• GREEN LANTERN #1
    • GRIFTER #1
    • LEGION LOST #1
    • MISTER TERRIFIC #1
    • RED LANTERNS #1
    • RESURRECTION MAN #1
    • SUICIDE SQUAD #1
    • SUPERBOY #1

Zero people bought the Mr. Terrific comic at mine local shoppe.

Frankenstein #1-OK, it looks like Animal Man may have a contender for best new DC title.

This is just a crazy, whacked-out, horror/sci-fi type story, involving a team of mad scientist created monsters fighting weird menaces. What more could you want from a DC comic called Frankenstein?

I think I've finally figured out how the relaunch works too. Only the superhero titles seem to have been erased from DC continuity. Other DC continuity seems to still exist.

Resurrection Man #1-Another success. This is a lot like the original series. Sadly, I don't see it lasting too long, just like the original series, but it should be good while it lasts.

I think there's elements here that would appeal to fans of Hellblazer.

Demon Knights #1-Ah, a better week this week, as DC is three for three with me. I really enjoyed this series on a number of levels. It has the feel of the Demon limited series (the one by Matt Wagner), plus the early issues of Madame Xanadu, and there's plenty for obscure DC continuity buffs. DC hasn't had a good historical fantasy series in quite some time, so this is something different for DC to publish. Fast-paced, fun stuff.

So far, DC has got me hooked for five of their new series in total.

I kinda wish this DC relaunch had happened five or six years ago when I was still buying single issues - Swamp Thing and Animal Man are both aces and I'm really looking forward to Resurrection Man and Demon Knights this week. Annoyed that the digital prices are so high, will be giving each of the aforementioned a first trade go though.

I've not read everything yet, but aren't the Bat-books & GL books still firmly planted in continuity?

Having heard more positive reviews for Frankenstein I want to check it out.

Are they?

I have no idea how they decided on this relaunch then, it all seems so random.

The best I can figure is that the time-lines are all off, and the books are taking place during different points.

Superman and Justice League get updated, but Green Lantern and Batman doesn't?

I haven't read any of the Batman titles yet, so I can't say...

But, I thought that Batman's origin was totally ret-conned by Flashpoint and that it is a totally different Batman character now (not a different persona behind the mask, but characterization wise with Bruce Wayne).

If the events I heard about are accurate, I was thinking it was a big mistake. That was what made Batman interesting.

But, I'm going by second-hand hearsay that didn't include actual "spoilers", so I might be totally off.

From my understanding, The 'birth' of the new DCU happened 5 years ago (this is when Action & Justice League are set?). Green Lantern is using it's current continuity, but is claiming the Geoff Johns re-boot as the starting place, so that is fits within that 5 year window. Somehow Batmans Continuity has been crunched into that 5 year window too. The numbers really don't work if you think about them (certainly, the issue of Batman and his various Robins don't). DC really shouldn't have hedged it's bets and gone all in with a re-boot. The mixing of continuity are going to end up sabotaging this, i think.

I read Frankenstein and Resurrection Man and enjoyed them both. I'm not sure DC needed to re-start the universe to publish either of these books though. In fact all the books i've thought were great (those 2 above & Animal Man) could have existed just as well in the old DCU. I haven't read a single issue of anything that makes this new universe seem worth the cancellation of Secret Six and Birds of Prey.

From my understanding, The 'birth' of the new DCU happened 5 years ago (this is when Action & Justice League are set?). Green Lantern is using it's current continuity, but is claiming the Geoff Johns re-boot as the starting place, so that is fits within that 5 year window. Somehow Batmans Continuity has been crunched into that 5 year window too. The numbers really don't work if you think about them (certainly, the issue of Batman and his various Robins don't). DC really shouldn't have hedged it's bets and gone all in with a re-boot. The mixing of continuity are going to end up sabotaging this, i think.

I read Frankenstein and Resurrection Man and enjoyed them both. I'm not sure DC needed to re-start the universe to publish either of these books though. In fact all the books i've thought were great (those 2 above & Animal Man) could have existed just as well in the old DCU. I haven't read a single issue of anything that makes this new universe seem worth the cancellation of Secret Six and Birds of Prey.

Exactly. This is so ill-conceived. I'm not sure what DC's sales figures were like, but surely they couldn't have been that bad that they had to hit the panic button.

It would've made much more sense to keep the relaunch pertinent to only a few titles (like Superman), while leaving most of the DCU alone.

They could've launched a bunch of new number 1s that deserved to have a title based on quality, and those books would have stood out.

A lot of books are getting lost in the shuffle. Probably some of these new #1s should never have been considered, but quality books like Frankenstein or Ressurection Man might end up really suffering, because there's so much going on with the "new DC".

People are going to gravitate towards Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, just like they always have.

So, books like Resurrection Man might be totally skipped over by fans, because they want to read the "brand new Justice League", not somebody they probably never heard of who also happens to have a #1 issue that week.

If Ressurection Man had been launched as #1 without all the hype about "all first issues", it might get more attention.

Then again, I might be wrong.

But, at the end of six months when over half the relaunches are sinking, I think I'll end up proven right.

Plus, DC could have an entire line of creatively strong titles...books like Simone's Secret Six would still exist, alongside other quality books like Lemire's Animal Man.

I know DC wanted to create a huge amount of buzz with this idea, but Marvel seems to follow the pattern I outlined. A big event shakes up certain books in the Marvel Universe, but leaves most of their books alone, and they launch brand new books coming out of the cross-over, instead of shoving out all #1 issues at one time.

I'm sure DC could've gotten attention just by saying that Superman was going to be totally changed and starting from scratch.

Was Frankenstein 1 significantly better than Lemiere's rubbish Flashpoint Frankenstein three parter?

