JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

Oh god, James. Save yourself now before you end up like me! I have more comics than I have anything to do with....

Started out "Just Sandman and Hellblazer." Then it was, I need to find these Important J.C. moments listed on the letter's page of an issue of H.B., so it was just these important issues of Swamp Thing. Then it was, well, what am I missing? I need every appearance of J.C. in Swamp Thing. Then it was, I actually like Swamp Thing. I need to buy every issue of Swamp Thing.

Fucking comic book addictions.

Down and down she goes, where she stops, nobody knows....

01/2005: Swamp Thing #11 -- 14,300 (- 9.8%)

02/2005: Swamp Thing #12 -- 13,452 (- 5.9%)

03/2005: Swamp Thing #13 -- 12,707 (- 5.5%)

04/2005: Swamp Thing #14 -- 12,057 (- 5.1%)

05/2005: Swamp Thing #15 -- 11,542 (- 4.3%)

06/2005: Swamp Thing #16 -- 10,962 (- 5.0%)

07/2005: Swamp Thing #17 -- 10,345 (- 5.6%)

08/2005: Swamp Thing #18 -- 10,112 (- 2.3%)

09/2005: Swamp Thing #19 -- 9,726 (- 3.8%)

10/2005: Swamp Thing #20 -- 10,209 (+ 5.0%)

11/2005: Swamp Thing #21 -- 9,203 (- 9.9%)

12/2005: Swamp Thing #22 -- 8,892 (- 3.7%)

01/2006: Swamp Thing #23 -- 8,527 (- 4.1%)

Ok i think im going to pick up some Swamp thing in the morning do you think its a good idea to start it is it any good?

If you mean the Alan Moore trades, yes, it's absolutely a good idea, and they're brilliant. If you mean the new, currently-ongoing monthly series, NONONOFORTHELOVEOFGODNO. It's arse.

If you mean the Alan Moore trades, yes, it's absolutely a good idea, and they're brilliant. If you mean the new, currently-ongoing monthly series, NONONOFORTHELOVEOFGODNO. It's arse.

Yeah i ws thinking the monthly title why whats so bad about it. Also remember i have never read a swamp thing so if its a comparison issue i it wont affect me.

Yeah i ws thinking the monthly title why whats so bad about it. Also remember i have never read a swamp thing so if its a comparison issue i it wont affect me.

The writing.

Look at the sales figures JMac has been posting in this thread. Note the catastrophic downward spiral they show, as the title sheds readers with each new issue. Do they suggest a title you want to jump aboard? Why do you want to read Swamp Thing in the first place? If it's because you're curious about what makes people go on about how good it is, you won't find any answers in this version of the title. Seriously, save your money. Go for the good stuff instead.

The writing.

Look at the sales figures JMac has been posting in this thread. Note the catastrophic downward spiral they show, as the title sheds readers with each new issue. Do they suggest a title you want to jump aboard? Why do you want to read Swamp Thing in the first place? If it's because you're curious about what makes people go on about how good it is, you won't find any answers in this version of the title. Seriously, save your money. Go for the good stuff instead.

Recommendations then mate.... im trying to branch out thaught swamp thing sounded good,branch - swamp thing .... i'll hold for applause.

Recommendations then mate.... im trying to branch out thaught swamp thing sounded good,branch - swamp thing .... i'll hold for applause.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run is one of the best comics ever published. That's as good a place as any to start branching out, I'd say.

The first trade is called Saga Of The Swamp Thing, and it comes strongly recommended.

Hmmm i'll have a look but dont know if i can afford a trade at min thats why i was gonna just pick up 1 or 2 singles. Which one is the first appearance of Johnny c, THAT i would like to read.

The problem with Swamp Thing is that the Alan Moore run is the only time the comic was actually worth reading, because it was more of a conduit for Moore's imagination than anything else. Certainly, none of the characters except Constantine were interesting or clever enough to stand a comic on, and even his John was a bit of a one hit wonder - Delano's the guy who actually turned him into a proper character rather than a charismatic plot device.

I honestly don't think anything new can be done with the character these days and nobody has convinced me otherwise. It just seems to be a case of giving him more powers, taking them away and putting them back again ad infinitum. Yawn.

JC's first panel appearance (it was actually the first time they 'drew Sting' into the comic, the character came later) was in Swamp Thing #25. I have two if anybody wants one and can pay international shipping, presumably.

Swamp Thing is a fun comic, but Moore's run is head and shoulder's above the rest.

It's just one panel of a guy who looks like Sting. Don't worry about S.T. #25 all J.C. completists.

If you want to read the first appearance of J.C. you might as well buy the Trade. You'd save money.

