JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

Jock's doing an issue of Swamp Thing? I would have thought his work was a bit too angular for something so organic. Still, I'm sure it will look great... even if it reads terribly.

Maybe, havent had much luck with the morrison issues yet, but will be in the right place for back issues soon enough anyhow.

J

There was a slight bump in the order figures for Swamp Thing #20 (couple of hundred issues) so maybe it's bouncing back.

Was that one of the standalone issues?

It's a shame, because I'd love to see Vertigo trying to justify putting out the comic when it's only selling five copies a month.

i've been getting Swamp Thing and it has edged away from my drop stack recently. I think that perhaps the books is starting to find its waterlegs finally. We'll see i suppose how this arc turns out.

So far they boil down to him sitting around a swamp and moping while human characters around him try to get him to do something

For all the latest information from Josh Dis Art.

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread....art=15&tstart=0

Again, whether you dig it or not, Swamp Thing is just a man now. He has made that choice. It’s one thing not to like it, it’s another thing not to get it. The statement he made that you’re quoting was when he was at his most confused and shattered, literally only hours before his psyche would grow a protective seedpod and send him hurtling into his own unconscious. He has since emerged with all of his knowledge and majesty intact, yet none of the insecurity. He will never display such confusion and weakness again (during my run). I really don’t think you understand that. Not that if you did this would be the run for you. I know that there are other things you object to.

After discussing Watchmen with a friend, I've finally got myself to sit down and read Moore's run on S.T. after downloading the whole damn series (which I had previously done so to play "Spot the Constantine" - bless Mr. Qusoor's list).

Why the hell did I ignore this wonderful, surreal gem of a comic for so long?

Sadly, I did not get to see this thread before I went ahead and read/skimmed through Vol 4 because I heard Constantine played a significant role in it. Auuuugggh! The review I read was being generous, I think: It was overblown to the point of being silly.

I suppose I'll be reading with caution after Moore, if I dare continue.

Read the Rick Veitch issues.

They're good and feature a lot of John Constantine.

You can also read Mark Millar's run, which ends out the first series, if you want. Opinion is divided, but I liked it, and it's surely not as offensive as the rest.

Agreed on the Rick Veitch issues - he walked off the book mid-story which does mean there's no kind of decent ending to his run but, what there is of it, is very good idea. The first trade is well worth a gander (especially if you already have the .cbr files sitting on your PC!) - there's a great scene in there with Batman that always makes me chuckle.

"It's not you Abby, it's me"

That link from Ade is well worth checking out -

Recently a very respected creator said he wanted Swamp Thing back in the DCU, "Because I think it would be cool to see him fight Hawkman" [paraphrased].

First of all. THAT ALREADY HAPPENED!! It's been done! BY ALAN MOORE NO LESS! It's in a trade, you can go back and read it! I really feel this industries reliance on old tricks is what's killing it.

for some reason it seems like the kind of thing Geoff Johns would have said. but It could have been Diggle (though, with Very Respected tag on creator, Diggle didn't pop immediately to mind)

That "It's not you Abby" line is why the current Swamp Thing has no interest for me.

While I totally agree with Dysart's comments about not having Swamp Thing fighting Hawkman (well, except that Alan Moore doing it once does not mean it's been done to death) he is returning us to the family supporting cast for Alec, because Abby and Alec back together is "what people want".

Like Christian, I enjoyed Millar's closing run on ST, although it went through a bad patch the climax was well done. Unlike everyone else I liked Brian K Vaughn's take on Tefe although the character was probably too much of an anti-hero to sustain her own book.

But the best themes for Swamp Thing have been three long arcs with single issue stories tied together by a theme:

Moore's American Gothic - which I like to call the Anti-Crisis.

and his Lost in Space arc.

And Veitch's time travel story which is the final word in Swampy/DCU crossovers.

When you think about it, Doug Wheeler's battle between The Grey and The Green and Millar's Unification of the Parliaments were decent stories although the component issues did not amount to as much.

Dysart's said he's brought the Alec back into Swamp Thing, and my reading of some of those issues has not enticed me to read more. Perhaps when he gets what he wants - the story of Alec and Abby - his stories will settle down.

for some reason it seems like the kind of thing Geoff Johns would have said.

Agreed, I was just seeing if Andy was still browsing the site, that's why I dropped his name :biggrin:

What really turned me off Dysart's Swamp Thing was the lesbian nonsense with Tefe - almost felt like a parody of a Vertigo comic to be honest, though the colours were more puke green than shit brown. That and the first couple of stories all boiled down to big angry Swamp Thing hitting something.

The art's dead good though.

I've got the first two Veitch trades and they're really not all that hot. Lots of rambling, directionless plotlines that just go nowhere for the first seven or eight issues, some lousy attempts at social satire, mostly awful dialogue, shitty characterisation for everyone but Chester and Swampy, lots of Alan Moore-aping "ooh the pictures say one thing but the words say something else!" except not as subtle or as clever as Moore does it and far too much lazy writing, like Swampy referring to the ad-obsessed monster as Wild Thing even though it was never called that outside of an issue title or the "elementals were created to balance out the damage caused by man" nonsense which doesn't explain why there are prehistoric elementals...

Oh, it's just not very good at all, really. I'll probably keep buying them because I want to see the time travel and Matt the Raven stories but other than that it's very disappointing.

Still, there're a couple of Bob Dylan quotes so it's not all bad.

I wish Veitch was able to finish up his run as I think his planned conclusion would have redemed some of the flaws in his earlier issues.

However I was never a big fan of his art. Everything always seemed just too damned bright and, well, cartoonish. Plus I found it irritating that Constantine always had the same consistently-lengthed cigerette clutched in his mouth in every panel.

I thought they were a lot of fun, mainly in incidental ways - like the aforementioned Batman scenes, or John playing Crisis in the sandpit....or the scenes with Constantine hitting his contacts up for info...not on the same level as Moore but still enjoyable stories, for the most part.

That Matt the Raven storyline still stands out in my mind as being the one story/the one set of images in my entire comics reading life that truly and completely and utterly freaked and creeped and grossed me out.

I'm not really a big horror (comics/movies/etc.) fan, and I know that story is not anything really horrific or over the top, especially by today's standards, but I guess I was just at the right age, at the right time in my life that that was the story that scared the beejeezus out of me in such a way that no other story has come close.