Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

To be fair, it could be duller still: they could have Deadpool explaining Confuscius' Analects...

Capt. Marvel #9 was a treat. Lilla Cheney! The teleporting mutant intergalactic rock star lands herself in a jam and ask Carol for help. There's an goofy sitcom styled wedding plot. Then funny shenanigans begin. By the way, this all takes place on a world where the populace only speak in rhyme. It is glorious! And there's amazing art by Lopez. It's a nice done in one story.

Silver Surfer was also a nice done in one story. It's not the best issue so far. It's sort of like one of those flashback/clip shows but really good! We get to see the adventures between the adventures. I like the explaination as to why Dawn always wears clothing with dots. And the Allreds kill as usual.

The All-New Capt. America was alright. I like Sam Wilson. I like good superhero action. I like Capt. America. But all three elements didn't quite gel for me. It is a good fun action book, giving a little insight into Sam. If that's for you that's fine. But it was too light for $3.99.

Also, I glanced at other books featuring Sam-Cap and he is a acting like a major jackass. Like a huge turn-off why am I reading this crap sort of way. I'm sure there's a reasons based on the current event but I don't care.

Thor #2 was my jam! The Goddess of Thunder is here! This change in the status quo, for whatever reason, feels more legitimate to me, there's more weight behind it. Like they might actually keep this lady (whoever she is. there are some clue here) as Thor. There's just the right balance of fresh new green hero to old tested veteran hero being put out and it really helps. There's also enough mystery with the new Thor's identity and how this is all working, to keep my invested. She proves right away, regardless of who Thor is, you do not mess that person. If you do, you'll get a mighty hammer upside your head and lightning shot up your ass. I really want to see where this all goes.

Also, there's a nice cliffhanger at the end.

Really liked Thor #2. Didn't quite care for the dual dialogue as much but the art was fantastic, it's classic Aaron, great cliffhanger, oh and Frost Giants from under the sea laying siege to Roxxon.

Thor is Jane Foster, calling it now.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was that new SHIELD agent that Aaron introduced...the one who cares about the environment and hates Roxxon. I forget her name. I don't think we saw her since the relaunch, and I got a hint in #2 that it was going to be her, but I've forgotten why I thought that now. I would rather it be Jane Foster though. A character with actual history, rather than someone that Aaron created and liked, who was around for one story-arc.

I really hate this Axis mini-series. It's so awful. It's hard to believe it's Rick Remender writing this. It's about at Howard Mackie levels of horrible.

I hate that Marvel reverted to the old cross-over model too. SInce Marvel NOW, big cross-overs have been mainly self-contained. If you want to skip the big event, you can just keep reading the comics you usually read without worrying about it. With Axis, most of the Marvel books are being tied directly in to the mini-series.

Although, some books are not. Which creates horrible continuity for those reading the mini-series, as opposed to those skipping it.

So, for example, you can read Avengers or All-New Captain America or Thor like usual, without worrying about Axis. But, if you're reading Axis, you get two versions of Sam Wilson as Cap and the old Thor still being Thor in Axis, as opposed to the all-new Thor in Thor.

The worst part of Axis? It's destroyed any chance of any one caring about Sam Wilson as the new Captain America. Now, I don't care about Sam Wilson as Captain America, really. But, from a creative perspective, they've botched the debut of a new Captain America so badly.

If you read All-New Captain America, Sam Wilson is a inept clutz who doesn't know how to be Captain America. Sam Wilson has been a superhero for a number of years now, he shouldn't be treated as a rookie. I don't want to see a story about a guy who can't cut it trying to learn to be Captain America either. I don't think that's the best direction to go in.

But, it gets worse...because if you read the Axis books with Sam Wilson as Cap...you'll get the debut of the All-New Captain America with his portrayed as either a dictator or corrupt.

Due to the events of Axis, in the Axis title, the new Captain America is acting like a dictator.

Due to the events of Axis, in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #1, the new Captain America is portrayed as corrupt, wanting to serve the interests of big business, rather than the common man.

Now, Mighy Avengers (written by Ewing) is still a pretty good book, even after the relaunch.

But, having your all-new Cap shown in these negative ways at his launch is going to kill any interest there might have been in the character.

