• a pleasant meal with excellent wine and conversation
    • slight but usable erection
    • like the first time you enjoyed getting high
    • Among the greatest things ever

HELLBLAZER #284

20509_180x270.jpg

Written by PETER MILLIGAN • Art by GAEL BERTRAND

Cover by SIMON BISLEY

When Georgie comes into possession of Constantine’s trench coat, she finds her life imitating the art from her favorite comic book. Meanwhile, Constantine’s attempts to repay a debt he owes his father-in-law ends in bloody disaster – and speaking of debts, Tamsin the witch thinks she owns a piece of our urban mage’s errant niece, Gemma.

I liked it more than #283. Piffy looks 13, which is weird but I did like the art. The last frame didn't make much sense, well, a little. still don't know what to make of the nude vendetta witch bitches.

Damn addictive chemicals!

So, does the trenchcoat talk as much this month?

Is it now the most compelling character in the book?

Will John soon be replaced by The Trechcoat? If only John did wear that blazer all the time so talked about in the title, then they wouldn't have to change the book's name and relaunch it. Helltrenchcoat!

It was OK.

Confused why 'slight but usable erection' is apparently rated better than 'a pleasant meal with excellent wine and conversation', though.

It was OK.

Confused why 'slight but usable erection' is apparently rated better than 'a pleasant meal with excellent wine and conversation', though.

It's Slinker, sister.

I quite enjoyed it! Gael Bertrand's art is much nicer than his first guest spot in #280. less cartoony, nice background, solid stuff. reminds me a bit of my own style. really dug the nightmare pages. the story is so-so, but the art lifted it up a great deal for me.

I agree on the art being a big step up by Gael Bertrand, who pretty much carried this story to a higher level. I enjoyed the first half of the story a lot, reminded me of Sandman for some reason. I loved the sequence where the girl gets the vision, it was a classic Milligan moment where you think something is happening and go "holy shit", just to find out it was just a false ending, which leaves an impression nonetheless. The second part of the issue fell into "Huh? Did something happen?". Not bad, some great moments, some forgettable moments. Very embarrassing cover again :)

Because sex is better than food and talking, of course. it might be slightly usable, but it's usable!

I read it as "slight butt-usable".

Jason, you need to win some kind of award.

A big improvement on last issue; I'm actually getting drawn into this story now, although I'm not sure how much of that is the coat/John's trippy adventures plotlines dovetailing and how much is Gael Bertrand's gorgeous artwork (and a lovely colouring job).

I'm with James. It's a slight improvement. Still not really very good, but OK, and the art is nice.