Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Marvel comics

Age of Apocalypse #1-This ended up in my pull-list pile this week, I have no idea why, and I didn't notice.

It was a pretty good read too. I don't know how they really expect to get an entire ongoing series out of this, but it has an ok premise. It's the "Days of Future Past" story-line inverted. Humans have been hunted to near extinction by mutants. A resistance force is fighting to save the remnants of humanity (made up of interesting character selections based on the "mainstream" Marvel Universe template). It's still the Age of Apocalypse, with Apocalypse the ruler, and it plays up the implications of a world run by Apocalypse very well. He's not a "mutant saviour" like Magneto wanted to be, he's a power-mad eugenicist, so even the majority of mutants don't have it very good in that society, as "survival of the fittest" is the law.

I probably won't be back, but Lapham did a good job of creating a dark, dystopian world playing off of concepts from the original AoA and the recent X-Force story-arc.

I've always been down on the original AoA story-line, but I think that's because (outside of Ellis) the writing was just bad. It read like a corporate big event, without worrying about creating a coherent and believable reality. I don't think the ideas behind the execution were that bad anymore, as there is room to flesh out a decently interesting world.

Once again, Christian speaks the truth. This time it was regarding Defenders #4....Or I as like to call it Doctor Strange #4 (or Strange Tales #4) If the book were like this all the time I'd buy it for as long as it's out. Admittedly, Michael Lark's art was a big reason. He's just a better story teller than Dodson. I've not seen Doctor Strange written so well in a long time. I actually don't really care about the other Defenders, Fraction & Lark did such a good job.

This isn't the best line-up of Defenders. It has some promise though.

Who cares about the new She Hulk?

Namor is actually being written better in Uncanny X-Men.

Iron Fist is ok, but doesn't bring a lot to the team. His comment about how his comic books were affected was a good scene though.

Silver Surfer can be interesting, but Fraction hasn't really used him much yet.

Dr. Strange is the most interesting character in the book.

Red She-Hulk? blah. The Defenders should have Original Hulk. But he has to be in The Avengers. Red Hulk? (I don't like him) he's on the Avengers. She Hulk? She's ...dead? M.I.A.? Skaar? Dark Avengers.

And Iron Fist, in Fraction's defense, is being monopolized by Bendis in New Avengers.

Namor, the sub-mariner does not belong on an X-team. Nuff said. Even if he is written decently.

Maybe Fraction should use some of the other Defenders to open it up a bit. Such as Hellcat, Nighthawk, Black Knight, Valkyrie (doesn't belong on a covert team)....even Ghost Rider.

Isn't Ghost Rider a female now?

Well, there's the problem with this Defenders team. Fraction wanted to go with a classic line-up (plus Iron Fist, who works on a team like Defenders).

Everyone, except Dr. Strange, is being used on the Avengers...Oh, and Red She Hulk, who no one cares about anyway.

So, Dr. Strange is the only character that Fraction can really concentrate on, as Avengers will always take precedence.

Ugh, they need to fix this Avengers mess. Not every Marvel character can be an Avenger, and the Avengers line-up has become so diluted because of this.

Ghost Rider ....a chick? I know only of Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch. :icon_wink:

You are spot on regarding the Avengers. It used to be special to be an Avenger. Now, everyone is an Avenger one way or another. Hopefully, things can get back to the good ol' ways once Bendis leaves the Avengers. I've not care much since Busiek

Yep. I don't read any Avengers books now.

I read Secret Avengers, but dropped it after Ellis. Besides that, the last Avengers title I read was Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers.

But, the last time I really enjoyed and cared about the Avengers was under Busiek.

Still, at least the books must be slightly better than the mid-'90s Avengers.

Isn't Ghost Rider a female now?

That would be Ghost Ride.

Apologies to any forum member who disnae speak Scottish.

I read Secret Avengers, but dropped it after Ellis. Besides that, the last Avengers title I read was Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers.

But, the last time I really enjoyed and cared about the Avengers was under Busiek.

OH how did I forget the Mighty Avengers with Hank Pym, Scientist Supreme?!?! That was rather good.

Mid-90's Avengers...is that with Bob Harras writing? Where they all wore matching jackets? Still, Steve Epting's art was great.

GR's a chick? That happen at the end of Aaron's run? I have it but haven't finished it. I'll check it out but I might see where/how that could happen.

Unfortunately Lou, this is true. Aaron's run was awesome and ended nicely. Marvel could have followed up on it nicely, but chose instead to throw much of it out the window when they started this new series by having Blaze search for a successor to take over the GR curse. In short, read Aaron's run and ignore anything after it.

OH how did I forget the Mighty Avengers with Hank Pym, Scientist Supreme?!?! That was rather good.

Mid-90's Avengers...is that with Bob Harras writing? Where they all wore matching jackets? Still, Steve Epting's art was great.

