Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Fantastic Four #600-The first story (yeah, it's not a complete story), I've been reading this book the entire time, and I still have no idea what was going on. It was just a bunch of fight scenes.

The second story is, of course, the one that everyone expected since the "final issue of the Fantastic Four" lo those many twelve months ago. I do enjoy Hickman's take on Annihilus though. He was always one of my favourite FF villains and barely got any use until that Annihilation cross-over event.

The third story is a vignette, but not a bad character piece for the Inhumans. It's amazing to think about how little fleshed out the relationship between Medusa and Black Bolt actually is considering how long the characters have been around. Little has been done with them, other than using them as a plot point, since their creation besides with the Paul Jenkins' series.

The fourth story was enjoyable as it took me back to some classic Lee/Kirby Galactus stories of the past.

The final story was great.

But, in the end, most of the stories were used to set up future plots. Sub-plots are of great use in serial story-telling, and most comic writers really need to learn how to use this writing tool, but you pay all this money for a 100-page comic, and while it's great there are no reprints, you really wish you'd get more of an actual complete story. Not the best anniversary issue, especially considering the price-tag Marvel put on it, but there's some stories that certainly whet the palate for future issues.

Wolverine & The X-Men #2 was more of the same.......awesome, fun mutant hijinks. There are some great moments with a few of the X-Men. Despite Wolvy being headmaster & the titular character, all the cool moments belong to others, especially Iceman. I'm surprised that no one has thought of using Drake's powers that way. I am glad Aaron is working at developing the character from beyond sterotypical comic relief. The new Hellfire Club is group of f***ed kids! WOW! Also, Frankenstein monters with flamethrower vs Iceman. EPIC!!! Runner up is Broo the Brood. What funny guy/alien/thing involved in some cute moments with a girl

Side note: I'm happy to see Rachel back in the fold & hope to see her develop more too. She's listed as Rachel Grey...not Rachel Summers. Is this a Rachel from another timeline? Did she have a such a falling our with Scott that she took her mom's name?

I think it was in homage of Jean Grey, who is officially dead for a while in the Marvel Universe (maybe not after 2012 though...). I forget when the story-line that explained the change happened though. Rachel had been used in Carey's X-Men:Legacy of late.

She is a scene stealer. It is fun when she jumps into the fray, growling, with her big f***ing axe

Warren Ellis delivers some of his most solid work in quite a while with Secret Avengers. Each one of the issues is a fun sci-fi adventure, self contained but with some elements that paint a larger canvas. He takes on a format of a lot of his Planetary run, each story is a genre piece, sci-fi adventure, sci-fi kung-fu adventure or whatever he puts together. Ellis writes an awesome Steve Rogers and his Beast must be a dream character for him to write with all the comic book "science fact" monologues. It is a funny book, but Warren treats the stories and characters with heart and respect. Art it top notch in each of the 3 issues i read.

^ See I feel the start up and resolution happened a little too quick and sort of turned me off. I had the idea that if each one of these worked toward a larger uber arch it could be cool but honestly I didn't feel Wozza would pull it off so I dropped it. I do like the rotating characters however, and he really does his characters well.

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider.

Hell Bent and Heaven Bound: TB 1 I like this story but unfortunately it suffers some questionable artwork, in particular the artists use of perspective; an inconsistent rendering of the actual size of the Ghost Rider's bike for example. The tale finds Johnny Blaze riding throught the American country side looking for ways to kill an angel. Instead he finds some strange things out on those backwood roads, real Route 666 type of shit. The TPB ugrades with art from Tan Eng Huat but I quickly tired of his style during...

The Last Stand: TB 2 This is the big mega deal where Johnny finds and fights his angel in a big fuck off battle with Danny Ketch. Only OK. There are some big plot holes between here and the next TPB but we'll dust those under the rug. I really got sick of the art once again here. Huat draws a great flaming skull but put some skin on those faces and it's quite not right. Sort of incohesive. I don;t like the idea of having a Ghost Rider for every religion either. I don't need the Ghost Riper Corps. It's sort of neat but there can be only one Spirit of Vengeance. And where the fuck is Zarathos anyway?

Trials and Tribulations: TB 3 Enter Tony Moore. Thank god this book finally gets some decent artwork to go along with such good story telling. I'm not fully done with it but if we are to have multiple Ghost Riders I'd prefer they be the Ghost Riders throughout time bit; see the people who carried the curse before Blaze - a Native American, a barbarian, a witchfinder, etc. Right here is where the book hits it's stride.

