Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Batman: Year One

Well, I think the review I posted previously was a bit overly gushing, but Cranston did a good job. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this to be a Batman film with the least screen time for Batman himself. Lot of Bruce Wayne, not as much Batman. It makes sense, but I'm just pointing that out.

Seen the whole thing.

It's great, though some of the voice talent isn't very talented. The guy voicing Bats does a great rich boy Bruce Wayne, but he's not too god at being the Dark Knight.

Highly recommended.

Heh! Happy to oblige.

I...liked it. Didn't love it, but liked it - definitely worth checking out, although I'd suggest lowering your expectations ever so slightly. The animation is good - not as fluid as I'd have liked, but stylish and effective. The voice acting is hit-and-miss - yer-man-out-of-Breaking Bad is excellent as Gordon, but some of the supporting characters are a bit weak, I didn't really buy Dushku as Catwoman, and I'd second Kate's comment about the guy playing Bruce/Batman.

I re-read Year One for the first time in a long while after watching it, and with both versions fresh in my mind, I was fairly impressed by the adaptation work - it's trimmed down substantially in a few key places, but most of the story is very much intact, and it rather neatly maintains the same balance as the book does between Gordon's story and Batman's. Essen's role is the only one which I felt was significantly short-changed, and she could really have done with a bit more screentime to flesh her character out.

The main problem I had with it is that the stripped-down adaptation reveals a few structural problems which are there in the source material as well - Catwoman's role in the story never entirely meshes with the rest of the movie, and could probably have been removed almost entirely, to the film's overall benefit (that's less of a problem in a book whose express purpose is to set up the origins of the wider Batman universe, but for a movie telling a single self-contained story, it really stands out), and the climax on the bridge is still fairly weak, a distinct anticlimax after everything which comes before. Again, that's not such a problem in the book, but the film suffers for it. Some of the action is a bit awkward, too - for the most part it goes for the same sort of pseudo-realism of the book, but every so often there'll be a shot of Batman jumping off a 3- or 4-storey building in a way which rather undermines the sense of physical reality (that's a particular issue with the bridge baby-rescue sequence, which stretches plausibility in the book but looks completely unbelievable in motion).

Overall a decent effort - flawed but definitely worth watching.

Wow, I agree completely. I'm not as impressed with Cranston=Gordon, but the rest is spot on. nice job!