JohnMcMahon

DC : The Dark

Ok, Swamp Thing gets a reprieve! I rather liked it. Soule gets it and does well with it. And Kano does solid work, which is thankfully not trying to ape Paquette. However, I wish they wouldn't try so hard trying to tie the New DCU together. Swamp Thing taking on a Batman villian in Metropolis, only to have Superman show up. It's a bit much. But I suppose that's the fictional world we live in now.

Phantom Stranger.....Didio can't leave soon enough. Oh how I wish JMD could just tell his stories without having to worry about tie-ins and building to events. There was a bit of frantic, throw it all the wall and see if it sticks with all the guest stars [ Spoiler : Morgan Edge, Jack Ryder, Challengers of the Unknown, as reality stars! which is a neat concept. ] It all went okay until the mandated appearance of that questioning man without a face. Horrible execution and one of the worst reimaginings of the New 52. Also, what's the deal with Stranger's coins? Am I forgetful? Or just don't care? :)

Unlike some, I am quite prepared to change my tune, and my fears and gripes about Animal Man & Swamp Thing were unfounded.

Animal Man because it is consistent and yet a pivotal moment in ejecting some of the "Red" poppycock ("oh yeah it's like the different coloured lanterns but with elementals and shite") and retaining a family dynamic of more grown up proportions.

But Swamp Thing is excellent.

Eloquently scripted, lovely to look at and a throwback to random cross overs that did not require you to pick up 17 Superman books and a JLA One Off. This is more pleasing than recent issues of the book, which had been quite decent to start with.

Oh and the Dial H for Hero WTF cover is very funny and the story does not disappoint.

Mieville would be the only solution to a problem called Constanteeny.

• Upvote 2

I dug the latest ST and Dial H as well.

It was pretty cool how China handled Nelson coping with The Flash.

• Upvote 1

Phantom Stranger #8-That's it for me. Justice League Dark ruin everything.

At the point where Nightmare Nurse, Mystic MD debuted I tuned out. It's like something from the early-90s.

And, worst of all, John slept with her too. That guy really will sleep with anyone. You suck, John Constantine!

• Upvote 3

Christian, thank you. I will defer to your judgement and NOT buy it. Instead, I bought Ten Grand by JMS and Ben Templesmith. It's been described by some as Hellblazer-esque, if JC were a PI

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed. Even with the fairly obvious bits of De Matteis excellence, the DCU Mandate shines through like a shiny turd in a muddy pond. Take the JLD out of this and one issue of pathos (and let's be honest, having villains introduce themselves by trade name in LETTERING is just rubbish.

Animal Man #20 was quite fantastic! It's basically the comic book adaptation of the meta-movie "Tights" about the Red Thunder, starring Buddy Baker. I would watch this movie! Damn good despite having Animal Man in it for two pages. And wow! What two pages they are :)