All in all not Aaron's best work I've read (that award goes to the mighty Punisher MAX, have yet to read Scalped), but there's so much more to go. For as much as I complained about the art the covers have all been aces. Looking forward to finishing out the run.

Holy crap, Tony Moore did a Ghost Rider arc? Sounds great, need to find it. He has a crossover in his Venom book soon and it will include Ghost Rider as well, that should be something.

I liked these Secret Avengers stories for their kinetic energy, remind me of the kind of thing Jack Kirby did. Fast paced, imaginative and with wit and humor that used to be Ellis' trademarks. I can easily overlook any continuity or the big story as long as the characters are well written and i am having a blast reading it every single time. I couldn't get through a Warren Ellis comic book without falling asleep for the past few years, he seemed to have lost his interest in comics in general. It's good to have him back, even briefly like that.

Defenders #1-I love this. It has the feel of the other Defenders series. Fraction's writing style works very well with the off-beat direction for which the Defenders comics have always been known. It was nice seeing Dr. Strange, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer back together again. Really enjoying the characterization of Dr. Strange here, as that's the Defenders hallmark, to use established characters in a less than serious manner. The tongue-in-cheek flavour even goes so far as little homages to 1970s Marvel. Awesome last page reveal, as the slogan of "Protecting humanity from the impossible" is revealed in all its wondrous portents (i.e. a character from historical sources who has only showed up in one Marvel comic, a Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four no less, rears his presence).

Defenders #1-I love this. It has the feel of the other Defenders series. Fraction's writing style works very well with the off-beat direction for which the Defenders comics have always been known. It was nice seeing Dr. Strange, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer back together again. Really enjoying the characterization of Dr. Strange here, as that's the Defenders hallmark, to use established characters in a less than serious manner. The tongue-in-cheek flavour even goes so far as little homages to 1970s Marvel. Awesome last page reveal, as the slogan of "Protecting humanity from the impossible" is revealed in all its wondrous portents (i.e. a character from historical sources who has only showed up in one Marvel comic, a Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four no less, rears his presence).

That is good to hear! If you say a Defenders comic is good, then it must be so! I'm also glad to see Iron Fist on the team. I think Fraction said he wanted to use characters that people like but aren't big enough names to support their own book, which is a great selling point.

Bendis is soon to be off Avengers.

To borrow from the Doctor, "OH THIS IS CHRISTMAS!!!" It is definitely time for him to leave. I wonder how many talking head issues a person can do? Bendis has not reached the limit apparently.

Want to bet that Fraction takes over? Or Hickman?

I'd like to see what Mike Carey could do with the Avengers.

That is good to hear! If you say a Defenders comic is good, then it must be so! I'm also glad to see Iron Fist on the team. I think Fraction said he wanted to use characters that people like but aren't big enough names to support their own book, which is a great selling point.

Bendis is soon to be off Avengers.

To borrow from the Doctor, "OH THIS IS CHRISTMAS!!!" It is definitely time for him to leave. I wonder how many talking head issues a person can do? Bendis has not reached the limit apparently.

Want to bet that Fraction takes over? Or Hickman?

I'd like to see what Mike Carey could do with the Avengers.

That's really been the purpose of a Defenders comic since the very beginning though.

I thought the scenes using Iron Fist were quite funny. Fraction writes him as a guy who's tired of a fast-paced world and who just wants to be left alone to read comic books.

As far as Avengers, no chance of Carey taking over. I think he's busy putting all his attention into Unwritten at the moment.

Remender is taking over Secret Avengers after Ellis' run is cut short, I know that.

Hickman on Avengers might be interesting...but, I'm saying this thinking of Hickman when he arrived at Marvel, showing so much promise.

Fraction can't be taking over Avengers. He'll be writing half the Marvel line if he takes over on Avengers too.

The saddest part is that Defenders is only the second book at Marvel that Fraction's written which has been any good. He is quickly making a play for the next-Brian Bendis, it's true.

I think my interest in Avengers is so low that I can't see any writer (other than Carey, but there's no chance) making me take an interest in those books again.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say "never", as while I've continued to read X-Men over the past nearly a decade of horrid plots, I never expected anyone to peak my interest in a main X-Men book again, but Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men has really got my attention.

