Rassmguy

Who should take over the writing chores?

Can't say that I liked the mainstream work Robbie Morrison did, but he is a Hellblazer option I should have considered.

Based on what I've read of Robbie Morrison, he seems far too much like WildStorm style Ellis.

Edginton, I believe, started out writing for American comics before moving to 2000 A.D. actually; he did it backwards.

Edginton is a good writer, but his style isn't a good fit for Hellblazer either.

I wish Pat Mills would have written Hellblazer at some point.

Did Karen Berger say "Until it ends" ?

I can live with that.

Heh, no, it will go on.. She basically said Milligan can stay as long as he wants, or that Pete wants to stay a long time, can't remember excatly. There should be an audio version available, they usually post these panels on the DC website at some point. It was quite obvious she doesn't care about Constantine much any more, she barely mentioned that an annual is coming out. Someone from the audience asked a question about JC later.

In case anyone wants to google some current 2000AD writers, try Ian Edginton, Alec Worley and Robbie Morrison.

I'm acquainted with Ian, and would love to see him write Hellblazer. He's a great writer, and a hell of a nice guy.

Oh, and my re-read of Milligan's run is going pretty much like my initial read--after Shade shows up, it doesn't get better. Right now, John's cauterizing himself a new thumb, and Gemma is stealing the trenchcoat... and I'm finding myself rolling my eyes and thinking, "What the FUCK is THIS shit?" I don't get it. Pre-Shade, Milligan's run had potential... but the time-travel crap was SUCH a fridge-nuking shark jump, and the series has not recovered from that massive kick in the oysters.

If Berger says that Milligan will be writing this series "forever," then I may need to re-think keeping up with it, because he's just not right for this series, in my opinion. He doesn't write John well, his plots are paper-thin, his new characters are not that interesting, and he's far more into shocking the audience than he is in crafting a great story. Plus, I can get through one of his issues in about five or six minutes, which is WAY too little material, given the cover price. Whereas other Hellblazer writers crafted novels, he's producing pamphlets.

Bottom line: Milligan = Meh.

...Milligan ... I can get through one of his issues in about five or six minutes, which is WAY too little material, given the cover price. Whereas other Hellblazer writers crafted novels, he's producing pamphlets.

So you didn't read Andy Diggle's run, then? :wink:

Bottom line: Milligan = Meh.

That's my take too. I don't think Pete's run is bad or somehow objectively wrong, it's just nothing I'd want to read. I also believe Hellblazer could, uh, be more; but that's entirely subjective.

Edginton is a good writer, but his style isn't a good fit for Hellblazer either.

Perhaps monsieur should read more of Ian's considerable oeuvre. :tongue:

Rich, go ask him if he wants the job. We'll wait. :)

Sadly, Edginton wanting the job doesn't necessarily mean he has a chance of getting it: John Smith, Grant Morrison and his (then) mini me Mark Millar were all after the Hellblazer job when Ennis got it, after all...

Ennis was a relatively new name to comics at the time, and a totally new name in America.

Apparently, someone just really happened to love True Faith and Ennis got the job, but it's not like he got because he was a "hot name" back then.

It's funny to think back to the days when Morrison and Millar had a hard time getting picked for assignments. Now, they have their say in getting any projects they want.

Morrison and Millar were trying to get in on the 2099 imprint at Marvel and got turned down too.

I remember hunting down Morrison's run on Animal Man and paying $1 an issue, because hardly anyone knew who Morrison was yet.

The really funny story is that one factor in Ennis getting it was that (unlike Smith) he refused point blank to write Doctor Fate if he couldn't have the Hellblazer gig...

Looks like Milligoon's sticking around for at least another storyline after the current one -

Nrama: As you mentioned, John Constantine is still being written by you in Hellblazer. As you're finishing up "Another Season in Hell" in February, what else will we see in the title coming up?

Milligan: A storyline with the working title "The Curse of the Constantines." Bad blood, mad relatives, poetry and black magic.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/peter-milligan-stormwatch-interview-dc-new-52-120131.html

You guys are mean, the man is trying to please too many masters. I honestly can't envy him having to write such a long established book and still make it interesting for us long term readers and also make it possibly appealing to callow youth what "dunno who Constantine is" but might possibly pick up a comic if it has a young chickibabe what gets her kit off. And has stupid rings in her face and other bits.

Seriously, who of us could write a storyline for John to suit the modern market?. Not I.

I just wish people, anyone, would stop having John do things his experience, training, wariness and cunning WOULD NOT let him do.

