Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Shawn    297

Captain America & Bucky will become Captain America & Hawkeye for four issues. Then Captain America & (insert Marvel character here). So basically it will be a Cap team-up book. Meh, ok I guess. Isn't that something that can be done in his regular book or Avengers?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36364

Christian    761

That seems to be Marvel's new policy to keep old books that should be canceled going past their "sale-by" date.

That ill-conceived adjectively X-Men book that Marvel launched when adjectiveless X-Men became X-Men:Legacy is now a team-up book featuring the X-Men.

The second Spider Man title launched (Avenging Spidey) is a team-up book.

They serve no purpose, except to try to increase sales from completists who want to read every book with a certain character. I can't believe those types still exist, by the way.

I'm a comic nerd, no doubt, but I gave up on trying to read every X-title a long time ago. It's obvious they're just milking their line when they keep five comics with "X-Men" in the title going at once, when only two of them involve any major plots. And, that's not counting all the myriad spin-off titles of varying quality that fill the X-shelves.

Wolverine #300-I can't believe they actually made us pay extra to get a Jeph Loeb back-up story. It's just wrong that they put a Loeb story in the 300th issue, period.

Lou K    1,072

... completists who want to read every book with a certain character. I can't believe those types still exist, by the way.

Haha yeah me neither...fucking nerds...

:x_sus:

I'm getting better though...

Shawn    297

Wolverine #300 was enjoyable and I didn't expect it to be. Good, solid art with a fun story of Logan killing lots of ninjas in bad ways. Also it just seems right to NOT have him in his costume while in Japan, since this seems more like personal business. And....since when did Wolverine have a daughter?!?! He's got biological & adopted kids all over the damned place.

Christian    761

You haven't been reading Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine have you? Read the "Red Right Hand" story-arc...

He's a horny guy who gets drunk a lot, travels the world, and is immortal...You think he isn't knocking up many, many women?

By "Wolverine's daughter" you mean Amiko?

She's been around for a long time, just most writers have ignored her. She's been around since the Claremont days.

I forget the exact issue of her first appearance, but it was when the X-Men went to Japan and ended up fighting a dragon. Sometime in the early-1980s.

Wolverine made a pledge to her dying mother to raise Amiko as his own, then he decided to not bother following through on his pledge (considering how often writers have used her over the years).

Actually, it's not quite that bad (although still pretty bad), as he originally left Amiko with Mariko (his ex-fiancee) to raise, but then Mariko was killed, and I don't think anyone adequately dealt with the Amiko situation after that.

I also enjoyed Wolverine #300, as it reminded me of an "old school" Wolverine story, and those always bring back good memories for me.

Shawn    297

I have not read much of Aaron's Wolvy, other than the first arc or two of Weapon X.

And yes I meant Amiko. Who knew?! Isn't X-23 his daughter as well, by way of cloning?

Christian    761

I think so, but yeah, that's by cloning. X-23...she's just not a very good character.

He likes adopting young females as surrogate daughters and then neglecting them. What can you say about the ol' Canucklehead? He's the best there is at what he does, and what he does isn't pretty.

Shawn    297

haha well at least all those females he's "collected" haven't ever been killed and have had relatively normal lives thanks to being associated with him

"Scarlet Spider" is the best thing to come out of the Clone Saga. For what that's worth. Hey it's Ben Reilly-lite. He's a fierce, troubled Spider-Man trying to find his place in the world. Nothing new here. They're just diluting the Spider-Brand with all of these titles.

Christian    761

The continuation of the Tabula Rasa dangling plot thread left over from Uncanny X-Force is picked up in the pages of Uncanny X-Men starting this month.

I was sort of thinking after nearly taking a year's worth of story that the "Dark Angel Saga" plot would be moved away from now.

I mean, the fallout from the story is already being played out in Wolverine & the X-Men, after all.

Tighter inter-title continuity at Marvel? Hmm...

Shawn    297

Uncanny X-Force #20 gets its Alan Moore on....sort of. The Captain Britain Corps is back! They want Betsy to join and want to execute Fantomex for his crimes. Meanwhile, Nightcrawler is a dick. I miss the original Kurt. Wolverine's idea of a Danger Room in this issue is awesome; drinking and killing. So, there's plenty of good stuff going on as the team takes on some inter-dimensional fun. I'm sure Remender is planting seeds for Capt Britain when he joins Secret Avengers. The art was...I'm not sure...servicable? He was trying to pull off a rougher/dirtier looking version of Alan Davis' art.

Christian    761

Secret Avengers #21.1-Wow. Did not see that coming. This issue made me miss Warren Ellis on the book.

Yeah, I'm done with Secret Avengers now. This is like the Warren Ellis run, except not as clever. Which is just plain not good.