I've heard that this Fraction is closer to what got him noticed, like with Casanova. So the Defenders are going to take on the weird/crazy stuff? Like all of reality exploding or invasions from other dimensions

And I really wish they'd cut down on how many teams these guys can be on. Iron Fist is now on Defenders & New Avengers. Doctor Strange is the same. Namor is on the X-Men & Defenders. Red She-Hulk is on Defenders and teams up frequently with other teams. Let's get Wolverine & Spider-Man to join the Defenders too. Maybe Luke Cage. :smile:

Luke Cage was a member of the Defenders once!

If Wolverine or Spider Man join the Defenders, I'll drop the book. The whole point is that they're supposed to be the B-list team who fights all the odd and weird threats, because the characters fly under the radar, so the creators were able to do wilder stuff with the group.

The original concept was that it was a team made up of loners who really shouldn't be able to get along...but, then they realized that besides the Hulk, none of the characters were A-listers. That was when people like Valykrie and Hellcat who were floating around in 1970s Marvel limbo were given a place on the team.

Amazingly enough, Valkyrie is now on an Avengers team in 2011 Marvel. Although the non-Bendis Avengers book, at least.

I wish they'd get Namor away from the X-Men. He belongs there as much as Spider Man fits in with the Avengers.

Then, Defenders would be the book that would give a home to characters who aren't being used, like Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer.

I didn't even realize that Iron Fist was on an Avenger team.

As much as I like Doctor Strange, and glad to see him headlining a book, I wonder what it would be like with Doctor Voodoo.

Valkyrie on Secret Avengers seems...off. A badass female Asgardian warrior on a team for covert missions?

I disagree with Spider-Man being on the Avengers. At first I was resistant, but then it made sense. He is Marvel's most popular character, so it makes sense to have him on the #1 team.

On Wolverine, I agree. He shouldn't be an Avenger, especially since he's now the Headmaster of a school for gifted youngsters.

Pity the poor Spider Man....he doesn't have the healing factor of Wolverine, yet he's doing solo adventures, is part of the Avengers, and the FF, plus he's trying to hold down a full-time job and maybe a love life!

I guess my problem with Avengers is that it doesn't feel like the old Avengers to me.

I suppose at one point, I could have been arguging that Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch don't belong on the Avengers. Or, that Captain America already has his own book and doesn't need to be on the Avengers roster.

I'm trying to think when I last regularly followed a main Avengers book...and I'd have to guess it was around the end of the Kurt Busiek run.

Wolverine: Logan by Brian K Vaughn and Eduardo Risso was a lot of fun. I don't know why I am on such a Wolverine kick lately. Pretty neat story but even neater still is to see Risso doing Logan. Not sure I buy Logan surviving Hiroshima but it's a pretty important point of the story so...alright, I guess. Looking forward to Enemy of the State next.

Amazing Spider-Man 674 and 675: Ass-kickingly scripted by Dan Slott with the art nailed by Guiseppe "Hellblazer" Camuncoli. A clever story that other writers would have dragged out over 4 issues; Slott has laid it down in a tight 2 issues with room for elements from the ongoing character arcs. Camuncoli is finally on a title that his style suits. :icon_wink: Really great superhero comics, a standout arc for this series.

Slott isn't a superstar comics writer yet, maybe because he confines himself to long underwear books, but his control of his craft is right up there.

I dropped Amazing Spider-Man during 'Spider Island' because I thought it was a cheesy event, but these two issues are enough to get me reading again.

Wolverine: Logan by Brian K Vaughn and Eduardo Risso was a lot of fun. I don't know why I am on such a Wolverine kick lately. Pretty neat story but even neater still is to see Risso doing Logan. Not sure I buy Logan surviving Hiroshima but it's a pretty important point of the story so...alright, I guess. Looking forward to Enemy of the State next.

40 000 other people did survive Hiroshima. Normal healing factor people. Wait, was he at ground zero or something?.

There was actually an enjoyable issue of Uncanny X-Men out this month. That's probably the first time since 1999 that I've enjoyed an issue of the Uncanny X-Men title. How sad.

It's a stand-alone issue told from the point of view of a lone member of the Phalanx, alien hive-mind race.

He's been kept separate from his race and doesn't realize he's now the last member of the hive-mind.

I have to give Gillen credit for actually humanizing what was a poor concept.

The new Age of Apocalypse series looks dire based on the preview issue they stuck in my issue of Uncanny X-Force. Not that I expected much else.

Brian Wood puts Wolverine in an imaginary cyber-punk world...Huh, probably won't be coming back to this series. I don't say that very often about a Brian Wood project.

lol, I read this as "It's a stand-alone issue told from the point of view of a lone member of the Phalanx, alien hive-mind rape". and I sort of nodded sagely and then thought, . . . que?.