On the other hand, Superior Iron Man is a pretty decent take on Tony Stark. It also spins out of the pages of Axis, but at least with Iron Man, the change caused by the events of Axis as shown in the Superior Iron Man comic, are believable. I don't mind a totally ego-driven Tony Stark who only cares about profits, regardless of the ethics. It's not as if Iron Man wasn't shown that way in the past anyway.

I also picked up Angela #1, because it's written by Kieron Gillen. It's not a bad read, but Angela just isn't an interesting character. Gillen hinting that he's going to follow up on events from his Journey into Mystery run make this tempting to read, but why does it have to star Angela?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you're right, CC. It's Roz, I reckon.

[edit] Fuck all that Axis noise. Sounds terrible.

Thor continues to be excellent.

It was great from start to finish. Damn, she can whoop ass with the best of them. I love the whole taunt at the Frost Giants: you need to fight better or I'll die of boredom. Awesome smack talk. And did she slap a Giant with his another's hand?!?!? VERILY!

She did she did. And if memory calls I think she beat some ass with a jawbone too. Art is fantastic on this. Loved Malekith walking on the dinner table, arm draped on him like a stole

• Upvote 1

Ant Man #1-I loved this!

Sure, it's not Hank Pym, but once you get over this, you realize this is a really great character-driven story.

It actually made me care about Scott Lang. Something I've never done, not even really in FF. I've read most every important Lang appearance too, just by chance, even the first appearance of Scott Lang...back in a Marvel Premiere story written by David Michiline (or however he spells his name).

It cost $4.99, which is too much, but Spencer put a lot of plotting in to this one issue, so it felt like yo got quality.

Lang is a down-on-his luck loser, who can't help but screw up in his life...but he truly cares about his daughter, and doesn't want to fail her.

If it keeps up this quality, this will be a real winner for Marvel. It's not a typical superhero-type series. There was only one brief action scene in the book.

Grade: A

SHIELD #1-This was just ok. I'll give it another chance, because it's Mark Waid. It reminded me of some other book, not from Marvel, but I can't think of what. The plot wasn't that great, but there were hints of the story getting better.

I like the character of Phil Coulson. He's like me, a huge Marvel nerd, who knows all of Marvel's history (or continuity to us non-Earth-616 inhabitants).

Waid really should have introduced some of the other characters, outside Coulson and Hill. As a huge Marvel nerd who knows most of Marvel's continuity, I had trouble figuring out who other characters were meant to be. A quick introduction page would have helped. Maybe if you watched the TV show? But, this is set in the Marvel Universe, so it needs to be a first issue, not a TV tie-in.

More Marvel reviews will follow.

Wolverines #1-Wow, that was really bad. Like, really, really bad. Just everything about it was bad.

Following up on the events of Axis, where Sabretooth had become heroic, would have been a good hook for this book, but that's not even touched on in this issues. So, what's the point?

I don't mind Lady Deathstrike or Mystique either, but neither makes a compelling protagonist.

Daken and X-23...oh lord, why won't they just go away? Bad ideas.

I'm guessing this follows over from those "Death of Wolverine" event books, as there's random characters I don't know running around the plot, not being introduced. Not a good way to start a new series, nevermind a weekly one.

And, worst of all, they're already setting up for how Wolverine is going to be revived. In the Death of Wolverine mini-series, it was made that Logan couldn't just be cloned, so that out for when they brought him back was gone. Now, they've just waved that away.

Soule is really hurting his reputation with these work-for-hire jobs he keeps taking.

I thought Ray Fawkes was originally meant to debut for Marvel writing this? Good idea for him to bail. The hit he took for writing Constantine was bad enough, he's just starting to recover. He didn't need a series that shouldn't exist to hurt him.

Grade: F

Books like this should not see the light of day. Just let the Wolverine property lie until it's time for his return.

I'm with Christian on Ant-Man. That was a quality story that's been long overdue for that character. I say give him some time in the spot light. Spencer does a great job of pulling the reader and gentley making you care about Scott Lang and his world. Although, I already did from his time on the Avengers and the FF. This is him sort of getting the "Hawkeye treatment", in that it's a chance for character to shine rather than overblown spectacle. And the art is rather good, in a sort of Chris Samnee sort of way. However! the only reason I won't be buying this monthly is due to my budget.