Yes. That run.

I couldn't name the majority of the people who were Avengers. That's how bad the line-up was.

Well, some of them I knew, but they were unrecognizable...like Janet had turned into an actual wasp woman.

And, that was when the Iron Man on the team was that godawful Teen Tony joke.

My god, that book sucked.

There was even the Crossing cross-over, which Kurt Busiek admitted that he couldn't even understand the plot.

In Avengers:Forever he ret-conned it as Immortus trying to confuse the Avengers by causing non-sensical events to happen.

Where was the editor? Oh, that's right! That's the period in Marvel history when all the editors decided they could write better stories than actual writers, and we got unreadable drivel.

It took bankruptcy to wake Marvel up!

OH YES! It's all coming back.....unfortunately. After that, Heroes Reborn was almost a blessing.

Well, except Captain America. Mark Waid & Ron Garney were doing just fine. The rest of the Avengers line was horrid

My reading of Captain America is very spotty. I don't remember who took over Cap after Heroes Reborn ended.

Actually, Avengers and Iron Man were the only two books that were really helped. But, those books needed to be canceled if they kept up with what was going on pre-Heroes Reborn. They needed to be fixed more than any other books, maybe ever. Busiek was just a god-send.

Fantastic Four ended up pretty much just staying the course, with Claremont eventually being the "big name creator" who took over after Heroes Reborn, and that was plain sad.

It wasn't until a number of years later when Waid showed up that FF got helped.

Thor probably needed to be shook up, but Messner-Loebs was doing pretty good work on Thor, and we just got years and years of Dan Jurgens on Thor after Heroes Reborn. Thor drew the short end of the stick post-Heroes Reborn.

Indeed. The only good part is Mark Texeira.

I wonder if this will kick off a series of one-shots with Marvel characters in space. Just think of the possibilities of Jack Russell (Werewolf by Night) + Moon Knight.....ON THE MOON! OR...The Human Torch in space....ok never mind.

heh...That's really bad. Just the name of Tieri is enough to mark it off.

Actually, we sort of saw all those characters in space already.

Not Werewolf by Night, but the Man Wolf was in space in the 1970s. It was a crazy time, there was lots of drugs going around. Well, he is John Jameson when he's not a Man Wolf.

Moon Knight went with the Secret Avengers to the Moon.

And, yeah, Human Torch in space...done.

How about, Man Thing....IN SPACE!

How about, Son of Satan in the 24th and 1/2 Century! (Yeah, Howard the Duck would be more appropriate, but not as absurd.)

Ghost Rider in space. Would his flaming skull & bike tires go out due to lack of oxygen? Or would stay since it's mystical?

Space Falcon?

Moon Knight as inter-stellar space knight with a base on the moon.

Aunt May ....IN SPACE!*

I should go to bed now

*yes I'm aware of the horrible What-If story with her as herald to Galactus

Shit. Fantastic Four #605 left me teary eyed...and I'm not exactly sure why....

Hickman's run hasn't been clicking with me in quite a few months, but this issue hit me.

Reed Richards and his father travel into the far future...Not even a far future of regression and ruin, but an ultra-advanced Earth of a Asimov or Reynolds.

Somehow, the dystopic future feels more palatable than a future based solely around entropy.

I guess it's just this idea of everything going on, just continuing progress...no end.

There's quite an interesting and unexpected twist with Ben Grimm in this issue.

I'm enjoying the new characterization of Loki in the pages of Thor. There's hints that more may be going on than meets the eye, but for now, it's a fresh look at the relationship between Thor and Loki (in the comics). I especially like the turning of convention on its head with the legend of Loki in this month's .1 issue.

That was a really good issue. I got a bit misty as well.

Could Jeph Loeb please just go away? PLEASE!!! I don't want him anywhere near a comic series. He seems to be all over the place at Marvel. I don't want any Cable or a Wolverine/Sabertooth follow up with Bianci or him writing a Richard Rider-lite Nova...nothing

Yeah, he should go away, but he's easy enough to ignore.

Even Marvel is ignoring him now, I think. He was supposed to re-introduce Sabretooth in that mini-series, but Aaron chose to use Sabretooth during his run on Wolverine, and now I've heard that the mini-series is on hiatus.

I'm surprised DC hasn't reached out to him to write a bunch of their books, since he's a washed up 1990s has-been.

But, giving cosmic characters over to Loeb is just odd. He doesn't have a background writing space stories (his most famous work is on Batman), and it's a shame to ruin all of Giffen and Abnett's hard work bringing these characters back by letting Loeb work his "I don't care, I write junk, but people still buy it!" magic.

Battle Scars is an achievement in integrating the Marvel movies into the mainstream Marvel comics line in a manner most clumsy and groan inducing.