Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Yep. I don't like the references to Secret Wars, which was crap. I knew it was crap back in the 1980s, and I still know it's total crap. I like the comparisons with DC's original Crisis better.

The time lines are broken, and in seven months, time runs out.

I'm sure that's where Marvel is going. It's where Hickman's been builiding this whole time during his Avengers runs. It's taken over three years to see the pay-off to everything that he started back when Marvel NOW started. There are a lot of hints in all of Marvel's books that the constant time traveling done by Marvel heroes has messed up the time-stream to an extent that it's irreparable.

Hickman's New Avengers has been about the multiverse colliding, and worlds that will live and worlds that must die.

Bendis' X-Men has outright said that bringing the teenage X-Men to the present has messed up the current Marvel time-line.

I'm sure that all this new Thor, Cap, and Iron Man....death of Wolverine...it's all being done so that Marvel can hit the re-set button with this big event.

I just hope Marvel don't mess this up, like the New 52. I hope this goes the way of the 1980s DC Crisis instead.

• Upvote 1

Add to that Marvel allegedly ending Fantastic Four (again) and having No More Mutants (again) coming before too long. I can't help but wonder if all this change is tied in any way to their movie ventures and especially the problem of various studios. There are many online that have discussed it all to death, but it is worth wondering.

I read that Inhumanity was meant to create an alternative to the X-Men for the movie franchises, since X-Men movies are being run by a seperate studio. The idea was that Inhumans would be just like mutants in the Marvel Universe now, and then Marvel movies could introduce the Inhumans in to the movies as a new fill-in for mutants.

If so, that failed very, very badly. No one cares about the Inhumans comic book, and the Inhumanity cross-over was messed up from the start, and went nowhere. There are still terrigen cocoons popping up every so often in the Marvel books though, so I guess they're still trying to add Inhumans to the comics alongside mutants.

Yeah! When they were pushing that whole build up, I was like "okay. I love the Inhumans! Bring it! Let's see them get the push they deserve. Maybe they can be a franchise of some sort." Then....well.....Kamal Khan (aka Ms. Marvel) sort of spun off it and she's awesome! But it does seem like they are trying to right the ship a bit now that Soule is Marvel exclusive. So, maybe.

There will be a new "Ant-Man" ongoing series will debut in January 2015, from Nick Spencer and artist Ramon Rosanas.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56241

I am willing to check it out. The character (but I like Hank Pym when done well) has never been a huge fave but I like Nick Spencer.

• Upvote 1

Yet more bitching about the Miracleman fleece-the-fans project: from the listing in Previews for the annual the description of the Grant Morrison story (probably the main selling point for most) as "long lost" makes me wonder if they've just had somebody else finish (script from a pitch synopsis?) the storyline Morrison was developing when Moore left Warrior in a snit. Surely not?

Death of Wolverine-Well, it's finally over. This is about as by-the-numbers as you can get for a comic story. It reads like early-1990s throwaway. It tics the boxes for a comic that's editorially being mandated to appeal to people who have read the classic Wolverine TPBs.

Wolverine goes to Japan, Madripoor, the Weapon X facility....meets up with popular characters from his solo series stories (Kitty)....fights the biggest of his rogues gallery (Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike)....dies. It wasn't even a good death scene, just a death scene. Almost as if the author was tired, the character was tired, and they both just wanted it to end.

Of course, having an eulogy story in a Nightcrawler comic book is a problem, since Nightcrawler has just returned from the grave. It gives the idea that this is all time-wasting and that Wolverine will be back before too long anyway. Yes, we all know that Wolverine will return eventually, but for suspension-of-disbelief, I wouldn't throw it in the face of the reader that this character mourning for Logan is some one that Logan was mourning just a few years back. Plus, mentioning that Logan just died, went to Hell, and came back during the Aaron run is also far from helpful. This isn't the first official "death of Wolverine", even though Marvel expect this one to be a very big deal.

Marvel's not going to let the Wolverine name rest though! They've already planned Death of Wolverine tie-in mini-series to be running well in to 2015, so there will continue to be comics with the Wolverine namebrand not allowing us to forget Wolverine....Logan's Legacy, followed by Weapon X, etc.

Deadpool:The Art of War #1-I couldn't pass this up. It sounded too crazy. A version of the Art of War, starring Deadpool, and being written by Peter David? What the hell.

It's actually terrible. You should expect such from any comic titled "Deadpool".

I would have rather seen Deadpool adapting the Tao Te Ching, myself. I would buy that entire series, even if it was horrible, I promise.

Apparently, Deadpool is going to die in 2015 also. Good riddance. That's a character I never want to see again. I don't understand how this character has gotten to be so popular.

