JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

Christian    752

:lol:

OMG! I think I'm having a minor heart attack laughing so hard about the "Superman had to pay off a major debt" thing....

:lol:

Tom-I'm going to take your criticism of those Ostrander series seriously, and not spend any money hunting down back-issues. Glad I read that before I started shelling out the bucks!

Did you read his "Hawkworld" series? Is that worth buying?

No, I'v never read Hawkman.

As for Martian Manhunter, you have to bear in mind that I absolutely love that character and I don't like for anyone to deviate too far from what DeMatties set up in JLI and his 4 parter.

Chuck Austen's recent MM story in JLA is, hands down, the worst characterisation of MM I've ever read. It read more like the animated version than anything else.

As for Ostrander's ongoing MM series, it just struck me quite often as just another "work for hire" gig. DC needed a MM ongoing, following the Morrison JLA revamp and Ostrander must have been the first person to walk past Dan Raspler's window.

Some of it, particularly the stuff about J'Onn's dead wife was quite touching (bear in mind this was not long after Ostrander's wife, Kim Yale, had died) but most of it just seemed off-base. To be honest, I was relieved when it was cancelled.

I think that's probably my main problem with "work for hire" stuff is that things are often put together just to keep a franchise going rather than because a creator 'A' really wants to use character 'B'.

I think that that's one of the secrets of Hellblazer's longevity. Creators really want to use the character.

I'd jump at the chance to write a Martian Manhunter series though.

Christian    752

You'd never be able to touch the quality of DeMatteis' mini-series though ;) .

God, that was a beautiful mini. I remember it touching me very deeply when I read it. I should reread that soon.... Add that to my list of "must read DeMatteis comics" over on the "Sing My Praises" thread!

James    38
I think that that's one of the secrets of Hellblazer's longevity. Creators really want to use the character.

And of course the only creator who didn't really care about the character much was - drumroll - Brian Azzarello.

Edit: and Eddie Campbell.

Rogan    176
AQUAMAN. A costumed super-hero, gifted with the power to make sea creatures obey his commands, who is the product of a union between a lighthouse keeper and a young woman of ATLANTIS.

In July 1960, after Clark Kent has been swallowed by a whale while on an expedition to photograph marine life for the DAILY PLANET, Aquaman rescues Kent from his predicament so that Kent will not be forced, by rescuing himself, to betray the fact that he is secretly SUPERMAN (S No. 138/3: "The Mermaid from Atlantis!").

In January 1961, at the request of Superman, Aquaman assumes the fictitious identity of MENTAL MAN as part of the Man of Steel's scheme to apprehend the "ACE" RUGGLES gang (Act No. 272: "Superman's Rival, Mental Man!").

In October 1961, after an overzealous agent for the Internal Revenue Service has declared Superman delinquent in his income taxes in the amount of $1,000,000,000, Aquaman scours the ocean for the world's biggest oyster to produce the world's largest pearl (S No. 148/3: "Superman Owes a Billion Dollars!"). (See BRAND, RUPERT.)

In November 1963, when Clark Kent is in imminent danger of drowning after an encounter with red KRYPTONITE has temporarily robbed him of his super-powers, it is Aquaman who finds him and carries him to Atlantis, where "a new form of artificial respiration" is used to save Kent's life (S No. 165/2: "The Sweetheart Superman Forgot!"). (See SELWYN, SALLY.)

Christian    752

Let's see....

He's a strange visitor from another planet.

He lives in Antartica or on the moon.

I seriously doubt he has a registed Social Security number under the name "Superman".

If he does not, no one knows who the hell he is (because Clark Kent wears glasses!), and you can't charge taxes to a man without a known identity.

Where does this IRS agent send this bill to?! Superman doesn't have a listed address, for all the govt. knows he's some homeless guy with super powers!

I find so many plot holes with this story! Shame on that editor!

JohnMcMahon    566

Swamp Thing 4.09 : Hmmmmmmm. Easily the best issue of the relaunch but still lumbered down with a couple of flaws. As with the recent Veitch trade, Abby is written as a weak, lovelorn fool incapable of getting on with her life after her latest break-up with Swamp Thing. Tefe being a lesbian comes across as gratuitous but I'll give im a chance to see if it goes anywhere.

Onto the good stuff - the bits in hell are really good, the art is perfectly suited to the grotesque, warped nature of the scenes set there. The main story felt very old-school Vertigo to me, off-kilter in a suitably disturbing manner.

I'll be back for #10, which is something of a surprise.

Chris    2

I read the first three Tim Truman miniseries issues of Hawkman, and its the best use of the character I've ever seen. Made him plausible like. Haven't read what Ostrander did after that.

I think Swampthing is best left in the 80's. I don't know much about the early 90's stuff or anything post-Moore really. I think he should just be left as an entity present in the Vertigo universe. A bit of Irony that John Constantine, who first appeared as a guest character in Swamp Thiing, has more sustainability than Swamp Thing who is now best relegated to a guest character.

