• Voodo
  2. 2. Bonus question: Rate Justice League of Potter

• 0 - Dire
    • 1 - Not good
    • 2 - Not Bad
    • 3 - I like it
    • 4 - Excellent
    • I have not read it and nor will I

The local store sold out of Aquaman #1...that was only one of the New 52 I wanted to read which I didn't get.

Fury of Firestorm #1-

This book takes us back to the old stand-by of redoing a character's origin for a new generation. Very topical, in fact.

Some of the teenager dialogue was just painful though.

Ronnie Raymond's unforgettable question to his mother of, "Why don't we have any black friends?" will live in the annals of bad ideas seen in the New 52.

Hilariously, Ronnie Raymond shows up to school the next day with a black guy....so apparently Ronnie Raymond rushed out to find a token black friend.

And, the villains genius plan seems to be to try to frame all of their victims as terrorists, which seems like some of the lamest planning by evil villains I've seen.

"Shoot the guy and steal his wallet, then blow up the neighbourhood so everyone will think the guy was a terrorist, and we'll be scot free!".

Yeah, I won't be back for the second issue. There's just too much working against the book. It's not completely awful, but it reads far too much of pre-relaunch generic DC. OK, maybe I need to rethink how awful it is, I can't believe some of these ill-conceived ideas made it to the final product.

Honestly, this is probably the worst of the New 52 books I've tried (StormWatch was a mess, but like watching a car accident).

I, Vampire #1-Well, it shows that I read Firestorm before this gem. Nooo....

The first issue was very Goth and it was a bit hard to follow. It could've used some clearer story-telling, and the writer kept repeating the same points in different ways, which got annoying. OK, I already got that point, how many ways are you going to tell it to the reader?

It's actually probably not as bad as most people expect, the ending is moving in a direction I didn't expect.

I really have no interest in the book and can't see much of a readership here, but it's not "Twilight". The first issue might remind you of "Twilight", but it seems like once the writer has you thinking that's what he's doing, he pulls a bait and switch, and it's much more of a horror comic.

At least there's no scene where Ronnie Raymond's mother explains that their not living a PC life is an "act of God"....

Justice League Dark #1-The first page pissed me off because there was a Tarot for each JLD character, but you couldn't see which card was John.

I like Milligan's take on Shade. It worked better here than it did in Hellblazer, I thought. He's more sad and lonely than just annoying.

I actually enjoyed this book. It's got weirdness, but very grounded in a dark story, and I like how Milligan blends the two. What I didn't like was that DC once again thinks that we need superheroes in a horror comic.

John Constantine was in the issue for one whole page, doing nothing. Milligan seems least interested in John, which bodes well for Hellblazer.

I'd give the issue a B-. Not a bad start, we'll see where it goes. Might be decent.

Week 4 is not a good week.

When you can say that Justice League:Dark was the only DC book I bought worth reading, you know it's a poor week.

One out of three this time DC.

So, at the end of the month, I'd have to rank (in order) Animal Man, Frankenstein, Demon Knights, Action Comics, and Batman as the best DC books.

Still, DC has me for those books, plus Resurrection Man and Justice League Dark (maybe Deadman too), which is far more DC comics than I was reading before the relaunch, so their plot worked.

Justice League Dark #1-The first page pissed me off because there was a Tarot for each JLD character, but you couldn't see which card was John.

The name of the card is cropped, but you can see number IX on top of it, so it should be The Hermit..

Never mind that. Stop moving the thread while I'm trying to post in it.

Superman issue 1 (again): no thanks. The art is competent fill-in art, bordering adolescent in style; why not get a top artist for the big relaunch issue of the company's flagship character? The script was mediocre too, especially the exposition supposedly written by Clark Kent which was quite un-journalistic in tone. ("Thrusted"?) As for the story, I don't give a crap about the characters or the situations, least of all what goes on at the Daily Planet, or Clark Kent as pining loser. We've seen it all before, arranged in different ways.

Justice League Dark #1-...John Constantine was in the issue for one whole page, doing nothing. ... I'd give the issue a B-. ...

But it was one of those quiet breathers between crises that you'd love to see more of in Hellblazer. Surely that deserves an A+? :tongue:

I, Vampire was pretty damn good - art's beautiful (would like to see that team on Hellblazer) and the story's interesting, the lead highlight's one of the most interesting parts of the premise early on - how do you go about conquering a world with the likes of Superman flying around the shop ?

Justice League Dark was alright, will give it a few more issues to see where it goes.

Batman: The Dark Knight was OK. Great art by Finch, but the story seemd a little by the numbers. We'll see.

