Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Picked up Thor #25 as a lead-in to the new #1. It was pretty good. Stunning art by Esad Ribic & Ive Svorcina. (Ive totally deserves a co-credit because the colouring is outstanding.) The line "It was time -- for an all-new Thor" was comic book marketing-speak shat onto a well-crafted script, but whatever. (Also, 'girls of thunder'? Not 'sisters of thunder'?)

I wasn't sure how a comic book about a full-time god could work — where's the jeopardy, what are his limits and motivations, etc — but Jason Aaron made it convincing. It looks like the trick is to make it all so superficial that you don't need to think too much about it. Is that how the Thor books have been done since feeble ol' Don Blake got sidelined?

Sisters of Thunder sounds like a cool all-girl heavy metal band. Or maybe an all guy band? It could work .

I see Thor as being like Marvel's version of Superman in the department of "too powerful". But, I like Thor better than Superman, because Thor is actually a deity. So, you can put him in all sorts of epic of story-lines, where Thor's being in danger isn't the point of the story.

I always felt that way about Superman. Unless someone finds some more Kryptonite, what's the point of the story? Where's the danger? Superman can do anything.

I don't even remember when Don Blake finally got written out of the series. Probably some time back during JMS' run, yes?

The Thor books haven't been entertaining for years. I can barely remember any thing that happened in the Thor comic untill Aaron took over. It seems like it was just killing time, and dealing with Marvel's big cross-overs.

Guardians 3000 #1-This wasn't exactly a great issue. Lots of annoying future-techno-speak that I didn't understand, making the plot harder to understand than it should be. Nothing much happened in the first issue. There were some good elements as well. I'll check out issue #2, since I expect better of Abnett. But, I don't know what the purpose in this first issue was meant to be. It wasn't appealing to new readers, as if I was unfamiliar with the original Guardians, I'd be completely lost now. It didn't do a good job of reintroducing the concept. For long-time readers, there wasn't enough to the issue to pull the reader in to the story.

Thor #1-So, female Thor. It felt different than other issues of Aaron's Thor run, which may not be a good sign, but this was just the first issue.,

There's really not much to talk about from this issue.

There's a mystery of why Thor is not worthy to wield the hammer anymore.

The identity of female Thor isn't who I expected...although I didn't put much thought in to it. Unless what's shown in the comic is meant to mislead readers, and the real personage of female Thor is a mystery.

I don't even remember when Don Blake finally got written out of the series. Probably some time back during JMS' run, yes?

I thought Walt Simonson did away with Don Blake when he had Odin rmeove the enchantment (yet somehow it is back) and then Fury created Sigurd Jarlson identity for the big Norseman.

Agree with you on Superman, which is why All Star was so damn good.

Really really liked Thor #1. "To the hall of weapons. And then...home".

Fucking Toothgnasher under water.

If Thor the Unworthy is just gonna roll through Midgard on a goat righting wrongs then I am gonna lose my shit in a very good way.

The Walt Simonson run was way back in the 1980s. Of course Marvel hit the reset button after Simonson left. It wasn't long before it was back to the same old, same old....Don Blake, Odin, etc. Thor got really dull after Simonson left for a really long time.

Eventually, they got rid of Don Blake again. Then, they got rid of Odin again.

Oh god. Superhero comics really are stuck on an endless loop, aren't they?

Odin's dead! Odin's back alive! This issue:Odin dies! This issue:Odin returns!

Yeah that's sort of why I don't like the x men

Oh look. Magneto's back

Oh no. Scott has beef with Logan over jean.

Oh wow. A world ending threat.

Really really liked Thor #1. "To the hall of weapons. And then...home".

Fucking Toothgnasher under water.

If Thor the Unworthy is just gonna roll through Midgard on a goat righting wrongs then I am gonna lose my shit in a very good way.

Verily, these are glad tidings you bring, friend Lou of K. Dammit! Where be that serving wench? We must celebrate, unto blindness, with casks of mead!!!

If you, one of the more skeptical fans, I know, of this relaunch is down with it, I'm more excited to read it Friday.