Wait, did that make sense?

Chris    2

Oh yeah, and I think they should make a darker version of Aquaman and make him black, and speak ebonics.

Blaquaman anyone?

Rogan    176

How about MatBan and Borin'?

i've yet to read the swamp thing issue in question, but i browsed through it, aqnd the art seemed okay. Not too happyto heart about the lesbo-Tefe and weak-Abby, but we'll see.

Christian    752

Nah, Blaqsploitation went out in 1978....

Where the hell did "Hawkman" come from?!?!

Anyway, since you brought him up, I'm really interested in the new "Hawkman" series. I've heard great stuff about it! James Robinson wrote the first year or so, then Geoff Johns took over. He left a few months ago and some guy named Jimmy Palmiotti (SP?) took over, but I'm not so sure about the series after Johns.

I have the one-off issue written by Ed Brubaker saved at the store.

erroljr    0

Check out new author Joshua Dysart's commentaries and answers to criticisms at the DC/Vertigo/Swamp Thing message board, under the "Arcane's Back" thread. He seems pretty cool; I reckon I'll give him a chance, though I wasn't too happy with the elimination of swampy's multi-elemental powers. At least Dysart's willing to take the time to hobnob with regular readers, for which I give him kudos.

–Seth–    0

so i finally finished my full run of ST vol. 2 which ravenously purchased after finding out Johnny boy made his debut in the series.

My question is what the heck did they do/are they doing in volumes 3 and currently 4? I mean he's practically a god of earth. The issue of Abby, Tefe's grudge for daddy exploding her, as well as Chester and Liz (not as an item jsut characters) are unanswered by the final issue.

what all did they do in the next 2 volumes to keep fans interested and stuff? did Tefe become the main ST, or something else? I'm not really a fan on how it ended. It went all macrocosmic and the shift was super abrupt and annoying. Grant Morrison was the one who did it too when he took over. Why is it I don't like when he touches my favorite books? I wasn't happy with this run on HB either, for the most part.

anyway, if anyone reads ST or has read them let me know. I'm interested, although I doubt i'll go pick up the 3rd and 4th volumes of back issues or start reading them anew.

thanks

wolvy    57

Volume 3 was Brian K Vaughan run. And it lasted like 20 issues. I'v heard it wasnt that good. It mainly focused on Tefe. Volume 4 from what I hear isnt doing too good.

andy    2

As far as I'm concerned Swamp Thing had the perfect conclusion with the end of Mark Millar's run at issue #171. The characters should have been retired allowing for the cameo in the odd DC or Vertigo book. The rest has been in my opinion a sad attempt at milking dry the teet of Alan Moore's reputation. I hate to say it but at this point I'll buy an issue of Swamp Thing only if it features Constantine just because I'm a completist with our John.

–Seth–    0
As far as I'm concerned Swamp Thing had the perfect conclusion with the end of Mark Millar's run at issue #171.  The characters should have been retired allowing for the cameo in the odd DC or Vertigo book.  The rest has been in my opinion a sad attempt at milking dry the teet of Alan Moore's reputation.  I hate to say it but at this point I'll buy an issue of Swamp Thing only if it features Constantine just because I'm a completist with our John.

heh well i did like how it ended in a way, but it still left too much unresolved, IMO. sure, so abby spots him in the woods, he smiles at her and vice versa, then she just leaves? afte 10 years (comic time) she just smiles and goes? hmmm.

any other info on the two next volumes?

Christian    752

NOTHING!

I agree with Andy that S.T. should've been left to rest peacefully after Millar finished up vol. 2. I liked Mark Millar's issues.

The 3rd series was awful and was all about Swamp Girl, Tefe! John appeared in two issues and Swamp Thing, himself, appeared in a few with Abby. But, the series really has nothing to do with vol. 2 other than same characters making appearances. It's NOT worth buying.

The 4th series is also awful, but does feature Alec Holland. The first story-arc, by Andy Diggle which also feature John Constantine, pretty much presses the reset button on everything that happened in Mark Millar's issues of vol. 2. Now, the book is unreadable and pretty well a revamp of "Swamp Thing"; I dropped it one issue into Joshua Dysart's current run as writer. You're not missing anything! I also agree with Andy that the only way I will ever buy a S.T. comic again is if J.C. makes an appearance.

Christian    752

Abby's character was ruined during Nancy A. Collins' abysmal run on "Swamp Thing" vol. 2. Remember? Swamp Thing cheated on Abby and then Abby became a lesbian......

Abby is currently appearing in vol. 4, last I saw. She's doing the single mother routine now, pretending her life with Swampy never happened, and attempting to raise Tefe as her daughter.

Tefe lost her memories and powers at the end of Andy Diggle's first story-arc on the current volumn.