JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

andy    2

Honestly Swamp Thing could have ended adequately with Alan Moore's last issue. There's been some great Veitch and Millar stories and one or two decent Wheeler and Collins stories but frankly since the decision to spin Constantine off into his own series had already been decided prior to Alan's departure, the resulting balance of crap Swampy stories pretty much out weighs the good ones since then.

–Seth–    0

when did nancy turn abby into a lesbo? she turned liz into a lez that i recall (i think nancy did that, i don't remember who was writing at the time), but not abby. abby just got a short haircut which i don't care much for.

as for vol. 3 and 4 it sounds like they were kinda poopy and not worth getting. :(

JohnMcMahon    566

Swamp Thing Volume #3 : A teenaged girl discovers that she's actually Tefe, the daughter of the Swamp Thing. Caught between the Green and her human heritage, she's forced to chose a role in the brewing war between both sides. Initially portrayed as a cold, amoral creature capable of terrible acts of violence, Tefe hooks up with various odd types as she travels across the US. Outside of an issue where she meets her biological father, John Constantine, it was pretty weak stuff.

Swamp Thing Volume #4 : Separated from the soul of Alec Holland (thanks to events in Hellblazer), the Swamp Thing goes a bit nutty. Tefe is tricked into going against her father and a ridiculous Giant Monster Battle (in the vein of Godzilla) ensues. Swampy triumphs and Tefe is left as a normal girl who...surprise!....has a thing for other women. Abby is fucking a musician at the mo though there relationship doesn't really expand past the physical.

Abby's character was ruined during Nancy A. Collins' abysmal run on "Swamp Thing" vol. 2. Remember? Swamp Thing cheated on Abby and then Abby became a lesbian......

Surely you're mistaking that for your beloved Delano's run on Animal Man?

A. Heathen    1,131
Ah, Vertigo never has lesbianism seemed so commonplace.

Or brown ;)

Are you calling me a lesbian ?

Regarding Swamp Thing 3 and 4:

Brian K Vaughan at least tried something different, and to be honest I prefer his run to much of Millar/Morrison, Doug Wheeler, Nancy A Collins and any part of Vol.4. In fact, I probably only prefer Len Wein & Berni Wrightson, Alan Moore, Rick Veitch and Marty Pasko (borderline).

Vol 4 has been a grave disappointment.

Christian    752

Oh...maybe I am thinking of Liz and Delano's "Animal Man".....

There was that period in Vertigo history where it seemed like every book had to have a token lesbian character, so it got confusing!

Yeah, compared the the sheer boredom of the majority of Doug Wheeler's run and the sheet crap that was Collins' run and the current issues, Vaughn didn't look so bad. But, that don't make it good either!

But Millar/Morrison did good work with S.T., I agree with Tom.

–Seth–    0

i'd have to say that after veitch things went kinda blah. there was a bit in the early 100's of vol. 3 where the abby/st relationship got so buggy. alec would go help the green abby would freak, rinse and repeat. the covers however for ST ruled, i really liked the painting covers of the mid 100's. a cover book would be nice.

i'm still getting sick of Bradstreet's HB covers, but that's another topic. ;)

A. Heathen    1,131

I dug up this old thread, because Swampy deserves a thread outside of the Vertigo one, even if the current arc does not.

What a shame they can't get this guy on interiors:

STV2-Cv21.jpg

Newsarama story

And read that thread for some hilarious "praise" for Thing Swamp.

J. White    6

I dug this thread up for one simple question: Is anyone here actually still reading this title.

I was.

Until I moved up here, I was buying the issues but I was very dissapointed with them. Still, I'm going to round up the ones I missed in the odd months I'm gone, but is there anyone here that can actually catch me up as to what's happening in the "Healing the Breach" storyline?

Dave    271

I'm reading it, but i don't know that i can really catch you up. It's all convoluted and not very good really. Tell me where you left off, and i'll try and get you up to speed though.

J. White    6

I'll clarify but what I meant in "catch me up". I left off with the issue where ST would have been going down into the Gulf in search of whatever the fuck was breaching The Green. I'm just interested in seeing how the story is progressing since it seems to be wrapping up this month.

I also see John Constantine making an appearence in one of the upcoming issues.

A. Heathen    1,131

Issue #20 in "best since #6 shock. Or at least good enough to persuade me to buy it and read it, whereupon I realised that it is an average Swampy Story, clearly intended to live in the gaps between Moore and Veitch's Saga tales.

And has the worst John Constantine that Corben's ever done.

A. Heathen    1,131

Oh, and if Carey can get lambasted (rightly) for "[over-used word]bubble" at least he did not have american "spuge" dribbling from Constantine's lips.

A. Heathen    1,131

No.

I was looking at the Corben art on the first few pages and thought it looked nice.

It reads like someone trying to pretend to be Alan Moore and the merest idea that an entity at the heart of Swampy would take the form of Constantine in a bar (no apologies for the spoiler I am doing you all a favour here) is silly - especially when he uses the word "spuge".

I wonder if it was international Vertigo comics "Words about Spunk" month ?

Note to Vertigo: Swamp Thing is not going to get better by becoming an introspective soap opera.

James    38

How do you pronounce "spuge"? Is it "spooge" or "sp-you-ge"?

I flicked through the issue in the shop because Constantine was mentioned in the solicits. Desperately thin story, by the look of things. Isn't the concept of Constantine being symbolic of an aspect of Swampy's psyche just ripping off My Blue Heaven?

And yeah, Corben's Constantine was awful, although I did like the "here comes something bigger than you" panel.

Those not reading the comic may be interested to know that Swampy's got his power back again. There really is nothing left that can be done with him. Why won't Vertigo accept this?