A. Heathen

Hellblazer Vertigo or Hellblazer DCU?

11 members have voted

1. 1. Ignoring the long history of the original, right now, which do you prefer?

• John Constantine in the Justice League Dark
    • John Constantine in the Hellblazer comic
    • John Constantine in the movie Constantine
    • Ha! I get that #3 was a comedy option, but #1 & #2 are equally poor
    • No, everyone else is wrong, #1 & #2 are equally good

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35667

To get self-reflective for a moment, why do you think your version of Constantine has proven so popular with "Hellblazer" fans?

I don't know. I've tried to make him human. Of course, he's a mage and a conman, but being human, he sometimes does things to try to bring a bit of joy into his life. He's the most human of all comic book creations, I think, because he's changeable and unpredictable, and I've tried to reflect that.

What a sloppy interview. The interviewer asked Jamie Delano the question in Adrian's quote and accidentally wrote "Peter Milligan" for the name of the person who answered. Shame.

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the feeling that both are pretty bad at the moment.

John hasn't really done anything in Justice League:Dark as of yet, other than claim to have perfected the fine art of Zatanna's speaking backwards. So, there's a chance that the John in JLD may go somewhere interesting, but I'm having grave doubts about that book after the quality seems to have dropped by each issue.

Will my life soon be Johnless each month?

I'm not doing backflips for either,but I still prefer the Vertigo version,just slightly.

The idea of Constantine in the DCU is just ugh. But the Vertigo title is also dire. I am reading the book since No.1 and there always were runs which were disappointing or didn´t work, but the current run is really depressing in its awfulness. A shame.

As mediocre as it can be from time to time, Vertigo John gets to say fuck. DCU John can only say ****.

Will my life soon be Johnless each month?

Have you tried working a different corner?

The idea of Constantine in the DCU is just ugh. But the Vertigo title is also dire. I am reading the book since No.1 and there always were runs which were disappointing or didn´t work, but the current run is really depressing in its awfulness. A shame.

Welcome aboard! Sorry you didn't join the forum to say how much you love the current Hellblazer. :wink: Will you be visiting the Introduce Yourself thread?

Me, I'm not bothering with either version of Constantine.

What's your draw to a hellblazer fansite if you aren't reading any form of it? nostalgia? the killer view of the ocean?

There's also a Comics section, where you can talk about all the other comics you read.

I think most of us who dropped HB (and it just happened recently for most of us also, remember) will probably be back on the book at some point.

I'm planning to give the Annual a chance.

Besides, it's not as if there's a rule that discussions must pertain to the new Hellblazer issue each month. There can be John Constantine discussions dipping into the history of the character. It does happen from time to time.

Not to mention that a lapsed reader can follow the comments of other fans to see what they are missing. Waiting for that moment where we see, "Oh shit. I never expected to see that happen in Hellblazer. This is the greatest John Constantine story ever written. I'm glad I stuck with Peter Milligan now, as he's rewarded those with the patience to put up with bad writing. Milligan is now better than Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis put together!".

What Christian said about the rest of the forum.

Plus the fact that I have plenty to talk about among the (majority of) issues I've read.

Not to mention the good company and friends we've all made on the forum.

What's your draw to a hellblazer fansite if you aren't reading any form of it? nostalgia? the killer view of the ocean?

Honestly Hellblazer is the last thing I come here to chat about.

I wonder about that myself; I'm sure some of the active members have never read Hellblazer. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :icon_wink:

Christian and Ade put it pretty well. Anyway, I do read Hellblazer: I've got about 200 issues right here, and they ain't for paperweights. :smile:

The one who'll be appearing in "I, Vampire" next month! :hattip:

This didn't go as well as I would have hoped - his John sounded more Irish than English and he made the cardinal sin of referring to Constantine, on panel, as Hellblazer.

And one of the downsides of using tight photo reference is that the end result can look like your mates mugging for a camera. "Lift that ciggy a bit higher so we can see it, luv. That's it!"

Loving the deeply-shaded eye sockets. That's goth-as, and way easier than drawing actual eyes. I'm gonna call it "No Eye, Vampires".

DC’s New 52 - The Bad

And one of the downsides of using tight photo reference is that the end result can look like your mates mugging for a camera. "Lift that ciggy a bit higher so we can see it, luv. That's it!"

Loving the deeply-shaded eye sockets. That's goth-as, and way easier than drawing actual eyes. I'm gonna call it "No Eye, Vampires".

DC’s New 52 - The Bad

Wow, thanks for highlighting that blog, that awful Green Arrow writing made my day. "Hey, party people.. how about you stop gawking and get the hell out of here!". :) It sound like it's coming from Samurai Cop or some other bad bad 80's movie. So bad.. but..you..can't..stop..looking.

Nice spot on that I,Vampire image, that art bugged me, now i know why.

It's an awful moment for sure, but I'll wait to see the context a bit more.

And it's not as clunky as "I've seen Hell blaze through these streets".

ihellblazer_resize.jpg

To be fair, the issue makes good use of the DC version of John but that's an ill-advised panel right there.

It got an "OH NO!" from me, but I otherwise enjoyed John's appearance in I,V.

ihellblazer_resize.jpg

To be fair, the issue makes good use of the DC version of John but that's an ill-advised panel right there.

HEY KIDS! TOO STOOPID TO USE THE INTERNET? HERE'S THE NAME OF THIS CHARACTER'S COMIC IN CASE YOU CAN'T!

Not that anybody gives a shit, but I've dumped JLA Dark Brown over the I Vampire crossover. They can stuff that up their arses: if I wanted shit like that in a comic, I'd be reading fucking Green Lantern or the X Men.