Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

American Gods Imagined

Well, we all miss him.

According to folklore, they (usually) manifest like small humans, and dress appropriately for their occupation.

Yeah, bumer no Anansi. But it's been so long since I read the book I have to re-familiarize myself with some of the characters/concepts.

I was the same, Lou.

I recognized the characters who were kept within their mythological milieu, but the ones playing off of the novel explicitly, I have little memory about.

I can't believe it's been a decade since I read American Gods.

I read it in November of 2001, shortly after it came out.

Time flies...when you're not watching movies backward...or something.

You get the new 10th anniversary release CC?

I picked it up and plan on re-reading it when the weather gets a bit colder.

Nah, I still have my original hardcover I bought.

My girlfriend has mentioned from time to time about reading it, but never got around to reading my copy, so I might pick up the 10th anniversary edition just for her.

Ha! This is awesome!

Sadly no Anansi, though.

I thought I saw him? Come on, Anansi was an important character! :/

Not only was he important, he was super cool. The Kybold, the computor boy, et al, were interesting ideas, but Mr Nancy fucking rocks, if we had to have gods, if it were something the universe inflicted on us like it does say, piles, or T.B., at least we could have a funny, good sport as a god, eh?.

Oh yeah, I've got a real love for trickster gods, myself...but they can mess you mortals up badly if you're not playing the right games.

But didn't he tell jokes where he also was the butt of them?. Anyway, if we have to have arbitary myth-figures, let's have ones that primarily wish to inflict humour, rather than awe.

You know, people growing up with role-models that encourage sneaking about playing tricks and smiling suavely at the ladies, rather than role models whose main aim seems to make the young people frightened of their willies/girly equivilents.

I love Anansi, don't get me wrong. Just would hate to be on the wrong side of him or have something that he might want, for it wouldn't be mine no more.

And when reading American Gods or Anansi Boys, does anyone else picture him as Scatman Cruthers?

Not until you said that I didn't.

:)

Actually, I never pictured him, but your asking made me instantly think to try who I thought of him like as, and I came up with our Uncle Rowly. Though probably too forced/too much Rum for sensible thiking.

He would wander past at a family barbque, pinch beer off one of my other uncles, laugh and cuddle one of the Aunties, teach us kids a dirty trick to play on someone, then go off and cause a noisy argument with the Nannas.

His most effective dirty trick as I remember it was linked to the 1970s being a growth time for beards on New Zealand males. One of us kids would sneak into the kitchen and get the jar of honey. Smeared onto your palms, you would walk up smiling to a random uncle, and grab his cheeks with your honey-hands.

That post took a while to make make sense. Goddnight folks.

Speaking of American Gods, as you were a mere 3 years ago, Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Dead like me, Pushing Daisies) and Michael Green (Heroes) are apparently writing the script for a TV adaptation for starz along side Neil Gaiman. Sounds like a good combination to me if it ever happens.

I was hearing Jason Momoa for Shadow. I'd buy into that.

Well....Aquaman can't be Shadow Moon, can he? :icon_wink:

It's guaranteed, he's Aquaman. The gave the official word a few weeks back when the announced the HUGE WB movie schedule.

I'm not great with TV guys, but I would think someone from Sons Of Anarchy would be good. OH! Speaking of...howabout Ron Perlman as Mr. Wednesday.