13 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League (Johns, Lee)
    • JLI (Jurgens, Lopresti)
    • Aquadog (Johns, Reis)
    • Wonder Chick (Azzman, Chang)
    • The Flash (Manapul)
    • Captain Tiny (Krull, WII)
    • Green Arrow (Krul, Jurgens, Nocenti incoming)
    • Mister Terrific (Wallace, Gugliotta)
    • Savage HawkDragon (Daniel, Bonny, Tan)
    • Furry Firestorm (Harris, Van Sciver, Cinar)
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman and the Lanterns of Green

• Action (Mozzer & Mor)
    • Boy (Lobdell & Silva)
    • Girl (Green, Johnson, Asrar)
    • Man (Perez, Merino)
    • GL A (Boris Johns & Doug Mahnke)
    • GLC (Tomasi, no Pasarin)
    • GL NNNNGGGG! (Bedard, Kirkham)
    • Fred Lanterns (Milligan't, Benes)
    • none of the above
  3. 3. Children's Justice

• Teeny Titans (Lobdell, Booth)
    • Static Shock (Bernadin, McDaniel)
    • Hawk & Doo (Gates, LIEFELD, Iaskyou! WHY?)
    • Blue Beetle (Bedard, Iguana)
    • L.G.S.O.H (Levitz, Portela)
    • Legion Lost (De Falco, Woods)
    • no kids stuff
  4. 4. Children's Smut (& some others)

• Stormwatch (Cornell, Sepultura)
    • Grifter (Edmundson, Snafoo)
    • Death's Toke (Higgins, Bennet)
    • Sueisfine Squad (Glass, Rudy)
    • OMAC (Diddy-O, Giffen)
    • Black Ox (Costa, Lottley)
    • Voodoo Booboo, more like (Marz, Basri)
    • Men of War (Brandon, Derrenick)
    • Wild Wild Western (Palmiotti & Gray, Moritat)
    • DCU Presents (Deadman 1-5: Jenkins, Chang; Challengers 6-8: Didio, Ordway)
    • