13 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League (Johns, Lee)
    • JLI (Jurgens, Lopresti)
    • Aquadog (Johns, Reis)
    • Wonder Chick (Azzman, Chang)
    • The Flash (Manapul)
    • Captain Tiny (Krull, WII)
    • Green Arrow (Krul, Jurgens, Nocenti incoming)
    • Mister Terrific (Wallace, Gugliotta)
    • Savage HawkDragon (Daniel, Bonny, Tan)
    • Furry Firestorm (Harris, Van Sciver, Cinar)
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman and the Lanterns of Green

• Action (Mozzer & Mor)
    • Boy (Lobdell & Silva)
    • Girl (Green, Johnson, Asrar)
    • Man (Perez, Merino)
    • GL A (Boris Johns & Doug Mahnke)
    • GLC (Tomasi, no Pasarin)
    • GL NNNNGGGG! (Bedard, Kirkham)
    • Fred Lanterns (Milligan't, Benes)
    • none of the above
  3. 3. Children's Justice

• Teeny Titans (Lobdell, Booth)
    • Static Shock (Bernadin, McDaniel)
    • Hawk & Doo (Gates, LIEFELD, Iaskyou! WHY?)
    • Blue Beetle (Bedard, Iguana)
    • L.G.S.O.H (Levitz, Portela)
    • Legion Lost (De Falco, Woods)
    • no kids stuff
  4. 4. Children's Smut (& some others)

• Stormwatch (Cornell, Sepultura)
    • Grifter (Edmundson, Snafoo)
    • Death's Toke (Higgins, Bennet)
    • Sueisfine Squad (Glass, Rudy)
    • OMAC (Diddy-O, Giffen)
    • Black Ox (Costa, Lottley)
    • Voodoo Booboo, more like (Marz, Basri)
    • Men of War (Brandon, Derrenick)
    • Wild Wild Western (Palmiotti & Gray, Moritat)
    • DCU Presents (Deadman 1-5: Jenkins, Chang; Challengers 6-8: Didio, Ordway)
    • Thanks but no thanks
  5. 5. When they say "Dark" they mean shite, or Vertigo brown.

• Swamp Thang (Snyder, Packet)
    • Animal Man (Lemire, Foreman)
    • Frankie and his Four Seasons (Lemur, Ponticelli)
    • Resurrection Man (Abnett & Lanning, Dagnino)
    • I, Vampire (Jenkins & Jae Lee, I mean Fialkov & Sorrento)
    • Children's Hellblazer, feat. The Hellblazer & his Magick Ho's & some mad dudes (Milligan't, Janin)
    • Demon Knights (Cornell, Neves)
    • these all leave me in the dark
  6. 6. Batman

• Batman (Snyder, Capabullo)
    • Bazinga (Winick, Olivier)
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason)
    • Bats in the Attic (Finch, Jenkins, Finch)
    • Bat to the Future (Lobdell, Rocafort)
    • Batchick (Simone, Syaf)
    • Batlady (Wiii, Jesus was Blackman, no Jesus was Batman, no that was Bruce Wayne)
    • Catchick (Winick, March)
    • Bats of Prey (Sweetchinski, Says)
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Barrows)
    • DC's DC comic: DC (Daniel)
    • Bat's all folks!
  7. 7. On a scale of 0 to 52, how successful was this relaunch?

• 0 - not at all good
    • 2 - not too bad
    • 52 - other

In the thread, feel free to list the books you will most certainly not be getting for they stink like Superman's Savage Shite.

And also the ones that you have not even looked upon.

That kind of thing.

I haven't looked at most of the new books yet, but it's still early in the relaunch and it will be nice to read some of them after the opening arcs are wrapped up if the buzz is good. There was no way i could put the time and money into all of the first issues, but what i gather from the articles and comments i read, DC put out a huge variety of titles - pretty much any genre that was created over the last 70 years is represented. The New 52 is in a way "same old", with just surface level changes to most of the characters. One of the freshest comic books right now seems to be O.M.A.C, who was created by Jack Kirby in 1974. Now, Kirby was way ahead of his time, it's good that his creations are getting recognition.

