• ok i liked it a little
    • better than i thought
    • Not that bad, almost pretty good

HELLBLAZER #285

Written by PETER MILLIGAN

Art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CARLI IDHE

Cover by SIMON BISLEY

20752_400x600.jpg

Things have been strange since John Constantine's niece Gemma sold his trench coat - like bleeding apartment walls and unplanned visits to the middle of the Thames. And now this peculiar garment is working its murderous way to America. Constantine's getting hot under the collar - but still refuses to empty his pockets in "The Burning Man."

It had some good things, didn't it? I'm the only one still reading Hellblazer, aren't I. Well, it isn't markedly better or worse than the previous issues of 'the jacket journeys', but that's not saying much. The art was weird (Giuseppe didn't do it all himself), and [ Spoiler : where the fuck did the demon in the living room disappear off to ]? Hello? Plot hole? We forget something? Hellooooooo?

I paged through the issue, and as expected, the cover has nothing to do with the interior contents.

I had to look, because if John accidentally bumped into his trenchcoat at a bar where a Mucous Membrane tribute band was playing, and John and the trenchcoat got into a fight, which ended with John grabbing a guitar and smashing it on the trenchcoat, I would've had to buy the comic.

Pretty much the worst comic book I've ever read. I think he did smash a guitar inside the pages but I honestly don't care enough to remember.

I'm liking it more and more. The FUCK OFF magic circle was a particularly nice touch in this one.

I thought it was quite well written, the plot is thickening and the issue seemed pretty dense, when it was over i felt like i got quite a bit of story. On the other hand it was more of the same, the coat keeps doing what it was doing, big angry demons keep attacking Gemma/Epiphany/John and the mafia guys keep doing their mafia thing.. The scenes with Marc Bolan demonic reference i didn't expect at all though, and it was quite amusing. Art was a bit strange here. Camuncoli's layouts were his usual, but the inking.. in some places inking was refined and vibrant, other times it was a rushed mess done in Photoshop with a thick ugly line.. also the colorist from the Manco era is back

Thank shit! I'm not the only one who can see something positive in this here publication.

This series is just getting worse and worse. I haven't been this un-enthused about Hellblazer since the Azzarello years. The Evil Trenchcoat concept is beyond stupid. I can't believe this was ever greenlighted. I'll be very happy when DC brings in a new writer.

I don't think it's the concept itself, it's the execution. I kind of like the idea that John's coat is out in the world causing mayhem. I don't like that it has somehow become sentient. Honestly, if they had left out the coats 'Narration', i think the books would be much better.