Rassmguy

Who should take over the writing chores?

Since I'm just not enjoying Milligan's run at all, I keep hoping that a new writer for the series will soon be announced. Since Milligan is now writing JLD as well, that probably won't happen any time soon... but who would be your dream team if you had a say in who the next team-up would be?

I'd love to see Neil Gaiman take on the series. I still consider his one-shot, WAAAAY back when, to be one of the best Constantine stories ever told. As for artwork, I'd love to see what John Cassaday could do.

Please, not Spencer.

To be realistic, I'd like to see Cornell take a shot at the book. He could probably do a good job.

Out of the current crop of possible writers to take over on HB, I can't really think of any better choices than Cornell.

There's zero chance of Gaiman or Morrison on the book.

If I could choose anyone, I'd like to see DeMatteis and Jon J. Muth on the book. It'd be different, at the very least. I'm not sure if they'd be good for the long run though.

Hey, he said Dream Team right?

Good call on DeMatteis and Muth, although I wonder if JM would blow to much happy new age smoke up my ass. :wink:

Dream Team? I'd rather go with realistic.

Paul Cornell

Jason Aaron

Jeff Lemire

Scott Snyder

Rick Remender

Brian Wood

Steve Niles

Paul Cornell!

If not him then China Mieville (as compensation for DC scraping his proposed Swamp Thing series)

Big fat fuck, no to Grant Morrison. Please take him back, Marvel!!

John Smith.

I had high hopes for Kieron Gillen after Phonogram, but understand he's off with the mutants now.

No yanks, that's for sure. In particular, Jason Aaron shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the book after his first effort. Not sure he should be allowed anywhere near a word processor.

I liked the second trade of Phonogram much more than the first, but Gillen wouldn't be my top choice. As I've said far too frequently before, China Mieville would be my top choice - he's got a fertile imagination and a political spirit, and he absolutely nailed John in the Christmas story he did.

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

Interesting--Quitely was one of the artists I considered naming when creating this thread. He'd do GREAT things for Hellblazer, I'd bet.

There's zero chance of Gaiman or Morrison on the book.

Oh, I realize that. But I can dream. :)

If I could choose anyone, I'd like to see DeMatteis and Jon J. Muth on the book. It'd be different, at the very least. I'm not sure if they'd be good for the long run though.

Muth would be great! I loved his work on Swamp Thing: Roots. Simply brilliant.

Paul Cornell

Jason Aaron

Jeff Lemire

Scott Snyder

Rick Remender

Brian Wood

Steve Niles

I'd be good with most of those, but not Aaron--I didn't like his previous take on Hellblazer.

John Smith.

YES!

No yanks, that's for sure. In particular, Jason Aaron shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the book after his first effort. Not sure he should be allowed anywhere near a word processor.

LOL. Agreed!

I liked the second trade of Phonogram much more than the first, but Gillen wouldn't be my top choice. As I've said far too frequently before, China Mieville would be my top choice - he's got a fertile imagination and a political spirit, and he absolutely nailed John in the Christmas story he did.

Oh, hell yeah--Mieville would be an excellent choice.

Sadly, I doubt anyone any of us have named will be given the reins. In the meantime, I find myself frequently shaking my head in disgust at how bad Hellblazer has gotten over the past year.

I thought about Aaron, who has been doing some solid work on the Punisher. But then I remembered that 2 parter he did that was...not great.

Let me get back to that after I've read his Ghost Rider.

edit - having said that, an oversized one shot written and drawn by Mike Mignola would be just about perfect, although not really what Rassm is asking

I'll second the votes for China Mieville, John Smith and Si Spencer (I know everybody, quite rightly, hated The Mod Squad or whatever it was called, but he's written a pretty decent Constantine as well).

If DC are willing to continue with the novelist thing after the mess Denise Mina made, Gary McMahon or Karen Koehler could probably do something interesting (obviously, the perfect choice would be M John Harrison, but they're more likely to get Alan Moore as a writer, I suspect...)

I suspect Lou's right that Dematteis' aggressive new age psychobabbling wouldn't suit the character very well: that's something Constantine's always taken a very dim view of,however badly written, after all.

Artists are a lot easier to come up with. Dave Carson is an even more ridiculous fantasy than Harrison, sadly, but Dean Ormston might be possible, and maybe Chris Bachalo could be lured away from Marvel (the notion of that hyper cute cartoony style applied to the grime and nastiness of Hellblazer is very appealing). Then there's Glyn Dillon, Becky Cloonan, Eduardo Risso, Colin Wilson and Steve Yeowell.

So the dream team would be M John Harrison and Dave Carson: not that much more unlikely than Morrison and Quitely, I suppose...

As far as artists go. From the opposite ends of the spectrum, i'd like to have Guy Davis (who would be brilliant on a seedy monster arc) and Tony Harris (for a more realistic human horror sort of story).

As far as writers go, I know you guys say "No Yanks", but what about Joe Hill? I hear good thiings about Locke & Key, and the 2 novels of his that i read have been quite good. After that, surely there is some up and comer over there that would have a good take on it. I still say it's unfair to say Denise Mina 'made a mess' of the book, i'd put that up to poor editing and the lack of a guiding hand that went with it. Might just be the passage of time, though.

I'd still argue Milligan and Mina have been the best writers on the book since, ooh, let's say mid-Azzarello.

It's not exactly been stiff competition, though.

Davis would be great (and probably a better fit than Ormston, come to that), and Harris would be interesting.

I wouldn't want to see Joe Hill writing Hellblazer for a couple of reasons. One is petty spite: he's getting plenty enough comics work already (not just the slightly tiresome Locke & Key), without having him write an ongoing monthly around everything else he's doing. The other is that he's a very American writer in terms of his voice, and I really can't see him making anything set in the UK work very well.

As I've said far too frequently before, China Mieville would be my top choice - he's got a fertile imagination and a political spirit, and he absolutely nailed John in the Christmas story he did.

When did Jason Aaron write Hellblazer? I must have missed that. I generally only read the trades, though.

To be honest I think it's got to be a British or Irish writer. There are loads of American writers who could write good HB stories but the dialogue is always off. I'm a big Azzarello fan but his dialogue is awful when he's writing non-American characters (remember the Irish sergeant in Loveless? Dear me).

I'd still argue Milligan and Mina have been the best writers on the book since, ooh, let's say mid-Azzarello.

It's not exactly been stiff competition, though.

That is quite possibly the craziest thing I have read on this forum for a long long time.

It is a stiff competition, though, to be fair to you.

As well as aforementioned Mieville,

I'd go for the obvious: Rankin, Hill and Niles;

the probables: Cornell, Snyder;

the left field: David Hine, Si Spurrier.

It would probably be Paul Cornell

If I was a betting man, I'd put a large sum on that - I note he's got a new series coming out through Vertigo soon too. Personally I find his comics to be naff, Ellis-lite toss but a lot of folk seem to like his work.

Badhorse, Aaron wrote #245 and #246.

Dream Team? I'd rather go with realistic.

Brian Wood

That's an interesting choice I weighted back and forth.

I'd rather not see Gillen. I'm not sure. Something like Phonogram would work on HB, and he's apparently been getting good reviews with his work on Journey into Mystery, which would fit with the supernatural style of HB.

But, so much of his Marvel work is that cynical post-modern Matt Fraction style writing, and I'm afraid we'd end up with that Gillen on Hellblazer.

We need to avoid that ultra-slick, generic post-modern style in Hellblazer.

M. John Harrison would be absolutely amazing, but I think that's beyond even my ability to dream.

If we move outside the realm of comics, I'm going with John Crowley as my ultimate, will never happen choice.