How much of the New 52 is really new? Batwing? I'm not reading it, but adding a new member to the Bat-family doesn't really count for me. I'm probably missing a ton of new character, someone please help me out..

Now, i don't necessarily mind that there aren't a ton of new heroes as long as the stories are good. And some of them are. And some of them are quite bad, although i find them almost as interesting as the good ones. I love an idea of a bad comic, with cheese dialogue and cliche characters, but it only really works when it's not intended. So far The Green Arrow is a very strong candidate in this category. Also, The Dark Knight. Why not hire some writer who has new fresh ideas, even from outside of comics and do some spectacular batman Book, like Marvel did with Astonishing X-Men? I like the way Finch draws Batman, so i bought the #1, and it was bad. The Arkham inmates are breaking out (again!) and they are all on Bane steroids. sigh

It is good to see that DC put their big guns (Lee,Johns) on their flagship title Justice League. I'm not reading it but it's a commitment Lee didn't have to make, it shows mobilization top to bottom.

Just some random thoughts..

I'm certainly not touching anything they're letting Dan Didio script, so that's OMAC and DCU presents out for a start.

I really don't want any of it but found myself reading more title than I tbought I would. That said, I think it's high time to drop The Dark Knight.

Batman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Action Comics

Deadman (soon to be dropped after this arc).

That's it. All the rest can eat it, except I am looking at Azzman's WW if they trade it.

I avoided most of the books that I think would fall into the "totally awful" catergory.

Out of the books I sampled, Firestorm is one book that I won't be touching again though.

I don't care for Batgirl either, but that's more a matter of "I just don't care about Batgirl", rather than it being really awful to read.

I dropped quite a few that I tried the first issue of...StormWatch being probably the biggest disappointment out of the bunch.

I know I'll keep reading Animal Man, Frankenstein, Action Comics, Batman, and Aquaman.

I'm undecided on JL:D. It's pretty bad...but it's got Constantine beating up women, so...

I don't know how many others I'll continue to read, as they're just average to me.

DCU Presents:Deadman had its moments, but that's an anthology book, and DiDio is taking over the writing, so no more.

I'm going to pick up Green Arrow when Anne Nocenti takes over, so we'll still see about that one.

Looking forward to the new Night Force book.

At present I'm on Birds Of Prey, The Shade and Justice League Dark.

I've already given up on Savage Hawkman (the mighty morphin' power archeologist) and may not give JLD much longer either.

I'm only reading Action Comics of this 'new' 52, and the last couple of issues of that have been pissweak. Boring fight scene, boring flashback, and what seems to be an incomprehensible crossover plot (and not incomprehensible in the good Morrison sense, either). It's a long way short of what was promised.

I'm just hoping that the last phase of Morrison's Batman run will be more interesting, now that there's no requirement to tie it in to the wider DC clusterfuck.

I greatly enjoyed the lastest issue of Action Comics.

I liked how Morrison is re-telling the origin of Superman, granted that it's such an old plot and everyone knows the gist by now, if they need to redo the origin, this is the way to go about it.

Plus, I enjoy that Morrison is mixing Golden Age and Silver Age tone within the same issue.

Just gave up on The Dark Knight. It might be alright but it reads and looks like a bad Image comic from the 90s. No thanks.

I've continued to buy JLDark--only because I'm a completist and am trying to collect every single thing JC has been in (some are really really bad, to tell the truth), but I don't enjoy it. I picked up I vampire for that reason.

But I don't even read DC anymore except for 3 or 4 Vertigo titles. I barely read Marvel, too. These are the dreg years for the big 2. I read Image, Avatar, Oni and Dynamite titles the most.

1st 4 issues of Scott Snyder's Batman have been great. He really does a good job bringing out the detective side of Batman a bit more, as well as Bruce Wayne.

I've waffled about The Dark stuff elsewhere, suffice is to say that I'm really enjoying Animal Man & Swamp Thing, looking for a little more from I, Vampire and Resurrection Man.

