JohnMcMahon

DC : The Dark

Yeah. They've got a UN charter now, and it looks like there is at least one "elder god" on each continent so they've got their hands full.

I was pretty sure that BPRD had moved in that direction. I stopped reading the book at that point. There was no purpose to it anymore, for my interest. It's sort of got itself boxed in now with the huge "end of the world" scenarios, and I like my occult horror stories to be based in mystery, involving a few individuals facing something outside the realm of the normal. Once the horror becomes the "normal" (involving the whole world and the military and all of that), I lose interest.

Of course this opinion doesn't consider typical "monster stories", like Godzilla. BPRD didn't start off as that though.

Now, Frankenstein taking place on a planet of monsters is a totally different subject to consider, and I think it's a cool idea.

While the threat in BPRD is global, the stories have focused on the local. Whether it's Abe in the Canadian wilderness investigating a town that has disappeared or an arc that focused on a group of survivors of this new status quo who ride the rails and dodge these new monsters by following a psychic girl. It's the logical progression of the world that the BPRD & Hellboy inhabit, especially once they Mignola made the decision to go this direction with what happened in the latest Hellboy book. It's different from what it started out as, but at least it got there somewhat logically.

Frankenstein is a different beast, true, but i still think the concepts are meant to be similar.

I, Vampire #3 was a little too Blade Trinity for me - "Oh, and here're the team of vampire hunters!" - but I'm still in.

Yeah, I've got a copy of I, Vampire. Not sure what number it is, though. Not great, but it's not the worst I've read.

I've just finished the third essentials volume of the Tomb of Dracula, which was breathtakingly brilliant. Fantastic stuff. (Yes, I know this is a DC thread, but I had to add that) :boogie::smile:

I think the one you have is one of the '80s Showcase (or whatever anthology it was) issues, not the relaunch ones.

I think the one you have is one of the '80s Showcase (or whatever anthology it was) issues, not the relaunch ones.

Right. Yep, it's an old one. It might be interesting to see if the relaunch one is any good, then.

Right. Yep, it's an old one. It might be interesting to see if the relaunch one is any good, then.

It's actually from House of Mystery, not Showcase.

DC is collecting all of the original I, Vampire series in a TPB, I saw. Some of the DeMatteis penned stories were good.

Fourth issues of Swamp Thing and Animal Man both made for really enjoyable reads, Lemire and Snyder do an excellent job of building on the familiar Red/Green concepts by delivering satisfying chunks of exposition mixed with some nice visceral meaty horror.

The pair are clearly working together here to build their own little chunk of the DCU and I'm in for the duration - I'd take Lemire as the new Hellblazer writer in a heartbeat and hope that both he and Snyder have plans for Constantine in their unfolding tale.

I've said it before - these are proper, old-school Vertigo comics and if you're not reading them then I'll be forced to conclude that you're a person of very questionable tastes indeed.

So they're continuity-heavy, characterised by 'chunks of exposition', and read like something from 15-20 years ago? To be honest, you're not really selling them to me...

So they're continuity-heavy, characterised by 'chunks of exposition', and read like something from 15-20 years ago?

If you prefer, say, Hellblazer now to how it was written twenty years ago then these aren't the comics for you.

If you prefer, say, Hellblazer now to how it was written twenty years ago then these aren't the comics for you.

Let's see... December 1991 was the second part of 'The Pub Where I Was Born'.

Yes, today is better.

I prefer the "Pub Where I Was Born" over the current Hellblazer, although I don't accept that one story characterises the Hellblazer of 20 years ago.

But here, no-one's going to try and sell you Animal Man and Swamp Thing if you'd rather have Eastenderblazer.

The family dynamic in Animal Man is much more plausible than recent Hellblazer, and that's in the face of a weird fantasy of a story. The narrative is strong in both exposition AND visuals. Swamp Thing is back to what it should be, a series of horror tales woven around a familiar saga. Excellent stuff.

The best Hellblazer story of today can't hold the jock of worst story of Hellblazer 20 years ago.

Now, if Constantine does not hook up with Jason Blood then all of this DCnU will be for naught.

Hook up?.

Which of the various US slang meanings for hook up, are you using in this case, brother Lou?. Either would be good, imho.

Jason Blood/Etrigan is one of my favourite characters, quite demented, and 60s.

It's been quite a while since I've watched a thread on this forum degenerate so horribly as this one just did... :x_sleigh:

(I don't know what that smiley is about, but I never saw it befoe, and felt the need to use it, apropos of nothing.)

I'd much rather be reading anything up to the end of Jenkins' run, per Hellblazer, than anything that came after, per Hellblazer.

I really enjoyed the scene with the Cat in the latest issue of Animal Man. :x_tree:

(Hey, another smiley I've never seen before!)

I really enjoyed the scene with the Cat in the latest issue of Animal Man.

Yeah, and the parallel storylines between these issues were beautifully constructed.

Night Force (written by Marv Wolfman) is the next title added to the "DC:Dark" line, starting in March.

The original series is a classic, and the second series from the 1990s was quite good also.

Ooh that might be good, based on previous work under that title.

Regarding some commentary elsewhere, I find the stylised art work of I, Vampire (qv Jae Lee) to be quite refreshing among the DC So-Called Dark books. I suspect only a few will be making it past the 4 issues mark on my pull list, and I Vampire will be one that does.

Time for another set of polls, methinks.

And the collapsing of all DC threads that are not Dark into one.

Thus representing the gradual cancelling of our orders.

Night Force should definitely be interesting. Is that a mini or an ongoing, Christian?

Animal Man #5 has a very early contender for Creepiest Scene Of The Year 2012, [ Spoiler : in a glimpse of things to do, Buddy has to suffer a vision of his corrupted daughter eating his face off! ]