Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Is it worth mentioning that the first few issues of Gerber's run stuck to taking the piss out of contemporary comics? It took a good six issues before he started spreading his net any wider, iirc.

Not really. Pro Rata the financial wizard was the villain in the first issue.

The third issue was just a critique of the whole "kung-fu craze" in general, sweeping America at the time. It wasn't solely about Iron Fist or Master of Kung Fu.

The second issue was the one with the Turnip from space though, which was about comic books. That was a hilarious comic.

Jason-I didn't really see much "piss taking" of conventional comics in this first issue. A lot of it seemed to stick to the cutesy Marvel comics formula they've been using in other books lately. The biggest out of nowhere moment mocking comics was at the end when Spider Man got taken down....it was pretty funny, but was really surreal.

Not really. Pro Rata the financial wizard was the villain in the first issue.

Yes, and he was financial wizard in a magic tower who drafts Howard to replace the barbarian swordsman he's accidentally killed to retrieve a Tolkein rip-off fantasy novel style plot token. I'm sorry, but even with the jokes about finance in there, Howard the Duck #1 was a send up of Conan comics and their imitators first and a satire of anything else as a fairly remote second.

Fair point about the martial arts craze thing, though. Maybe it was more general media trends than just comics ones, then?

Once again, though, I realize there was a parody of sword and sorcery fantasy in there, but it wasn't just an attack on Conan comic books. It was just a satire of the sub-genre, in general. As you said, more of media trends than just comic books.

And, you said that he didn't bring in social satire until later, but there is the Pro Rata stuff in the very first issue. It may not have been the main thrust of the parody, but Gerber was already critiquing wider trends in society within that first story.

Huh. There's a new writer on Moon Knight (Cullen Bunn*). They really should announce these things. OK, I realize that it says "Bunn" and not "Wood" right on the cover, but when you have a book on your pull list, you don't always check. The writing has gone downhill since Ellis and Wood (well, what little writing there was during the Ellis run), but the plots are still ok. It's gone back to the type of stories that Ellis was telling on the book, rather than where Wood took the book. So, it's pretty much par for the course for this Moon Knight series.

*Cullen Bunn really impressed me on the Magneto on-going series. Otherwise? Not so much.

Amazing Spider Man #16.1-Gerry Conway makes his triumphant return to Amazing Spider Man after all these years of JasonT waiting patiently! Was it like Chris Claremont's glorious return to X-Men? No. Conway has surprisingly made his style seem contemporary for a guy who hasn't been working in comic books since the 1990s. Now, it's not great writing, it's pretty pedestrian, but it doesn't feel dated. So, it's not a horrible failure, ala Claremont, nor a great return to form either. It's just sort of there, which is how I feel about the story. It's not all that interesting, but there's nothing to roll your eyes at or make you want to tear up the comic either. So, wonderfully, wonderfully average and mediocre.

Mighty Avengers is still going strong. It has some elements that are right out of Doom Patrol, and is using the plot from a very good quality Warren Ellis Marvel comic book of the past.

Thor-It looks like I was correct about the identity of the female Thor. Sure, Aaron says you have to wait until next month to see the actual reveal, but unless there's a bait and switch, this issue pretty much quelled any doubts.

Al Ewing's Loki basically comes to an end this month (it continues on as part of a Secret Wars cross-over, but for all intents and purposes, Ewing's story ends this month). It was a great success! I doubt any work on Loki can come close to Gillen's Journey into Mystery series, but this was damn close. The ending was absolutely perfect. It had a lot of meta-commentary, and featured the return of original evil Loki and kid Loki, explaining how the current Loki fits in with the changes of the character of Loki.

This is a Marvel book worth your time to pick up and read. Especially if you read and enjoyed Gillen's Journey into Mystery, this is a great continuation and companion series.

Based on what I've seen, Secret Wars might actually be the end of Loki. There's a couple of "Last Days" titles, featuring characters facing the end of Earth-616. Loki, Magneto, and Mighty Avengers are the three books that are going to be featured in "Last Days". I get the sense that these are characters that won't be making it past Secret Wars.

It's been a running joke with Bobby Drake for years now. Is he? Well, Bendis finally decides to make the reveal in this month's All-New X-Men. Spoilers protected.

Guardians of the Galaxy...yeah, I actually read two Brian Bendis books this month. Sigh.

This issue contains the first scene revealing that the Secret Wars is about the sweep over the Marvel Universe. Red skies. Very Crisis like.

Now, copying the DC mini-series from the 1980s might seem lazy to some...but, it brought back those feelings when you read the pre-Crisis DC Comics that hinted that something bad was coming. The skies were red. It rained blood. No one knew what was going on. It had a really creepy feeling...meanwhile, the characters would just about their lives, waiting (unknowingly) for the end.