I have no idea what Marvel is going to do if they can't have Wolverine or Deadpool guest-starring in half their line each month.

I wish Marvel would actually retire some of their hot properties who have been so devalued through overuse, and not mention them for a few years, before bringing them back. It's not a bad idea. Marvel's afraid of missing milking some cash from fans for those characters though, so Marvel will keep the "death of Wolverine" a big deal, until the character comes back again. It's devalue the name value of the characters even worse after their "deaths".

Speaking of characters that need a long dirt nap, how about ALL of the X-Men. There's nothing new to be said with them at this point. Yes, it's time for another, more complete Mutant Massarce.

Or shunt them off to alt-timeline or something where there are no superheroes, only mutants. Like the movies. They're at least interesting that way.

Oh, how I wish Marvel had the balls to actually kill off Wolverine (or even for a really long time). Don't worry! They are serving up a Reign of the Wolverines style book thing with X-23 (lady wolverine) + Mystique + Sabertooth + Dakken + Lady Deathstrike and someone else, I don't know. It will be called Wolverines! Yes I'm serious.

Actually, if Marvel did kill off Logan and had X-23 take up the mantle that could be interesting. I wouldn't buy it, but it would be interesting.

• Upvote 1

Over the last few days Marvel has been release teasers, primarily about former big event cross over type stuff from days gone by, to be coming in 2015. Are they all new projects? Retellings? What Ifs? Re-releases? I don't know. There's Secret Wars, Planet Hulk, No More Mutants (which could House of M or Mutant Massacre or Fall of the Mutants), Armor Wars, Civil War, Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies, and Years of Future Past.

Odd. But that's the point of a teaser, to get people talking.

Isn't it supposed to be some big Crisis-style total reboot they've been threatening for years?

It'll be nice if a few characters get completely destroyed or irretrievably fucked up before that happens...

That is the prevailing theory.

I'd be curious to see what they could do with a line wide reboot.

And then Marvel does something kind of cool that I like. Dammit.

Uncanny Avengers will relaunch after Axis, featuring Scarlet Witch, Rogue, Fal-Cap, Quicksilver, Vision, Sabertooth and...wait for it...Brother Voodoo! yes, he's back, baby! And written again by Remender.

So, with Sabertooth on this team, I'm thinking they will be sprinkling the other "Wolverines" (see above) on different teams. That way there can be a Wolverine on every major team and not cause fanboys to lose their shit at the continuity discrepancies. :laugh:

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=56388

How does Remender have time for all of this?!?! He's writing Axis stuff, Captain America, Low, Deadly Class, Uncanny Avengers. I know Axis will end, but all else stays or relaunches like Cap & Uncanny Avengers. Then in the near-ish future he's got Tokyo Ghost and an Avengers OGN "Rage of Ultron" with Opena. That's just off the top of my head. Damn. Of course, I'd rather read his creator owned work for the most part.

Yeah, those teases for those old cross-over titles are probably code-names for alternate Earths in the Marvel Universe, where something or other related to the original cross-overs are the prevailing point of that universe.

The only problem I fear with a reboot is that it's going to ruin Magneto as a character. The idea that Magneto was alive during World War II and saw his family and friends all killed was what made Magneto the best villain in comics. Stripping that away from Magneto, he's just a ranting loony like he was in the Silver Age again. There's no way you can replace that part of Magneto's back-story, nothing else will do, and due to the fact that it's 2015 now, Marvel won't be able to use the Holocaust as the motivation for Magneto's character.

X-Men truly is a dead property at this point in time. Outside of Grant Morrison briefly working on X-Men, there really has not been anything interesting done with the characters since Claremont's original run.

Bendis had to bring the Silver Age X-Men to the present just to try to find something to do with the characters.

Of course, you could argue that a lot of Marvel's characters have gotten incredibly stale. Iron Man is another character who hasn't had anything interesting done with him in years and years. Tony Stark really should never have been able to go back to being a hero after the whole Civil War thing.

DD is a character that I see growing boring again soon. Waid changed the idea of DD always being so dark and depressed, but I bet it won't be long before the Frank Miller rip-off DD is back in the comics.

And, FF are characters that have a lot of potential for new stories, but writers don't seem to care about using the FF where they work best...exploring new worlds....and instead seem to want to make the whole point of the book that they don't get along, break up, and then reunite. Why is that an interesting direction for Fantastic Four? Why can't anyone manage to write an interesting Fantastic Four plot anymore? Future Foundation managed to be fun and creative while it lasted.

