Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

I liked the original Marvel Star Wars comics. They weren't really compatible with the movies, but they sure were cool. I mean, Carmine Infantino.

... Deadpool shows us all the wonders of fracking on behalf of the Roxxon Corporation.

"It's a well known fact that fracking doesn't work in places where rich people live." ...

:hattip:

i really liked that about the eu.

I realize my opinion is in the minority, but i didn't like having to read comics and books and video games to take in "the whole story".

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the Star Wars comic is well written...but, it's just the tiresome nature of Star Wars at this point that makes them all read so generic. There is an energy to this Marvel book that was missing with Brian Wood's Star Wars series, where you felt like Wood didn't really want to write a Star Wars comic.

Shawn's idea is the best one. If they could create their own continuity outside of the movies, that would be a way that Star Wars could be interesting again. But, I'm not sure what you do with SW...Do you let the Nazis win? That doesn't sound like a good idea! The only other option is to keep the rebellion going for years and years. That isn't all that interesting either, because it's the same types of stories just stretched out.

I agree with Jason that the original Star Wars comics were the most fun. They didn't worry about continuity, because Marvel didn't know where the Star Wars trilogy was going after the first film. Empire Strikes Back came along, and messed up a lot of continuity from the first 50 issues of the Star Wars comic, but they just kept going. Then, Return of the Jedi came along and messed up most of the continuity of the first 75 issues. And, by that point, the Marvel comics had really gone downhill anyway, so it didn't matter anymore. But, those were a really fun Star Wars comic (for the first 50-75 issues), because the concept of Star Wars still felt fresh.

I'd recommend reaidng those first 50 issues of Marvel's Star Wars though, if you have not, if you really want to read a Star Wars comic book.

Also, John Ostrander's run on Star Wars: Republic from back when Attack of the Clones was released was worth reading, as Ostrander basically just made the comic in to a running commentary about where America was moving during the W. Bush years by putting it in a sci-fi setting. It was based in SW continuity, but you could almost imagine that this was some analogue Ostrander had created to critique the American government, rather than a tie-in to a movie franchise.

After all the movies, cartoons, comics, and novels (most of which had any creativity smothered by tight continuity) Star Wars just feels totally burned out. I'm not sure how you can possibly make the core concept interesting again.

... John Ostrander's run on Star Wars: Republic from back when Attack of the Clones was released was worth reading, as Ostrander basically just made the comic in to a running commentary about where America was moving during the W. Bush years by putting it in a sci-fi setting. It was based in SW continuity, but you could almost imagine that this was some analogue Ostrander had created to critique the American government, rather than a tie-in to a movie franchise. ...

Sold. Thanks for the heads-up!

If you looking for a classic Star Wars comic with all the main cast, then the new Marvel book by Aaron and Cassaday is for YOU! It's all done really well, giving me all I would want from a Star Wars comic. There are even a few surprises, well...as much as there can be, since we know how the story ends. Or maybe Disney/Marvel will be bold enough to let this have it's own continuity. Why not? It works for the superhero lot. The question is, do I really need a Star Wars comic? Probably not. However, should they be bold and take this into uncharted terriority....I might keep getting it.
Well said Shawn. While it was pretty well done you nailed it with the "do I really need a Star Wars comic?" Question

Yeah, what you muhfuhs said. I dunno whether to buy issue 2 or not, but all three of us read issue 1 and all we felt was "well done". :shrug: Whatevs. Maybe giving it a second chance would be the decent thing.

Good characterisation of Han and Luke. Previous Star Wars comics tended to make the characters more generic hero types, but you can imagine Harrison Ford delivering Han's lines in Jason Aaron's version, and [ Spoiler : complicating things by wandering off and freeing all the prisoners ] was a Kid Luke thing. (Almost a steal from the movie.)

Making Chewbacca a [ Spoiler : sniper ] felt off to me, like it was something that didn't belong in 1978 Star Wars, but it does kinda fit his practical character. As for sending Princess Leia on [ Spoiler : a commando mission ] right after A New Hope, I didn't buy that for a second.

I remember that figure. Now that you mention it, he did sort of snipe the probe droid in The Empire Strikes Back.

Really dunno what to make of the 2015 Star Wars comic. Once again Han's dialogue rings true, and it's a rip-roaring adventure. But the story seems to have been cut and pasted from elements from the first three movies (and Splinter of the Mind's Eye if we're being picky). In hindsight, a few bits of issue 1 seem derivative, too. Vader's dialogue feels too wordy in issue 2, which is a shame because he's supposed to be an iconic character.

I guess I'm on board for issue 3.

Two double posts! Yay!

Edited by JasonT

I'm done with this Star Wars comic.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure lines of dialogue in Empire Strikes Back are really redundant if scenes in Star Wars #2 took place.

Darth Vader was far too wordy. The reason he was an intimidating presence in the movies is because he rarely talked. It made him akin to a monster or a machine. Having him rambling on, like just another character takes away from his menace. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Aaron turn this into a comedy.

It does seem eerily reminiscent of Splinter of the Mind's Eye too, yeah. I guess that book has been stricken from continuity by Lucas, but that doesn't mean that the book no longer exists.

Ant Man #2-On the other hand, this title is still good. I could have done without the obligatory action scene in the middle of the book, which was pretty far-fetched in a book that seems to be about the ordinary life of a failure of a superhero. The scenes with the Grizzly were pure gold though. I'll keep reading.