Who is the evil Ghost Rider guy though? I've never seen him before.

Oh, and my question about the end of Ellis' run was answered, as Remender is picking up on Ellis' plot. I care even less now that Ellis didn't even bother to finish the plot, and I didn't care a great deal when Ellis was setting it all up.

Shawn    297

That is surprising about Secret Avengers. I'd have thought Remender would be good at it. I will still check it out and the official 1st issue of the new run and new team.

Shawn    297

After seeing a few preview pages & reading very positive reviews I'm excited to buy it. Bru doing what he does best + Guice doing the best art of his career. SOLD!

X-Sanction has been horrendous. But it's written by Loeb, so what do expect?

Shawn    297

Secret Avengers #22 was dull. Though far from bad, it didn't grab my attention and entertain me much. The art by Hardman was good. I expected better from Remender. Also, he completely ripped off Lemire on Frankenstein with the new base of operations.

I won't be back.

A. Heathen    1,150

Daredevil made me have to buy a spiderman comic, which I am not too happy about.

I think I will leave the Marvel universe behind for a while.

JasonT    447

Heh. I dropped Amazing Spider-Man when it expected me to buy that Daredevil comic.

Christian    761

Marvel made me buy an Amazing Spider Man and a Daredevil comic, and I don't read either of them!

No, no. I kid. I kid.

I am planning to pick both books up again this month after a few months of not having any interest in either.

DD is fighting the Mole Man. Spider Man has the return of Morbius.

Spider Man won't be keeping me for long though, as the "invasion of Dr. Octopus from space" story-line sounds like it's going to lose my interest.

We'll see if DD can win me back again.

I paged through Secret Avengers #22 at the store, just in case the .1 issue was a horrible anomaly.

It looked like an absolute mess. I have no idea what Remender is trying to do, but it's not working.

The tone of the Avengers group (making jokes, dealing with vaguely Morrisonian cosmic concepts) doesn't mesh with a story being told about suicide bombers.

There's a page where Captain Britain describes Beast as looking like a cat...when the artist made him look like a monkey.

Captain Britain's speech pattern was written in expository monologues, for absolutely no reason. "I understand the plight of the people, but your actions are unacceptable." Really? Are we meant to take writing like that seriously in a comic book from 2012?

The dialogue of the villains looked like it was translated from some foreign language by Babblefish. "The Urn will assimilate for The Mother." Sentences like that make zero sense.

This month's issue of New Mutants is a gem. I imagine it's what Andi Watson would write if he worked for Marvel.

In an earlier story-line, Amara agreed to a date with Mephisto to save her friends, and this issue, the date happens.

Abnett turns all expectations on their head. An awesome part if when Mephisto explains that he gives most of his money to charity, because if people die young, they die without much sin, so he'd rather see people live long and healthy lives because they're more likely to damn themselves.

This book is another of those Marvel sleeper-hits that are going under the radar, but people should be checking out (like Gillen on Journey into Mystery).

Shawn    297

Christian describing Secret Avengers as a mess would be accurate. Worse still, I like all the characters being used.....but they come off so flat and/or annoying

DD is possibly the best book Marvel is putting out. I didn't buy the 1st part of the DD/Spidey crossover and had no problem enjoying it or feel the need to buy Spidey.

Avaunt    283

Captain Britain's speech pattern was written in expository monologues, for absolutely no reason. "I understand the plight of the people, but your actions are unacceptable."

Especially when he is well established as being aware of his own tendency to having a slightly stilted, stick up his bum attitude. enough so that he quite obviously ( And very British-ly ) takes the mickey out of his own self.

Part of the pleasure I have had out of the character is his self-aware attitude. So anything like what you have seen is a black mark.

jaynova    1

I was going to ask if anyone was reading The Defenders (right now, it's the only book I'm getting). I see that Christain likes it to. Good stuff...though I'm not sure I like the promiscuous Dr. Strange. Iron Fist is great, though.

Shawn    297

I didn't like that they basically ignored all the goings on with Captain Britain & MI-13. I LOVED the way Cornell wrote Brian in that book.

And of course Dr. Strange is a bit more promiscuous.....he's not the Sorcerer Supreme. So, he's a lot more free time to...explore...other pursuits.

Defenders though, has some great ideas. But it's just not enough for paying $3.99. I want more "meat on the bone"

Lou K    1,072

So Jason Aaron's run on Incredible Hulk has been pretty average. I don't think it's any fault of his own, it's just that there's not much you can do with the character. The most interesting thing has been the separation of Banner and Hulk but it's mostly been endless fights with Banner's Hulk-like creations: Hulk sharks, boar men, bats, tigers, etc. I can't see myself sticking with this title. The Hulk in big doses is really boring.