Squirrel Girl is still really good. You should be reading this book. It's very cute and funny. Squirrel Girl beats Galactus in this issue. How does she do it? You need to read this story, as you don't see a lot of mainstream comics doing this sort of thing anymore. Squirrel Girl actually dares to not take the superhero concept seriously! The scenes with the pet squirrel are gold. Galactus having a heart-felt conversation with a squirrel....Who'd have ever expected this? Funny stuff.

Really dunno what to make of the 2015 Star Wars comic. ... the story seems to have been cut and pasted from elements from the first three movies ...

Hey, that guy was right on the money. :smile: Issue 4 was more of the same cut-and-paste: Darth Vader goes to Jabba's palace (revealed!!!!1! in a double-page spread FFS); Chewie sits on top of the Millennium Falcon welding stuff; and, at the absolute nadir, on Tattooine one of those Greedo things holds a cocky character at gunpoint, only to get shot by a concealed gun under the table. :icon_rolleyes: Fan fiction would be ridiculed for this. I'm out.

Incidentally, my prediction for issue 5 is that Luke goes to Tattooine and gets into a fight in a bar, or with Sandpeople, or both.

Do you think he'll meet some old guy out in the desert who holds answers to some of his questions? That'd be a shocking direction for Star Wars to take!

Do you think he'll meet some old guy out in the desert who holds answers to some of his questions? That'd be a shocking direction for Star Wars to take!

one of those questions would be: is luke into older men?

Avengers #44-"Everything dies". It's finally over.

The final issue of Fantastic Four was a joke. They were treating it like this was really the final issue of FF, like it's not just going to be relaunched eventually after Secret Wars. It's on hiatus, not canceled. With all the rumours, I expected Marvel would actually put out a convincing ending, with hints that the book really wasn't coming back. Instead, we got just a finale to the James Robinson run on the book. Which wasn't very good to start with. This book has ended and been relaunched so many times now, and this was no different.

I enjoyed some of the back matter more than the "finale". Paul Ryan looked bad by picking a 1990s-era Fantastic Four cover as his favourite. Ha!

Silver Surfer got to go out on a high note, with a nicely creative final issue. I'm not sure it completely succeeds on the level of a reading experience, with having to flip the book over, and re-read different parts of the story multiple times, but it was a really convincing way to show a time-loop in narrative form. You can just read it sequentially and grasp the entire plot, as long as you realize what's happening with the upside down and sideways panels. I found it impressive enough.

Secret Avengers went out with a whimper, but Ales Kot has been putting out a fun book. The final story-arc was a running reference to a famous Jorge Luis Borges story. Also, is the Fury really related to Nick Fury? Ha! Those wanting to see a Marvel title doing something different than the usual superhero fare should give this book a chance. Kot is an emerging top writer in the future of comics. This and Winter Soldier have been two Marvel books that have dared to do something different.

The Silver Surfer was brilliant. Why do they keep stopping these excellent books? ARE THEY MAD???

I loved the Giraud/Moebius pun.

When I have an hour, I am going to try and paste the panels onto a huge Moebius strip.

(Maybe I'll just try and read it sequentially by page rather than panel).

That reminds me, I have two spare copies of http://84.fanthoman.com/

http://comicsalliance.com/bulletproof-coffin-disinterred-hine-kane-image-comic-prices/

Secret Wars #1-A real love and hate scenario here.

On the one hand, this story succeeded in making me hate most of the Marvel Universe superheroes. Since they're gone now....was that the intention? If so, kudos. I especially give appreciation to Hickman for going that route, if that was indeed the actual intention. I'm not totally sure it was...so, for the benefit of the doubt, let's say that was Hickman's intention, and he took a brave initiative.

See, the Marvel superheroes are the ones responsible for "time running out". "Everything dies" due to the Marvel superheroes. All the common people, the regular people, the average joes...all sacrificed by the actions of the mighty superheroes. Now, granted, the heroes did not realize they were messing everything in existence up. Yet, at the end of everything, here are some of the superheroes (FF, Black Panther, a few others) trying to save themselves. 99.99% of reality all dies...but these few want to save themselves. Sure, they argue that they are the only ones who can maintain humanity. But, when you look at it closely? They come across as a bunch of elitist assholes that we should really hate! Yeah, you mess everything up...we all die because of your irresponsible actions...and then you get to survive. So selfish and so self-centered. Well, fuck them! It made the ending so we didn't even miss these super-jerks anymore. They're too tainted to exist anymore. Goodbye.

Now, the issue itself was pretty bad. Mostly just random fighting.

The good:

Kingpin's final moments before he died. Nice characterization, even if that was just one page.

The ending. Now, things get more interesting. The random battles seem to be at an end, and we can get started on the story proper now, I do believe.

So, Secret Wars #1 wasn't much to praise, but Secret Wars #2 I am looking forward to.