Far too little in the opening issue of Aquaman to soundly make up my mind, however, Ivan Reis' art was cracking enough.

For my tastes a more unique and compelling twist, take or premise would have grabbed me, but John's does have a track record of making characters work without dicking with the formula.

Christian, I think you should wear your glasses more...

So far, I've read JLD and it was OK.

Dark Knight. Jenkins narration as Batman was not to my liking. It had an arrogant "I'm a badass" quality that I don't care for on Batman. He's been written that way many times, and when he is, I stop reading. I like a more humble Batman on a mission, resolved and only narrating what he sees, the situation, not some faux poetic notion on fear and how he kicks fear's ass. The last page was one of the dumbest things I've seen (and seen before) in comics.

Superman had a lot of action, and a mildly interesting subplot, and I am a fan of Superman not wearing his underwear as outerwear anymore. But the things that bothered me were too numerous to mention: the awful dialogue, the way Perry White was drawn, the crossover bullshit that I totally hate about big comic events, and that even the action sequences felt uninspired. Lois Lane is still a cliche, but now she's a different cliche f[ Spoiler : ucking her boss. ]

And Jason, that's 3 for 3. You should win something for being so clever consistently.

I fixed the poll for those of you who liked more than one.

My busiest week. Here are the books in reverse order.

Voodoo was one of the secret 52 sub-titles of Titty Heroes wasn't it? With Catwoman and the forthcoming Ultra Whore.

This will be the first one I actually drop.

ie now.

JLD was okay, but I just don't like this type of ensemble superhero book. Very nice art.

Constantine here is going to be better than the one in Hellblazer. FACT.

Slinker was right all along and you people ridiculed him. THEY HAVE STOLEN OUR CONSTANTINE !!!

All Star Western. Basically Jonah Hex continued, but hopefully with longer story arcs and perhaps more varied cast.

I, Vampire should just have been a Vertigo book and I suspect it isn't purely because they are sitting in a tree with Scott Snyder.

Lovely art, immensely well written.

Yeah, but how many vampire books does Vertigo want to publish?

That's why I don't see it finding a readership. The cover art and first issue synopsis made it sound like a "Twilight" abomination, which is going to make a lot of readers avoid it, and the fact that there is already a vampire horror comic being published by Vertigo will probably lead others to not give it a chance.

I do like that it's published by DC though. It's using Andrew Bennett (from the original I, Vampire series), and I like the fact that DC is stretching itself out by publishing a line of horror comics (There were a few of the "DC Dark" books I was thinking would've been at home with Vertigo in the past). It reminds me of post-Crisis, before DC decided to create the Vertigo line (Now, Vertigo has its own raison-d'etre).

And Jason, that's 3 for 3. You should win something for being so clever consistently.

Monsieur is too kind. :blush:

I won some steaks at the pub last night.

Ah, excellent. My eyesight is poor. I have glasses, but I don't use them. Thanks.

You are welcome sir.

I wonder if hiding the name was a neat trick to push young magic enthusiasts into doing some research or a pure coincidence.

I guess it would depend on how much the reader cared about John Constantine, since the characters who actually feature in the issue all have their arcana displayed.

Surely the kiddies will idolize the crazy guy with the make-believe girlfriend rather than the guy who falls out of the sky, after all.

I do wonder about choosing the Hermit for John. In some ways it fits, but in others it's an intriguing choice.

Is Milligan telling us something about where this version of John is going, or did he use up all the usual choices for John on other characters and was stuck on his choice for John?

Aquaman rocked in all the ways I expected. This is Johns working his magic like he did on other heroes. I like that Aquaman is portrayed as a badass to be taken seriously, yet he embraces his humanity. It was a bit...light...in content, expecting more meat to it, but it's just the 1st issue and it did all the right things for introducing the character and his new/old status quo. Lastly, Reis's work is truly high art

Flash had me a bit torn. I love the character. I love Manapul's art, which was absolutely perfect, making him one of my favorite Flash artists. Yet, this isn't my Barry Allen. I want that Barry that is happily married to Iris & an experienced hero that's been thru it all. This wasn't bad in any way, but it felt more like fill-in or something one would see in a one-shot or annual. Still worth checking out #2

Savage Hawkman was interesting. Tony Daniel is bringing Carter Hall back with ...an...edge, I guess? He's not anymore the badass warrior that he was before. There is however an interesting new take on his powers & the Nth metal that makes for good possibilities. It was good to see Hall actually doing some archeology work...well..ok, cryptology. The art by Tan is decent. There are some good ideas here, just not enough to keep me around.