Isn't O.G. Thor now being referred to as "Odinson", to differentiate ?

Yeah that's sort of why I don't like the x men

Oh look. Magneto's back

Oh no. Scott has beef with Logan over jean.

Oh wow. A world ending threat.

The Scott/Logan feud would be far more exciting if it were over jeans!

"Your jeans are far more skinny than mine, Scotty. Time to die, bub."

It's just the nature for any superhero comic book. You read the classic material and ignore the rest where the same themes and plots just get recycled over and over again.

Fantastic Four? Oh, the team is fighting again! Reed and Sue are going to break up! Oh, they all got back together in the end! Dr. Doom is dead! Dr. Doom is back alive!

I think you mainly feel that way about X-Men because you didn't read the original Claremont run. It'd take more talking to get you to read X-Men than Thor though, I'd guess. There isn't any easy to way to get hold of the Claremont run anyway. The early Claremont issues have been Traded, but otherwise, there's nearly 200 issues worth of Claremont's X-Men, and the Essentials are all out of print now.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I believe you are right. Only classic X Men stuff I ever read was Miller's Wolverine mini.

I think you'll dig it, Shawn

I read it. You can call me the "Macho Man", cuz I dig it! Ooooooooh yeeeaaaahhhh.

A very solid intro. I understand what others have said about it barely having the new Thor in it. But I'm going to trust Aaron on this, let him build the tension, then release the Goddess of Thunder in all her glory. I am definitely thinking that the tease of her identity is a red-hearing, it comes off too obvious.

Although I miss the hell out of Ribic, I am growing more fond of Dauterman.

I'll be sticking around for now, see how it starts coming together.

Silver Surfer was gincy fun! again! I want at least one book for fun adventure. That's what Slott & the Allreds do. Norrin realizing, quickly, the frustrations of traveling through space with a mere human was hilarity. But it wasn't just for kicks, it served a purpose in bring them to the planet Prime, where there is a #1 of everything. Every facet of society has a #1 perfect being to handle the task, from the police to architects to ice cream to banking. Then Norrin and Dawn meet the one guy who gets a bit carried away: Warrior One! And of course he wants to fight the outsiders. Toomie (SS's board. get it?) is like a silent companion. Again, this is basically Doctor Who in the MU and that is alright with me.

Guardians of the Galaxy was okay. I have to agree with Christian on this; not enough for a long-time reader and not enough to hook a new person. I know who all the characters are and that's fine. But for a new person, you wouldn't learn much about any of them except Charlie-27. I'd almost have preferred a sort of soft-ball, bring the crew together, intro, like is often done with a team book. I do like the mystery that's being laid out, along with the world building, but it's done at the expense of the characters.

Also, I am so very much not a fan of the art by Sandoval. It's too cartoony and reminds too much of bad 90s art. I'll give it an issue or two more, out of respect for Abnett and the characters.

• Upvote 1

Moon Knight # 8 - Okay, Wood & (Small)Wood, you were clever this month, doing some neat little story telling tricks via P.O.V. on cameras and such. Don't do it again. Smallwood don't be afraid to really explore the space of the page. I felt like since he took up half the page area, I only got half the story. Which, in fairness, isn't true. It was a nice, hostage thriller, hero infiltrates, sort of story. Yet, we are very much an outsider looking in on all of this. It was neat seeing MK go through his "phases", based on need, during the issue. I LOVE the idea of his scarab drones!! This is all build up for something. I really hope it pays off. After two issues with Wood Squared I shouldn't feel on the fence about it all. Both issues come just so close to something awesome, then it pulls back or drifts off, like a shadow in the moon light.

