prefer at least 5 panels per page of comic book. And I've already seen the Cybermen episodes of Doctor Who.

emot-rimshot.gif

A. Heathen    1,131

While Constantine has been handling the crossover well, the story that made me drop the Swamp Book shambles on like a mud-encrusted mockery of a story.

Concepts:

A list missing only The Shit.

Someone on the facebook mentioned that Constantine turned up in the latest issue, and thankfully I found this excellent review site

http://retcon-punch....swamp-thing-39/

soule-as-constantine.jpg

One hopes that post-convergence, Swamp Thing reverts to a horror book.

Christian    752

I am definitely not watching this if Mark Hamill is playing with himself, animated or not!

There's a Swamp Thing Winter Special coming out this January, written by Tom King. That should be worth a look.

JasonT    443
On 09/11/2017 at 9:40 AM, Christian said:

There's a Swamp Thing Winter Special coming out this January, written by Tom King. That should be worth a look.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.

seventhcircle    584
On 8.11.2017 at 11:40 PM, Christian said:

I am definitely not watching this if Mark Hamill is playing with himself, animated or not!

You will and you will Luke it!

dogpoet    463

Is this the right place to ask why the 2006 Man-Thing movie is more like a Swamp Thing movie should be than any of the Swamp Thing movies?

Christian    752

I never saw the film. I remember Marvel got Hans Rodinoff to write a comic that was a revamp of the Man Thing to make him closer to the film version. The comic was not very good.

dogpoet    463

The film is. Not at all Gerberish, but as a straightforwards horror story with a monster inflicting terrible punishments on those who deserve it (and several who don't) it's great fun. There's even characters called Gerber and Ploog in there.

Is the Rodinoff comic the thing with the pasted up horror host introducing each episode and Liam Sharp artwork? That's nothing like the film, if so, so you shouldn't let it put you off any.

Christian    752

No. That was the Dead of Night: Man Thing series from a few years later. That mostly seemed like attempts to retell Gerber stories, only not anywhere near as good (read "stupid").

The Rodinoff comic sounds similar to the film (well, same writer at the film). It seemed like pretty generic horror fiction.

Man-Thing (2004 4th Series) 1

dogpoet    463

Didn't see that one. The film's still worth a look, though. Did they change M-T to make him look more like the (rather nice) redesign he had for the film?

Christian    752

Well, I'm not exactly sure what he looked like in the film, but they did redesign him in this comic, yeah. He had a lot more tree branches sticking out of him, it looked like.

At first, I thought you wrote Mr. T, not M-T, and I thought that Mr. T was in the movie, and I was going to say that they didn't bother to introduce Mr. T in to the Marvel Universe, no. "I pity the fool whom burns at the Man Thing's touch!" (even though that wasn't the Man Thing's shtick in the revamp....)

Man-Thing (2004 4th Series) 3

dogpoet    463

My point was more that he's being treated as an elemental spirit that's arisen to deal with the wrongheaded than a mad scientist who's messed up in this one, but fair enough.

Christian    752

Oh, yeah, something about a Native American guardian spirit of the swamp. Although, the older comics did have that the Man Thing was created at that exact spot in the swamps of Citrusville because that was the location of the Nexus of All Realities, and Sallis was chosen to be its guardian.

The whole revenge against environmental ne'er-do-wells was more akin to Swampy. Although, Swamp Thing was never a mindless force of nature. Man Thing might not have been a force of nature, but he was mindless.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, Rodinoff's comic was ripping off the Steve Gerber issue where the land developer wanted to build in the swamp, and Man Thing was driven to protect his swamp.

Fear (1970) 16

The first Swamp Thing movie did bear many resemblances to the 1980s comic book from the pre-Moore days though.

dogpoet    463

Which was in the film as well: the spat between FA Schist and the local Indian tribe is what starts all the trouble there. (The nexus gets mentioned in passing, but that's about it for that one.)