Bearing in mind that I, with the sole exception of Azzarello's Batman, have yet to read a decent Flashpoint tie in.

Was Frankenstein 1 significantly better than Lemiere's rubbish Flashpoint Frankenstein three parter?

I didn't read the Flashpoint, but did pick up the first Frankenstein having read some enthusiastic reviews. I was disappointed. It just seems like an uninspiring Hellboy/BPRD knock-off, without any of the wallop of the Seven Soldiers mini-series. Just dull, really.

I didn't read the Flashpoint, but did pick up the first Frankenstein having read some enthusiastic reviews. I was disappointed. It just seems like an uninspiring Hellboy/BPRD knock-off, without any of the wallop of the Seven Soldiers mini-series. Just dull, really.

I loved the pop brio of the Seven Soldiers Frankenstein, so that's probably what I was looking and hoping for,

Ta,

It's better than the Flashpoint series, without a doubt. The Flashpoint series was just a rip-off of the orgiinal Creature Commandos series from the 1980s, except less sensical. This book has a feel of its own.

I'd say it has some of the weirdness of the Seven Soldiers book, but it's more grounded. It's Lemire writing it, not Morrison, it's unfair to expect the same as Morrison's take.

But, comparing it to BPRD it pretty accurate. It has more whimsy than Mignola though, it's not meant to be as serious.

I loved Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. It was like a more fun & quirky BPRD and I rather like that. It was nice to see Ray Palmer. And that makes me wonder who is the Atom? Is there an Atom? Ryan Choi? hmmmm.

Batwoman was near pefection. Williams does such a fantastic job on layouts and tweeking his style for different scenes. Him and Blackman seem to have a good handle on the character. With Kathy Kane around, having a Batgirl seems pointless. I also like they are having her be more thatn just Batman....but a chick, and handling things more on the fringe of the Bat-corner of the DCnU. Another interesting cameo: Renee Montoya. Everything points to her NOT being the Question, which only makes me so very happy. So where is Vic Sage?

I'm with Tim on this one. Frankenstein: Agent of Exposition felt like an inexperienced writer ripping off BPRD. Everything was explained to the reader in the laziest way.

Maybe a crazier art style would have made it more palatable. The editors should ask if the Hellblazer team wants to swap Guiseppe.

I found Frankenstein enjoyable just for the fact that a book featuring a group of monsters got an ongoing series.. it's pretty incredible, but maybe monsters are more popular than it seems. As for the book itself, first half of it was rather good and creepy at times, a dc book that doesn't hold back on horror elements, awesome. Second part on the other hand felt like they tried too hard to introduce the team.. they just appear and you're supposed to like them, because they're cool.. werewolf, a vampire, a mummy.. you HAVE to like them, all right? Well, that's how i felt about it.. Too many unnecessary splash pages that don't really add anything. Ponticelli draws some great monsters.. Will keep buying despite the flaws, more monster books please

Uncanny X-Force was just mind blowing, even if you don't care about x- men, this is just great great comic books, super dense storytelling, Remender pulls off a Grant Morrison here, 20 pages feel like 30. It also features the best art in comic books, every image is like a little work of art, while not losing the storytelling

ISecond part on the other hand felt like they tried too hard to introduce the team.. they just appear and you're supposed to like them, because they're cool.. werewolf, a vampire, a mummy.. you HAVE to like them, all right? Well, that's how i felt about it..

I think the purpose of the FlashPoint mini was introduce those characters. Sure they are not technically the same, but i'll be they have similar personalities going forward.

ISecond part on the other hand felt like they tried too hard to introduce the team.. they just appear and you're supposed to like them, because they're cool.. werewolf, a vampire, a mummy.. you HAVE to like them, all right? Well, that's how i felt about it..

I think the purpose of the FlashPoint mini was introduce those characters. Sure they are not technically the same, but i'll be they have similar personalities going forward.

I missed that mini, but you're right, they will be developed more in the followong issues for sure. It just happened really fast, boom, we have a team, let's go. I'd like to know more about how that came to be, guess I will check out the Flashpoint title.

I wouldn't, really. It doesn't have anything to do with the new series. It was a fine enough story, but other than being a test run on the supporting characters personalities, there isn't much reason to pick it up unless you are just a completest. I think DC just assumed the people picking up the book would have also have picked up the mini and therefore been familiar with the personalities. They may not even be the same, time will tell i guess.

That makes sense and is actually quite a crafty tactic, continuity of character rather than anything else.

I liked Frankenstein a lot.

I appreciate that some folks have made a Hellboy connection elsewhere but think that's not wholly fair given that the Creature Commandos updated and if anything the vibe is the insane crazy madness of Doom Patrol. THEY EVEN HAVE SOMEONE IN BANDAGES !!!

The art looks scruffy at first but then evolves a rather striking difference from the two mainstream types of art.

Has this chap worked on the italian comics? It looks like a couple of the pulpier Dylan Dogs I have read.

Magical, Medieval Justice League? Well, yeah, it does seem to be going in that direction.

It's wild, it's violent, it's DC doing a fantasy book. I recommend that you read it. It's one of my very favourite "New DC books", and it's Cornell at his best.

Voted for Resurrection Man in the poll.

Demon Knights #1 : A by-the-numbers opener to a traditional fantasy tale, the party meets in a bar and unite to fight a great evil. Yawn. Cornell gets a lot of love but I'm just not feeling it.

Frankenstein : Want to read this, haven't yet.

Green Lantern #1 : A cheat this as it just continues Johns ongoing GL story so no vote for you! I did like the dinner scene.

Resurrection Man #1 : First person narrative, lone protagonist on the run from the afterlife and slutty bounty hunters - alright then, I'm in. Wouldn't surprise me to see The Other from Animal Man and Swamp Thing tie in here somehow.