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier - That was...interesting. I'm not entirely sure what this is, in a good way. I shall try to 'splain. This is like a Torchwood to Silver Surfer's Doctor Who. Barnes is out there doing all the dirty work, black ops stuff again, but this time on a intergalactic and cosmic scale. Also, it's a bit like a Marvel-ized version of Fraction's Casanova. Or it's trying to be. Kot does super-wacky-spy stories just fine. We get some intros to where Bucky is, who's helping him, his agenda, etc. Then it all wraps with a neat twist. The art by Rudy is stickler for me. He does some beautiful pages, but proper panel layouts are so not his thing. Which is a blessing and a curse. He's trying to be Marve's JHW3, which is fine. But his characters come off too vague and muddied by the colors. I shouldn't have to guess who is talking. There's some strong potential here IF Rudy can tighten it up a bit. Maybe. Either way, it's worth a look, since there aren't any Marvel books like it.

It spins off the ending of Original Sin. It was revealed that Nick Fury had secretly taken on that job, withholding the reality of those types of threat to Earth, and doing whatever it took to save the Earth, without any oversights.

I don't know that anyone has any intentions to read Original Sin at this point, but withholding spoilers, we'll just say that Nick Fury cannot do that job any more.

Bucky Barnes has taken on that role for Nick Fury.

I passed on the book, because I've never been a fan of the whole Winter Soldier thing, and Original Sin was very disappointing.

I will admit that with a name like Bucky Barnes, I sort of want to see a retro-futuristic series starring him that rips off the Rocky Jones serials. The names are similar.

• Upvote 1

... it's a bit like a Marvel-ized version of Fraction's Casanova. Or it's trying to be. ...

It was only a matter of time before the industry started mining Casanova.

Axis #1-OK, this is pretty bad. I realize Remender must have fond memories of the early-1990s in comics, and wants to re-do them better, hence his Uncanny X-Force, which turned the X-Force concept in to some thing very positive. On the other hand, Onslaught was not a series looking to be reinvented for a new generation. Those who remember the original Onslaught cross-over know why they hoped to never see Onslaught again.

OK, personally, I don't think Onslaught was a totally horrible idea. The original concept could have gone some where interesting, Marvel just botched the whole thing to horrible lengths.

Remender seems to be taking a page from the original Onslaught stories. Just random stuff happening on the page that doesn't really connect in to a coherent plot. Throw as many heroes as possible in to the story, just because. Have Onslaught spout off rants that don't actually explain the character's motivation.

I will give this book one last chance, because Remender has the talent to turn something awful in to something promising. I thought Uncanny X-Force was a misfire when it first started, but by the end of the first story-arc, he had hooked me, and turned it in to one of Marvel's strongest titles.

I have doubts this is going any where interesting. I'd recommend avoiding it, at all, costs at this point. Well, unless you really miss that Onslaught cross-over from the 1990s and want to revisit it.

I know this is unpopular to say, but Captain Marvel is exactly what I wanted Saga to be. Yeah, I'm one of those few who grew tired with Saga. Not really my thing.

Captain Marvel just seems to get better with each story though. The Flerken....such a great story. It was funny. It was cute. It featured Rocket Raccoon.

Next issue:Lila Cheney:Space Rock Opera. How can you not want to come back for that?

This comic is space opera done right.

Christian, you are so right (about Capt. Mavel) yet so wrong (about Saga). That's alright, there has to be balance. :smile:

I've been on a sort of "hiatus" with Capt. Marvel after the first arc wrapped. It's been good! But I'm getting so damned picky in my old age, I just can't afford, in both money and attention, so many monthly books. I will catch up, either in trades or preferrably discounted digital singles.

It's been getting even better after the first arc, Shawn. I was sort of on the fence about Captain Marvel during the first story-arc also. It was good, but seemed lacking that extra something to push it in to "must buy" territory. It's just kept getting better with each story though, so far.

Yeah...that "push" is what I was looking for. I may break down and get the last two issues. That will give me an idea. Also, I rather love the art by Marcio Takara

shhhhh....Secret Wars is coming back.....shhhhh

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56164

Hickman & Ribic kick off the year long event. There are heroes from multiple universes/time lines and they seem to be facing some sort of universe ending crisis.

I have to admit this sounds rather cool thanks to: Hickman + Ribic + various versions of Marvel heroes + my nostalgia for 1980s Marvel.

This does feed the rumors of Marvel doing it's own reboot of its whole line, ala DC New 52