S.T. #37 usually goes for around $25 (American). You can get the Trade with the first appearance of J.C. and some other stories for (what?) $15(?).

I just read the solicitation for the newest issue of S.T. and it said something about Abby in a rape counselling center....Dear God, why does Dysart and rape couselling center in the same sentence make me go, "NONONONONONO!!!!"?

It's just one panel of a guy who looks like Sting. Don't worry about S.T. #25 all J.C. completists.

If you want to read the first appearance of J.C. you might as well buy the Trade. You'd save money.

S.T. #37 usually goes for around $25 (American). You can get the Trade with the first appearance of J.C. and some other stories for (what?) $15(?).

I just read the solicitation for the newest issue of S.T. and it said something about Abby in a rape counselling center....Dear God, why does Dysart and rape couselling center in the same sentence make me go, "NONONONONONO!!!!"?

Which trade is it?

Against your wishes i went a picked up a couple of swamp thing anyway... nowt else took my eye .... i have only read issue 21 so far but i really enjoyed it thaught it was funny and a bit creepy. I'm not as well travelled as you guy's so my taste may differ a bit but i enjoyed it.

Edit! Any one else notice John Constantine in Issue 23?

Because Dean Ormston was drawing, I got the latest.

It is an appaling case of the "Woman in Refrigerator" sub-genre: "Abused Women get Abused even more before Fridge Door is closed"

What makes it worse is that a very similar character (in a totally different story) was on L&O:CI last night. That character had depth other than, "Here I am. Now I die."

And to make matters worse Dean Ormston seemed to be half-interested in recreating Brecchia.

I will get Jock's issue then I hope never to see this again.

Anyone want a free Swamp Thing comic?

It is an appaling case of the "Woman in Refrigerator" sub-genre: "Abused Women get Abused even more before Fridge Door is closed"

What makes it worse is that a very similar character (in a totally different story) was on L&O:CI last night. That character had depth other than, "Here I am. Now I die."

And to make matters worse Dean Ormston seemed to be half-interested in recreating Brecchia.

Haven't read issue 25 yet but im really enjoying the run.

To be honest i think its because i tend not to look at comics and scrutenise them down to the last detail and then compare them to everything else like most other people on the board do.

To be honest i think its because i tend not to look at comics and scrutenise them down to the last detail and then compare them to everything else like most other people on the board do.

Well, Personally it's not always deliberate.

If I enjoy somethng, I want to emmerse myself in it, in those details

This is not the same as killing a butterfly, to see how it works.

Sometimes it's simply a case of if it's shit, it's shit.

I dont envy anyone having to write Swamp Thing though.

Alan Moores shadow still looms.-Millar did do some interesting things, and I enjoyed Veitch's run alot (or maybe just his Constantine appearances).

Most of seeing new things is comparing them to things you have seen before.

Thus the bigger the memeoral vocabluary, usually the harsher the judgement.

But if you're enjoying the run, then you are enjoying the run.

That can't be taken away from you.

Criticism should be less of it's shit, dont even piss on it and more of well if you liked it you should read Alan Moore's blah blah.

Well, Personally it's not always deliberate.

If I enjoy somethng, I want to emmerse myself in it, in those details

This is not the same as killing a butterfly, to see how it works.

Sometimes it's simply a case of if it's shit, it's shit.

I dont envy anyone having to write Swamp Thing though.

Alan Moores shadow still looms.-Millar did do some interesting things, and I enjoyed Veitch's run alot (or maybe just his Constantine appearances).

Most of seeing new things is comparing them to things you have seen before.

Thus the bigger the memeoral vocabluary, usually the harsher the judgement.

But if you're enjoying the run, then you are enjoying the run.

That can't be taken away from you.

Criticism should be less of it's shit, dont even piss on it and more of well if you liked it you should read Alan Moore's blah blah.

I'm not saying dont judge it if you dont like it you dont like it hell what do i know so far iv'e only read three swamp thing comics but so far enjoying it i was just saying that. I was also giving something positive to the writer because he's getting alot of knocks here but i dont wanna step on anyones toes i personally haven't read alan moores run though from what everyone heres put its fantastic, thus i cant judge it against anything. Also looking up swamp thing on wikipedia suprised me that neither man-thing nor swamp thing are a rip off each other just a great coincidence that it was a kinda shared idea.

Personally, I hate the new Swamp Thing because of Joshua Dysart's writing. I just hate it on its own merits, not compared to Alan Moore.

For example, I really like Mark Millar's run on "Swamp Thing". Comparing it to Alan Moore's work on the title, it's nowhere near that level, but I still like Millar's S.T. on its own terms.