Red Hood & The Outlaws is an absolute guilty pleasure, sarky arss-kickers kicking arse and being sarky with gratuitous sex a plenty.

As for the success of the launch, I've gone from buying no DC titles to paying for five a month.

I'm buying more DCU books also.

I was buying just Secret Six and whatever Morrison was writing (which before the relaunch was just Batman).

And....bye bye bye

Men Of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock will all end with issue #8

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/12/dc-comics-cancel-omac-men-of-war-mister-terrific-hawk-dove-blackhawks-static-shock/

I can't say that I will miss any of these titles.

But we will get Batman INC, World's Finest, Dial H, Earth 2 (basically JSA), G.I. Combat & The Ravagers

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-new-52-new-titles-120112.html

Batman INC by Morrison & Burnham should be good. Earth 2 is by Robinson & Scott...umm...that's a guarantee. The rest...meh

Shawn, are you insane?

Chine Mieville is writing the new Dial H For Hero series!

That's going to be near my #1 for most exciting "New 52" releases.

I'll be buying Batman Inc, and I'll have to give Earth 2 a try.

Shawn, are you insane?

Hey! That's never been proven in a court of law.

Am I sensing sarcasm regarding China Mieville? Or...? I know she's a novelist people seem to dig, but I know nothing about her work in comics.

Oh damn!! Well....I am so sorry Mr. China for assuming you had ovaries instead of testicles. Please don't kick my ass.....I will buy your comic....maybe.

Ah, to be young and think that Mieville is a woman again. I remember those days...

Basically, he's only written one story for comics (a Hellblazer story, no less), although it was quite a good story*. It may be true that his talent won't totally transfer to the comic page, but considering we're talking about the greatness of China Mieville I have my doubts about that! If Scott Snyder and Denise Mine can do it, Mieville can do it better.

Now, you must get to work and check out Perdido Street Station, the first book in his dark fantasy (so far) trilogy.

*He has written one or two politically themed comic strips, but I won't count them.

Haha, I believe she's a dude.

edit - wow and he's totally fuking built and will kick your ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Mi%C3%A9ville

A case of a "Man Called Sue", I reckon!

Anyway, nicked from The V and taken from an interview on Newsarama...

Harras: China Miéville is the writer of the book. I've met him. He's an amazing, amazing writer. He is a fantastic DC Universe fan. And the decision was made that Dial H really did fit into what we were doing with Animal Man and Swamp Thing, taking that kind of darker aspect of the DCU and exploring it. We felt that this book played into that area very nicely.

Yeah, I'm in.

And here are 3 more titles soon be cancelled. Rob Liefeld will be writing Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke & Grifter. I'm not interested in any of these but Deathstroke is sort of meh...in a fun 80s action movie sort of way.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/rob-liefeld-deathstroke-hawkman-grifter-120113.html

Heh...This is some sort of social experiment on the part of DC, isn't it?

Divide the line into two parts...one half made up of all the mistakes made in the 1990s (Rob Liefield, Howard Mackie), the other half made up of the Internet's darlings (Morrison, DC:Dark, Mieville)...and see if it causes some sort of mental explosion on fans.

OK, there's the middle ground too of "safe and sure DC stalwarts", which don't fit either extreme and is mostly Geoff Johns writing as many comics as possible.

My fear is that it's an insidious plan on Bob Harras' part to lull people and keep DC in business long enough to turn the clock back and bring back all of his buddies from the "bad ol' days" and get rid of the quality talent who managed to sneak into "mainstream" comics while Harras wasn't in power.

I'm glad DC is sticking to their plans and not slacking off now that they did the relaunch. They said that low selling titles would be canceled and replaced by new titles, and that each book only had so many months to prove their worth.

If DC sticks to only 52 monthly on-going DC books, and continues to cancel the dead weight, I have to give them some credit.

Now, the fans just have to come through and not read books that should never happen, like Liefield or Mackie still having jobs.