Like marry a crazy young bird whos old man is a ruthless murderer. And everything he has done since then, maybe.

Seriously, who of us could write a storyline for John to suit the modern market?. Not I.

I just wish people, anyone, would stop having John do things his experience, training, wariness and cunning WOULD NOT let him do.

Like marry a crazy young bird whos old man is a ruthless murderer. And everything he has done since then, maybe.

Nice work, you have answered your own question.

I am not averse to the idea of Constantine marrying a younger model in his mid-crisis life, just the way it's been told.

And come to think of it, I did not mention the horrid flowery language in JL:Dminus.

My Top 5 answers to this thread's main question are currently

1 Mieville, C

2 Hine, D

3 Spurrier, S

4 Snyder, S

5 Hill, J

reserve (may be placated by DCU version) Lemire, J

+1.

One of the difficulties of writing for Constantine in 2012 is that he's a character older and more experienced than most active writers. It's a significant task.

What is wrong with writing the character as wiser and more experienced and cunning and sly than the average punter with a supersuit?, I like it when they do write him that way.He has done more and learnt more of the pitfalls and weaknesses of the universe than any ten average wisemen. Been to hell and back like a commuter, fooled gods and devils and his own hellspawn, mentor to The Green, cracked wise to Supermen, what hasn't he done?.

He is bigger than other characters.

What is wrong with having him flinch at the doorway into hell, not from some childish nose wrinkle because of a bad smell, but from the MORAL stench of gods evil inevitable unfair slaughter house, hidden under the mayfly trick of existance?. Have him win tricks against the demon of the day, ok, but feeling the obvious complete lack of even a chance of utimate success, because hell is infinite, full of the innocent, and one soul saved is actually nothing, and even saving it to "heaven" is a lie and a wrong, because god has a slaughter house. And fighting anyway.

If no one can be free while one of us is a slave, what heaven can there be with most of us in hell for eternity?.

I dunno if they can write him consistantly. I have liked best the few times he has been labouring under hardship, like when he lost his mind, because any other scenario ought simply amount to him grinning cynically and,( being on top of his game, all that experience AND a powerful mage with that Highway To Win thing at his fingertips ) just cutting the villians legs out from under them. Which is boring.

I don't know enough about it to know more than I am not happy with mid-life crisis John.

The problem in recent years* with writing John as "more experienced or cunning" than the super-doers is that this translates into an adolescent cynicism and an immoral lack of caring about anything outside the realm of the character's own little personal realm.

There's been a grave misunderstanding of John's character.

*Not naming any writer's name here, but it sounds a lot like Mulligan

I think Aaron, Wood and Niles are all at the top of their games and could instantly increase HELLBLAZER's audience and sales figures (which would be very positive for the book), but (as mentioned) Aaron's previous effort was sub-everything else he's ever written. Niles could take John into more of a 'Criminal Macabre' setting (which is already too much like HB), and though Wood could possibly do a good job, I agree with the no yanks sentiments.

Ian Rankin and Si Spencer have both done a good job portraying John's character faithfully in the past. (of course, I thought Mina's John was wonderful, too, but her stories she placed him in were godawful--there's an uneven trade-off there). I think Spencer's John is a little too close to Azz's John--my least favorite portrayal of him for the whole book was Azz, though Hard Time, Good Intentions and Highwater were good stories in spite of a lame John. Remember, in addition to City of Demons, Spencer also wrote 'BoM: Life During Wartime,' which featured heavy doses of John C. as more of a garrison commander than anything else. But as that series fell apart, John's character was solidly enjoyable until the very end, when he cheesed out like Velveeta in a playdough factory toy.

Rankin's John seemed to me more similar to Carey's, to me. And Carey seems to have written the most authentic John in the most compelling situations over the past decade. So, I might lean toward Rankin, but Spencer wouldn't piss me off either. In fact, either of those two would reinvigorate my interest in Hellblazer, a book which unfortunately, Milligan has done very well to make me apathetic toward.

I have no "No Yank" sentiment* you understand.

Some of the stirring and most humane work in all of writing and certainly so in art, is "Yank".

I do have a strong "No shit fucking writers" sentiment for HB, but then I have the same for the prose on rolls of toiletpaper.

but an American writer can't really write convincingly of the eccentricities of London, can s/he? if an american has lived there for a decade or more, maybe. but the writer for this book had better know england beyond the web and books and tv.

Writers can write and research.

Small nuances are not what makes a good Hellblazer story (unless they reach critical mass).

At this point I want our horror comic back in the hands of someone who writes horror.