So...the Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl. Oh my. It was not terrible, at all. It is exactly what it sets out to do: be a silly fun comic about a D-list character. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's somewhat more in the area of Deadpool sort of humor books. Think of a cartoon on the Disney Channel. It's an alright book that's cute and charming at times, but it's not for me. I'm sure there's an audience for it, I'm just not in it. Teenage girls (or even boys) would like this. I had the same problem with the recent Batgirl redux.

Marvel will kill off Deadpool in April.

http://comicbook.com...th-of-deadpool/

:laugh: okay, Marvel. Whatever.

With all the characters Marvel is killing off it's wonder how they stay in business. Maybe that's why they are giving books Squirrel-Girl, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, Ant-Man etc. They have NO ONE LEFT!!!!!! hahahaha

It would be awesome if Marvel eliminated all of their A-list characters, and had a line-up totally filled by those sort of characters. You'd have to give Marvel a lot of credit for being that brave. For so long, Marvel has been dogged by complaints that they only care about the characters who have been published since the dawn of Marvel, and when they do something creative with one of their lesser characters, it gets canceled fairly quickly, and filled in with another Avengers of X-Men comic. It'd be crazy if that was what Marvel looked like under Disney.

The only rationale I could see for that is that Disney wants Marvel to pursue a lot more film lines, and needs Marvel to really push these minor characters, so they can get movie deals too.

Characters like Wolverine and Deadpool should go away. Yes, they're popular, but they no longer mean anything to Marvel as far as sales. They sell decently, sure, but there was a time when Wolverine showing up as a guest-star in another comic meant lots more sales for that book. Now, no one cares, because Wolverine had been showing up in half of Marvel's books on a monthly basis for years. So, Marvel couldn't create instant new sales by promoting a Wolverine guest appearance any more.

Other Marvel books of note this week:

Winter Soldier and....believe it or not....Angela...have been good so far.

Winter Soldier has some of the most amazing artwork in mainstream comics today.

OK, so I admit I was wrong about Angela. Gillen has found a way to make her work...somewhat. Credit to the genius of Gillen. Gillen is crafting a world around the Angela, so she's not just "that character from Spawn" anymore.

Operation Sin is pretty fun. It's a flashback comic, taking place at the beginning of the Cold War, featuring Agent Carter and Howard Stark, and lots of hidden weird things that happened on Marvel Earth at the time, that have been hidden from the public. It's sort of like a Mignola-type book.

G. Willow Wilson takes over X-Men this month from Brian Wood. I wasn't impressed by the first issue though. Not a lot happens though, so there's room for improvement. We shall see.

That was my week in comics.

Deadpool this month was pretty funny. I can't believe I'm typing that. Well, I'm a tree-hugging hippie, so...

Deadpool shows us all the wonders of fracking on behalf of the Roxxon Corporation.

"It's a well known fact that fracking doesn't work in places where rich people live." Hilarious!

Believe it or not, I've heard people actually say that windmills are bad for the environment because they kill birds. Someone was saying they heard environmentalists say that, I asked, "What environmentalists?". It's on the internet at supposed environmental lobby web-sites...that are paid for by big oil! People are that stupid. I said, "Yeah, maybe a few birds die, but probably far less than die from flying in smog."

Star Wars #1-Yeah, I had fun reading comics at the store today! This is exactly what you expect...generic Star Wars story. Brian Wood wrote a generic SW book. Aaron is writing a generic SW book. They should really get droids to churn these things out.

The Gillen Vader series preview looked better though.

Marvel claims they sold one million copies of Star Wars #1. That's so sad.

If you looking for a classic Star Wars comic with all the main cast, then the new Marvel book by Aaron and Cassaday is for YOU! It's all done really well, giving me all I would want from a Star Wars comic. There are even a few surprises, well...as much as there can be, since we know how the story ends. Or maybe Disney/Marvel will be bold enough to let this have it's own continuity. Why not? It works for the superhero lot. The question is, do I really need a Star Wars comic? Probably not. However, should they be bold and take this into uncharted terriority....I might keep getting it.

Well said Shawn. While it was pretty well done you nailed it with the "do I really need a Star Wars comic?" Question

And I am not sure that I do

I like your idea of a separate continuity for the comics. One of my problems with the old EU was the shared continuity between all media. It got so unwieldy after a while, let the comics exist in its own continuity, a separate one for the books all with the films as their shared spine.

As far as the comic goes i enjoyed it, but I'm not sure i enjoyed 5 dollars worth.