Also, Squirrel Girl is pretty cute. I missed #1, because my comic store's owner advised me not to read it...and peer pressure! But, I fought the man and bought #2, and it's what you'd want to see in a book called Squirrel Girl. The character is now entering college, and dealing with just-out-of-teenager type social situations in her personal life. Meanwhile, Galactus is on his way...but it's being covered up. Except, squirrels find it easy to break in to observatories and use telescopes quite often, and they know the awful truth. So, of course, squirrels realize that only Squirrel Girl can save the world.

Yes, I love the use of squirrels.

Surprisingly, it has a lot of dialogue. I expected the book would be geared towards younger readers, so it'd have less dialogue than the usual monthly Marvel comic, but no, it's quite wordy. You get your money's worth. It's not a kiddie comic. I would say it would appeal to teenage females, but it's not just for younger audiences or just for women. It's one of those titles that can appeal to a different age range, like comic books used to be, which is neat (except think more sit-com).

Next month's cover shows an homage to Edgar Rice Burroughs too, so I'll be back for next month now.

-Not only Jason can double-post!

thats it, as soon as i can get my hands on a squirrel girl comic, i will by the shit out of it. i payed money for a charles soule swamp thing tpb, i mean this can't be worse.

... Darth Vader was far too wordy. The reason he was an intimidating presence in the movies is because he rarely talked. ...

Also because he was a murderous telekinetic giant in a suit of black armour. :tongue:

... It made him akin to a monster or a machine. Having him rambling on, like just another character takes away from his menace. ...

Seriously though, thanks for elaborating on that. When I singled out Vader's dialogue for criticism, I was kinda worried that it'd read like a trivial nitpick. I'm grateful for the vindication! :hattip:

Edited by JasonT

Darth Vader #1-Somehow this had more problems than Aaron's Star Wars, yet less problems than Aaron's Star Wars, at the same time. It doesn't read as authentic as Aason is making his Star Wars. It reminds me more of one of the Dark Horse Star Wars series. There were elements to the story I liked, and others I did not like. Somehow, I'm not even as interested in checking out issue #2 of this book as I was interested in Star Wars #2. Now, I'm not interested in any more Star Wars books.

Thor this month was excellent! Easy pick of the week for me. I was hesitant about the new direction for Thor. It was still good, but I thought it had lost something from Aaron's first book. This issue, Aaron hit all the right spots, and is back to form.

The comic was really funny. I found myself chuckling quite a bit at all the humour throughout. Humour I enjoy, more restrained, not something so obvious like a Deadpool comic (which just ends up dumb).

The fill-in art looked better than the usual art too, not that the usual art was bad.

yesterday i held monn knight by warren ellis in my hand as a tpb. how good is it? i really like warrens work, but after i bought neonomicon i never go on a by name basis only again...

meaning: to buy or not to buy, that is the question?

I thougt it was only ok, that there were some good ideas there that Ellis failed to capitalize on. Great art. I think there's a story that he just ended before it was really over and that sort of turned me off.

I quite liked Ellis on Moon Knight, quick done in one stories that are all about the visuals and his "big idea" of the month. Brian Wood's follow-up arc has been good too.

I quit after issue 2 which was a drastic disappointment after a very good first issue.

You could probably read the entire thing in the store if you had an extra three minutes to spare. There was very little content to each issue, and the book seemed to keep going downhill issue by issue. #1 had real promise. #2 was ok. By the end, I didn't want to read it anymore...what little there was to read anyway.

hmm ok. it was just at the train station and looked what they had in store there. going on a trip sunday and i like to pick up stuff there normally, but the selection was really bad. even for their standards it was shite. twas the only book that caught me attention, cause you know warren.

there was also a stieg larrson adaption (and i think it had mike careys name on it??). which i don't get because... why not read the fucking book?? i heard the guy wrote in good style.

anyway if i am early on sunday i will propably follow your advice.

All New Hawkeye #1-Could this be better than Fraction's take? Perhaps yes and no. Although, this is only the first issue. The flashback scenes (with beautiful art!) made me like this book far better than what I saw from the earlier series. The present day scenes didn't strike me as much, but they could grow on me. The flashback portion of the story was just beautiful comic book work.

Spider Woman #5-After a bunch of cross-over issues, the brand new Spider Woman series finally gets a proper first issue, here, five months after the launch. Bad. The book seems to be enjoyable, it's treading in the same water as current-day Daredevil and the recently dead She Hulk book. Artwork very similar to DD. The premise is that Spider Woman is a private investigator, rather than a superhero, a hook her original comic series had at particular times, but only used every so often, back in the late-'70s and 1980s. I thought it was too similar at first, but the book grew on me by the end...Maybe because I like the Porcupine Man. The relatives of super-villains are disappearing. Are they running away from being in a relationship with a dangerous criminal, or being kidnapped?

Howard the Duck #1- Well, not exactly what I wanted to see. Not bad. It was enjoyable. I liked some parts. But, this is more of another cute Marvel book, akin to a Rocket Raccoon and like that. I'd have rather seen something different. I like those books, but we already have a few. This could have been something different...not that Howard will ever be the same without Steve Gerber. I'll keep reading it, and I like the Collector, but this isn't one of my favourite Marvel books, and I was hoping it would stand out.

I really liked Howard #1. There were some great lines and cheeky moments. If this incarnation of Howard takes the piss out of comics rather than wider culture, that's good enough for me. Definitely on board for the next issue.