• HAWK AND DOVE #1
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1
    • MEN OF WAR #1
    • OMAC #1
    • STATIC SHOCK #1
    • STORMWATCH #1
    • SWAMP THING #1
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

Swamp Thing - Snyder did it again! He made me enjoy a Swamp Thing story. And I've never really cared for Swampy. I know that's a form of hersey around these parts. Snyder does a good job of re-introducing the world of Swamp Thing by way of introducing Alec Holland and focusing on his journey. There are touches of the superhero world and touches of the character's horror roots :tongue:

Animal Man - YES! YES! YES! Everything you love about this charcter is right here. I had a good feeling when I saw the 1st page as an excerpt from a hipster magazine interview of Buddy Baker by Jeff Lemuire. It's all up hill from there. I like the little touches he puts in, like Buddy using the napping ability of a cat to help get to sleep. Foreman does a very good job on art, varying his style to fit different scenes. That last page...creepy!!!

Action Comics - Tied with Animal Man for goodness! This is isn't Morrison doing Silver-Age goofy fun Superman. This is him doing his take on Superman's beginnings, his roots as a social crusader. I am so glad he's not focusing on Clark's Kryptonian/Smallville origins. It's been done to death. Instead we have Clark getting his foothold in Metropolis, both as a reporter and a superhero.

Stormwatch - There is some potential here. It is Authority-lite. There is nothing overly spectacular about this group of professional "soldiers" with super-powers. They don't save people or stop criminals, no they are the ones that you send to fight a war against the big, nasty world destroying menaces. I give it 6 months.

Action Comics (2011) 1.

Liked:

Rags Morales' art was godlike.

Grant Morrison's script was beautifully crafted.

Less-powerful Superman gets the big thumbs-up from me.

Disliked:

Rags' cover was OK, but it ain't exactly gonna resonate down through the decades like that other cover to "Action Comics issue 1".

Jim Lee's cover was amateurish.

Another reboot of Superman was unnecessary.

Didn't leave me feeling like this could be the definitive take on Superman. (In fact, it feels unlikely to remain the status quo for long. In fairness, though, it's early days, and I haven't even read Superman #1 yet.)

Jim Lee's cover was amateurish.

Another reboot of Superman was unnecessary.

Didn't leave me feeling like this could be the definitive take on Superman. (In fact, it feels unlikely to remain the status quo for long. In fairness, though, it's early days, and I haven't even read Superman #1 yet.)

Yes. I had that exact feeling after reading Action Comics #1. There's no way this relaunch is going to last. There's no way DC is taking this as the definitive direction of their characters for the next couple decades.

It all screams "big event" to me, as in the big changes won't last beyond the event.

I think that the fact that DC is so tentative to really explain what's going on with continuity plays into this, as DC is waiting to hit the re-set button at the first sign of trouble.

This plays out with the fact that most of the "DC dark" books seem to be using continuity, while the superhero books seem to be starting out fresh. If Animal Man (for example) is selling well, then it'll be easy to just keep going with the Animal Man series, while DC goes about setting the status quo back together with Superman and Batman and etc.

Signed up to comixology so I could show a little love for Swamp Thing and Animal Man - do love all that The Green, The Red etc. stuff - $2.99 titls cost €2.13 which is a couple of quid cheaper than the print versions, still a little expensive really.

Simple binary options. If you like it, click, if you hate it or are indifferent to it or did not read it do not click.

Actually if you hate it, go and have a cold shower.

I clicked Animal Man, which was excellent; Justice League, which was what you would expect; and OMAC, which to me was the biggest surprise of the month so far.

Nice idea, Adrian.

I liked (clicked) Action Comics and Animal Man.

Swamp Thing is ok, but I won't be around for #2, so I didn't give it a nod.

StormWatch is the only other one on this list I read, and that was bad.

Just read Swamp Thing 1

Well written and drawn but until the overall storyline or Swamp Thing direction is revealed, my mind remains unmade as to whether there's...um... any life left in those old bones.

I wonder if we're going to use these threads each month for DC discussion?

Back to week 1, month 2.

Swamp Thing #2-I forgot I still had this on my pull list. I'm sort of glad I did, but also not so glad. The ending of the book, when it turned into "generic horror comic" and an action story, left me cold, especially the ret-conning of a certain popular S.T. character.

On the other hand, the first part of the book was excellent. Everything you knew about the Swamp Thing is wrong, and a history of the Green, from a Swamp Thing who could actually talk.

Now, I'm torn. I might wait for issue #3 and see before dropping the book now, but the book easily had me hooked until the ending.

Animal Man #2-This is still good. I'm still loving it. Not a lot to get excited about in this issue though, as the plot isn't moving at breakneck speed. Maybe Lemire felt an issue was needed to help acquaint new readers with the concept of the Red, and that's understandable. Hopefully, there'll be some more meat with the next issue though (pun!).