Yeah, that scene with Shade was one of the better ones in the book, whereas Constantine's was just strange. How many times recently have we seen John fall out of the sky or appear in the middle of the river out of nowhere? What's the deal here?

I really hope Milligan pushes that Tarot theme further. He kicked it off nicely with the Fool, a girl walks onto a highway, that is one reckless step. I guess Zatanna should contribute to the next issue(or has she already) because she had card 1 The Magician. Next is Constantine with The Hermit, which will maybe make him some sort of a leader.

Shade has Madness at XI drawn on page 5.. now i don't know what kind of a deck it is, Crowley's Thoth deck, used by Alan Moore in Promethea had Lust at XI, maybe Milligan just made his own version for DC. It would be interesting if Shade was Death, because that card also means change if i remember correctly, so that would fit the Changing Man status. And the body of Shade belonged to Grenzer once, who brought about a lot of death.. :)

I'm curious to where it goes, i thought it began great, at least much better than i expected , and the art is very very good.

There are a lot of different Tarot decks now. A.E. Waite's is the standard, taken from the earliest Tarot cards. I'm only familiar with Waite's and Crowley's, but it would have to be derived from Crowley's. XI is always Justice, Strength, or Lust in these systems.

JLD was okay, but I just don't like this type of ensemble superhero book. Very nice art.

Constantine here is going to be better than the one in Hellblazer. FACT.

Slinker was right all along and you people ridiculed him. THEY HAVE STOLEN OUR CONSTANTINE !!

When you have written my autobiography...heh heh...you make sure to put that on every single page with a flowery border and a tv that's on but with the screen facing away from the reader so he can only hear it, not see it.

Re: Firestorm, it is very bad! But from what I've been told from an unofficial source who knows Van Sciver is that he is essentially doing the writting/plot and Simone is just there to smooth it a bit. But she isn't exactly bringing her A game since she doesn't really care the for the character.

In my opinion, having a Batgirl is so boring and redundant when there is a fantastic, well formed charcter in Batwoman.

Heh, so i had a chat with Mikel Janin, who is the rtist of Justice League Dark, during the NY Comic Con, and asked him about the Tarot stuff s[ecifically.. He told me that He only had 3 cards in the script, Zatanna, The Blonde Girl, and the Enchantress i think.. Adding the rest was his idea and the Vertigo editorial team accepted it :) So much for the big, overarching TaROT masterplan heh.

On another note, I had a chat with Frank Quietly, who was just sitting against the wall, unrecognized. I almost flipped. Wasnt sure if it was him so I asked "Are you an artist here?" sensing it could be him. He said "Yes". I asked "aRE YOU fRANK qUIETLY?" having seen some photos of him. He said "Yes", Holy Fucking Shit, i thought. I had my WE3 copy in my backpack, looking forward to meeting him, but not JUST LIKe THAT. Frank is one of the nicest, most humble and awesome e artists around.. We chatted for like 20 minutes about Multiversity, the upcoming Flex Mentallo reprint and other stuff. He drew a "Fourth caracter of WE3.. a fish" in my book, i can post it somewhere, it's pretty funny. Come to the NY Comic Con as soon as possible, seriously

Yeah, I'd like to go to that New York one sometime. Much more keen on that than San Diego.

This month's #2 books have mostly been a step down for me.

JLD is messy. Messy.

All Star Western is nice.

The two page spread on pages 7 & 8 is lovely (the earlier one less so and the "evening boys" page is daft). The story moves on with a sense of direction unlike the above two.

I Vampire remains the pick of this bunch.

Lovely art, nothing original in the story perhaps, but then it's well told.

Aquaman #1 & 2-I got around to reading this finally, and gee, two issues in and it felt like about 1/4 of a non-padded comic book. I had to count the pages to make sure that it was the same size as most other DC books, and yeah, it is. Issue #1, something approaches the surface. Issue #2, something reaches the surface. I can't say it's a bad comic, but I basically can't really say it's a story at all yet. I guess I'll stick around for issue #3, where Aquaman and Mera spend an issue eating a dinner very slowly...but, if something doesn't happen soon, I won't be reading this book long.

Green Lantern:New Guardians-Another reprint, picked it up on a whim because it had a lot of alien species on the cover. It's ok. Nothing special. It's the story of Kyle Rayner getting his GL ring, and then something happens....I don't want to give away spoilers, but also, I'm not really sure what happened. Seems like it might be another decompressed comic, but it's not as bad as Aquaman at least.