JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

OOOOH man! I was looking for toys with my daughter to play with last night (I ended up playing with my Dino-Riders for two hours) and I remembered that I have this one!

snarest.jpg

It's a three-footed, bite-y thing. From the side it looks like a T-Rex skull made of plants, and you can move the top part up and down to bite things.

The Swamp Thing is sooo cool because you can pull his left hand out (it is attached with a string) and grab something with it, and it will retract when you squeeze Swampy's legs together! I literally had days of fun with that thing.

Guest spiderlegs

So, this being the HELLBLAZER board, let's talk about Bad Seed, featuring John Constantine as a major supporting character (I just read the trade this morning).

What did everyone think of Diggle's JC? I kind of felt like he was hit & miss, though he did say "innit?" quite often, and I'm a sucker for "innit?"...at one poingt early on, it felt like a HELLBLAZER story featuring JC, but it seemed when the story took on its dominant theme of Swampy losing his humanity and facing Tefé, JC became less "Constantinian" to my sense of who JC is supposed to be. It sort of makes me a little more impressed with how quickly Denise Mina was able to capture JC's essense in her first arc (even if you don't appreciate the plot holes in her arc).

Yeah. "Innit" is good.

Truthfully, I barely remember "Bad Seed" anymore. That's what an impact it left on me.

I didn't enjoy the story, and wondered exactly what the purpose of it was, I remember it left me less than impressed with Diggle's version of John.

When that story was coming out, there was a lot of speculation about who would replace Mike Carey, and a lot of the nods were going to Andy Diggle.

I wasn't very enthused about such a notion after reading "Bad Seed".

Guest spiderlegs

Well, his imagined monster sequences were kind of trippy (dripping with Lovecraft). So, there could have been some promise there, but I think you might be correct. Diggle seems like he would have wound up another Azarello with a couple of good arcs and alot of "wtf?"

I'm just bumping this because I'm reading Moore's run and will want to discuss at length at a later time.

When that story was coming out, there was a lot of speculation about who would replace Mike Carey, and a lot of the nods were going to Andy Diggle.

I wasn't very enthused about such a notion after reading "Bad Seed".

No, he seemed like the perfect choice for the first couple of issues but when it turned into a Godzilla story, I think most people retired the idea.

Has anyone read Swamp Thing #1 by Scott Snyder yet? Against all the odds, it's actually rather good. Snyder appears to be doing an old-school horror comic rather than aping Moore's kookier elements, and Alec Holland actually makes for an interesting protagonist, unlike Swamp Thing myself. Hope this isn't just heading for him becoming Swampy in issue six.

It's a shame it's tied to that shitty Search for Swamp Thing mini, because it's not terribly useful as a proper 'issue one', but if you know the background - and I think most of us here do - it's a decent read.

Oh, and Paquette's art is lovely.

I wasn't very impressed.

It wasn't a bad comic, but it just screamed "generic" to me.

There's probably no new ground that can be covered with Swamp Thing by this point, I suppose (considering how badly each new relaunch has failed to do anything new with the character), so it's a matter of how much you enjoy the character.

Like James said, Alec Holland is a more interesting protagonist than Swamp Thing at this point, but I have little interest in reading the "wild adventures of Alec Holland" either.

The first issue just left me not having any interst in coming back, because the plot was Alec Holland works at a job, and then there was something about an excavation facing an awakened prehistoric corpse. It doesn't really serve as a story.

If you want a back-to-basics Swamp Thing story that incorporates continuity from The Search for Swamp Thing, then there's nothing wrong with it. I just don't see how this is any different from any other post-Veitch Swamp Thing though.

Oh, it was ok. Superman sticks out like a bloody sore thumb. As far as Alec revealing what he did to Supes, he could have said all that to anybody. Note to DC: we don't need capes in our horror.

Oh, it was ok. Superman sticks out like a bloody sore thumb. As far as Alec revealing what he did to Supes, he could have said all that to anybody. Note to DC: we don't need capes in our horror.

Tell that to the mindless fuckers who still assume having Swamp Thing back among the capes would boost sales.*

Vol. 1(1972-76) didnt last and neither will this.

I don't think it will last either, I just don't see any market for Swamp Thing anymore no matter what they try, but Vol. 1 was really good when it was written by Len Wein and had very little interaction with the rest of the DCU.

Vol. 2 managed to last because there was so much momentum from Alan Moore and at that time there was a cult around Vertigo which insured guaranteed a core set of readers of any Vertigo titles.

I'm still shocked that there seems to be an audience for Animal Man. At least that book stands out, story-wise.

I think "is actually not bad" would have been more accurate sub-title to the thread.

Nice references to stories gone by (and there have been other Alec Holland meets Swamp Thing reveals done with more impact).

As mentioned it is lovely art, and one wonders why comics don't use such clear storytelling these days.

If you were to remove all vestiges of Search for Swamp Thing - including the worthless superhero* tie in - this'd be okay but rather lightweight for an opening issue.

* on this form, I expect that Snyder's scripts will have random supporting cast members transformed into DCU characters.

eg

Panel 1

Alec goes to the Sutherland/Luther Corp HQ in Metropolis, deep in thought as he crosses the street he bumps into someone.

ALEC (thinking): "They tried to kill me, but now they have the only cure for ..."

Panel 2

MAN ON STREET: "Hey, watch where you're going, bub!"

to

ADAM STRANGE: "Oh, hi Alec, sorry I cannot stop to chat, I have to catch the next Zeta Beam to Rann!"

While I appreciate Adrian's idea of a small-town filled with obscure DCU characters trying to go about their everyday lives (Brother Power the Geek is still teaching Taylorism to the factory workers from that 1960s series), and hope to see this idea explored in the comic....

The guy at the X-Axis web-site made a good point that I didn't think about.

All I could think about is that this must be geared to long term readers, because who else is going to care about this guy called Alec Holland.

At the same time, he makes the point that this book would appeal to brand new readers who knew little about Swamp Thing because the ending of the book would seem genuinely creepy and mystifying. What is the connection between the Swamp Thing and this Alec Holland guy?

So, perhaps even though it uses continuity from The Search for Swamp Thing, my knowledge of the character is why the story seems so generic to me, but to a new reader, it might actually seem like a compelling cliffhanger.

Liking the first issue is not a rubber stamped approval that it can go another few issues without pissing people off. I expect to be let down by this most of the other DC reboots, truth be told.

So the new Swamp Thing writer is....Charles Soule. Yeah....who? With art by Kano. I don't know enough about either person. Maybe Soule is good, but I can't see myself staying without Snyder

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=43142

How much y'all wanna bet this might end in cancellation like Vol 1?