Action Comics #2-Interesting. Dark. I like where it's going. This is Morrison writing a much more "mainstream" superhero comic than we've seen in a long while. No huge cosmic ideas or harkening back to the Silver Age, just straightforward and well-written Superman action.

Ok, well that mostly covers what I wanted to say. LOL

The only thing I didn't like about Action Comics is the $3.99 price tag for 20 pages of story. I did NOT want the "director's commentary" B.S. in the back

stormwatch 2 is so bad, i'm not even curious to see where it winds up. done.

detective 2 is equally abysmal. not the slightest bit of interest in its eventual destination, either.

books of suck-double-suck are these.

My thoughts, in summary, Swamp Thing and Animal are both ace.

Good to know. I passed on those but the 1st issue reprints and the 2nd ssues come out this week. So...joy.

Swamp Thing #2 has completely addressed my concerns after #1.

Nice.

There's totally going to be a crossover with Animal Man.

Action Comics #2: script 10/10, art 9/10 (it fell down when the inker changed halfway through). Great stuff.

Sorry, Shawn, but I liked the backmatter. :tongue: Lovely to see Rags Morales' pencil art, and there were a few interesting snippets of text. Gene Ha's servant robot design was almost worth the price of the comic. The backmatter left me way more interested in where the book is going.

I'm forced to agree.

I don't want to see this every month, and I'd like to see the book going down to $2.99, but this back matter actually contained more than just a writer talking about the script you just read.

I'm more interested to see where the book is going based on the back matter also. It's definitely not going to be sticking to the "mainstream" superhero script for too much longer.

It looks like Morrison is going to be ret-conning the post-Crisis ret-con of Krypton (from John Byrne). I did sort of like the dystopian version of Krypton, that it wasn't the utopia that Superman wanted to believe it to be, but Byrne's version was certainly a signal of how far the DCU had moved from the innocence of the Silver Age.

Although, there might be more to Morrison's Krypton, for all I know at this point.

The lamp design was pretty neat too.

Well, i read JLI issue two. Pure crap. I'm dropping it. Dan Jurgens can eat a bag of dicks. This is not what i want from a book called JLI. They might as well have called it Global Guardians.

Loving the new Action Comics issues.

It may not be the type of origin story most of us associate with Superman, but it's more of how I would imagine the character's origin to truly be. Love the way Morrison writes Luthor too.

[edit] All caught up on Animal Man. Very cool stuff. I haven't read any AM since Grant Morrison's last TPB so the introduction to The Red was OK. I also get the feeling Buddy and Swamp Thing could have a meet up relatively soon. Budddy Baker's such a cool dude, love the Everyman angle.

I know it's a wee bit late but I only just read Stormwatch #1 last week and it's got to be one of the worst of the entire relaunch (and considering that includes the god-awful Green Arrow #1 that's some achievement).

I have no problem with changing the Stormwatch roster and mixing in the Authority, Martian Manhunter could be a good addition too, but everything was just so hamfistedly set up.Characters talk in potted biographies, and the dialogue is just awful. The new Projectionist's powers just seem so half-baked and lame it's as if they're trying to show how modern and zeitgeist the concept is but it just seems so dated.

The actual storyline seems like It was inspired by the 'return of God' storyline from a previous Authority, and that's a good example of the problem with this first issue. The shadow of Warren Ellis just hangs over it so much that it naturally seems poor in comparison. I came to read the Authority totally blind, didn't know anything of Stormwatch, and picked the first trade off the shelf because I liked the sound of it. I was thrown in at the deep end, no real explanation of characters, roles, or powers, but it didn't seem confusing; I just thought, well, I'll pick it up as we go along. Ellis' first Stormwatch issues also managed to set up the world without it obviously being a set-up with clunky exposition.

And while we're at it, the artwork was pretty poor, and why did they fuck around with Midnighter's costume so much? His last costume was functional and entirely believable, but this new one looks like a cast of from the last decade. What is that spike on the chin all about, what possible fucking use is that? The messing about with the origins of Apollo & Midnighter is another bad idea too. I know this is a relaunch, and they're going to change things just for the sake of changing them, but those two guys had one of the coolest and most believable origin stories ever. So what if it involves Henry Bendix who doesn't exist in this universe (at least, not yet), just insert random paranoid mad government scientist in and the job's done.

My local comic shop guy says the #2 is a lot better, and I'll stick with it for a while but it's on the danger list along with Red Hood and Green Arrow. I'll give them all 6 - 12 months before I ditch them.

Re OMAC: I think Didio's name is just on the outside. It reads like Keith Giffen did all the heavy lifting to me. I've only read the first issue though, my store was sold out of the second issue.

I've always liked Ollie, but normally not the Green Arrow title itself.

I'm jumping all over Nocenti's reign, but my question is just how bad is the New Ollie and do the changes, if any, warrant me picking the relaunch up?