And, when was Spider Man last an interesting character? It's been one bad idea after another with the Spider-books since the 1990s.

Outside of Grant Morrison briefly working on X-Men, there really has not been anything interesting done with the characters since Claremont's original run.

And even his run had some stale moments. Oh Magneto's back. Oh Scott and Logan are fighting over Jean. But I do agree with you. That might have been the last time X Men was interesting

Yeah, I agree it was very hit and miss. Quite a bit of it was just Morrison re-doing classic Claremont moments, and some of the original material Morrison used didn't work so well either, but there were a number of high-points during the run. Plus, it was better than anything for about a decade before it or anything after it on X-Men.

And then Marvel does something kind of cool that I like. Dammit.

Uncanny Avengers will relaunch after Axis, featuring and...wait for it...Brother Voodoo! yes, he's back, baby! And written again by Remender.

That's the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 1

I quite liked Morrison's "Oh, Magneto's back" story, to be honest.

The biggest problem with Morrison's run was the end of it, where the future he'd set up was wiped to put the toys back exactly as he'd found them...

As for Magneto and the holocaust, it would definitely mess the character up if they got rid of that. I can just picture bloody Bendis yammering away in some editorial meeting that the character would work just as well if he was a Hutu or a Palestinian instead. Meh.

Once again, Morrison copied Claremont. Claremont ended up putting all his toys back in the box when he left X-Men too.

I really wish Claremont would have stuck around until at least issue #300, like he originally planned. I think it would have helped the X-comics not be stuck in a rut for over 20 years. Even if Claremont's writing had gone downhill towards the end (I blame Jim Lee and heavier editorial influence for a lot of that, honestly. Claremont could still write a pretty good story, it was that Lee was getting more power to help plot and editors were mandating more cross-overs.), it still would have been a huge improvement over the crap that followed Claremont leaving.

Gateway was going to replace Professor X as the X-Men's mentor. Magneto was never supposed to revert to a villain again. The X-Men weren't going to return to the mansion. The original X-Men (called X-Factor at the time) weren't going to go back to being X-Men again.

It would've been a lot harder to just hit the reset button and have X-Men stories retelling the same plots over and over again had Claremont left with such drastic changes to the status quo still in place, rather than just leaving everything back the way it was when Claremont took over Uncanny X-Men.

That would have been better: I always liked Gateway as a character.

Has anything further been done with Morrison's new characters? I know that the fascist idiot Xaviers drop out is still lingering about like a fart in a lift, but what about the Beak? Barnell was a great character, and he seems to have vanished now...

I sort of lost track with a number of them, including Beak. I'm not sure if anyone used him or not. It says on Wikipedia he joined the Exiles, who are a team from alternate Marvel Earths who travel to "What If?" universes, trying to fix moments where that Earth's history went wrong. I enjoyed the series when it was written by Tony Bedard, but it's not a very prominent usage of Beak.

They started doing some things with Xorn...I forget the details now. I'm not sure if the writers who messed that up actually read Morrison's run.

Stepford Cuckoos have been used alongside of Emma Frost. They haven't been used too badly, but some times just fade in to the background, rather than being used properly. I think there's more to be done with them.

Quentin Quire has been used prominently from time to time. I think Quire got used better after Morrison.

John Sublime actually returned in the pages of Brian Wood's run on X-Men. It was revealed he had a sister who behaved in the same way as Sublime, except using electronics, rather than biologics. I don't believe Sublime should have ever been brought back.

There was the Wolverine and the X-Men comic, which featured the Jean Grey School, with a lot of the rest of Morrison's annoying student cast (not including Beak). Jason Aaron wrote the first half of the series, so it had some good moments using some of those characters, but introduced more new students as well.

Even Cassandra Nova has popped up again from time to time. Once again, not to good use.

Fantomex has been a member of X-Force. The Rick Remender run of Uncanny X-Force is an instant classic. I liked seeing Fantomex being used in that series.

So, it's been hit and miss for most of the characters.

Speaking of characters that need a long dirt nap, how about ALL of the X-Men. There's nothing new to be said with them at this point. ...

Welcome to comics! :) Marvel and DC should switch to publishing reprint books. It'd be a more efficient way to arrive at the same result.

... Deadpool:The Art of War #1-I couldn't pass this up. It sounded too crazy. A version of the Art of War, starring Deadpool, and being written by Peter David? What the hell.

It's actually terrible. You should expect such from any comic titled "Deadpool".

I would have rather seen Deadpool adapting the Tao Te Ching, myself. I would buy that entire series, even if it was horrible, I promise. ...

Am I the only person who thinks the actual Art Of War might be a bit overrated?