JohnMcMahon

DC : The Dark

I've had no problem with Foreman on Animal Man. However, Pugh is a nice improvement.

Prefer Foreman to be honest but I'm a fan of Pugh's work too so it'd be churlish of me to grumble about moving from one good artist to another!

#7 is another great read, little bit of everything in there really including a small cameo from [ Spoiler : everyone's favourite Englishman ].

That was some quality work. I loved the moment when Buddy connected with his son by way of impressing girls. It's good to have a super-hero dad

My one minor quibble is.....let's see some action! There's been a bit too much dream/altered reality/whatever visions and not enough of Animal Man actually doing heroics. Just a bit too slow of a burn.

Speaking of slow burns. Finally the moment we knew would come for Alec Holland arrived. This is small tweek to the Swamp Thing monster. And that's fine. Regarding the last page: could Swamp Thing do that before or is that new?!?! Hopefully now that Swampy's on the scence, asses will be kicked. The whole issue was brilliantly drawn by Paquette, who keeps hitting home runs. I like his JH Williams III inspired use of layouts but I'd also like to see him do some more traditional panels a bit more.

I think that's new for Swamp Thing. And that issue was fucking awesome. Paquette really is killing it right now, hope he stays on for a bit. Very much looking forward to next issue when ST kicks the shit out of everything.

Animal Man needs no additional action. It's got storytelling action and >choke< actual "dark".

Steve Pugh's art is excellent. I was getting tired or Foreman's too regular random warpspasm art.

Time for an update, as the new Dark book hits the shelves.

I found this issue of Swamp Thing a little turgid, but still worth a look.

The "Red" half of this tale is much better and with Steve Pugh on Animal Man now the art is much better thank you very much.

That final cameo is the best representation of mr Constantine that we have seen for months.

(Actually it's hardly enough to say, but it is very remeniscent of other past appearances in other books. If the crossover has to happen, I'd rather have Jeff Lemire in charge of it than most of his contemporaries.) I read Sweet Tooth just before, and the echoes of that story were touching moments.

Dial H For Hero is simultaneously the weirdest and the most grounded story in the batch.

I like the art, and I love this book's collision between DCs Real World and Doom Patrol au Morrison.

Mieville's writing suggests he'd do a cracking version of Delano's lyrical Constantine AND Warren Ellis's mundane moments.

And you know how I feel about that.

Here's a gripe, the variant covers of Swamp Thing and DH4H are rather horrid.

The black and white ones puzzle me when they are just copies of the main cover, but this is my least favourite Swamp Thing cover of the new run.

But who would not want the Bolland covers? They look great.

http://www.brianbolland.net/gallery/dial_h/dial_h_01.html

http://io9.com/5893904/china-mieville-gives-us-a-sneak-peek-of-dc-comics-weirdest-new-superhero-series

Visually Swamp Thing is still bringing the goods but story wise the closing chapter wasn't particularly satisfying, a rather straight forward fight rolling into power-of-love nonsense and wrapping up with a rather meh reveal.

Animal Man remains excellent on all-fronts, there's something inherently unsettling about The Red and the addition of Pugh to the creative team will only lead to more skin crawling - the man draws ugly, and I mean that as a compliment.

Dial H was disappointing, will give it a few more issues to see if it can get its hooks into me.

As an aside Real Bookcases > Virtual ones

comixology_resize.jpg

I thought Dial H was great. Loved the artwork and the story was just out there. The two Dial H heroes were excellent. Loved that Chimney dude.

Have not read Animal Man or Swamp Thing yet. Weren't enough hours in the day yesterday.

Solicitations are out for October - Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Frankenstein share a mini-event [ Spoiler : Rotworld. Sounds a little Age Of Apocalypse, set in a world where the Rot's won ].

^ Haven;t read the latest Dial H yet.

But the Animal Man/Swamp Thing crossover continues to be excellent stuff.

Yes it does. As mentioned elsewhere just now, Lemire does family dynamics so well and Animal Man benefits from that. The crossover meeting is perhaps a little bit "And then Swamp Thing was there ..." but the books so much more than merely a crossover. The team dynamics here are better than JLD though there's only six of them ;-)

I am so glad that Steve Pugh is on the book now.

Wish the Swamp Thing part had some consistency in that dept although the variation is used in story.

I'm quite looking forward to a DCU Rotworld. Hope they don't bottle it (or make it their "Marvel Zombies")

I'm looking forward to some new action figures that could come out of this. Buddy, ST and Arcane. I'd buy them all. We're already getting a new Constantine.

Rotworld continues to be mostly excellent, though the use of Hellblazer in Animal Man was kind of crap. Yes, he was called straight up Hellblazer.

Looked like a Constantine rot thingy in ST but the bushy moustache shot it down.

I've not read it yet, but I saw online Lemire took a jab at Liefeld by having characters his books (Deathstroke, Grifter, Hawk & Dove) infected by the Rot. HAHAHA

lol that they did. I totally did not even realize that! They had some type of twitter spat didn't they?

Yeah, sort of. As Liefeld was nuking bridges on his way out, via Twitter, Scott Snyder got caught up in it, then Rob jumped all over him, and big twitter feud exploded. And Lemire, of course, is a friend of Scott Snyder's

Rotworld continues to be mostly excellent, though the use of Hellblazer in Animal Man was kind of crap. Yes, he was called straight up Hellblazer.

Looked like a Constantine rot thingy in ST but the bushy moustache shot it down.

It did look like that, yes. I thought it was John, but was confused about the continuity with Animal Man.

I actually think this might be the best use of John in comics at the moment. He doesn't play much of a role, but it's close to how Alan Moore wrote the character when he debuted in Swamp Thing, only he's not as mysterious anymore, after all these years of teaming up with Zatanna and Black Orchid, of course.

What Lou said. As long as he stays on Batman, then I'm ok.

And I'd like to see Snyder work his magic on Superman.

Unless it's Lemire or Morrison on Swamp Thing, I can't see myself having any interest.

I'm not interested in checking out Snyder on Superman either.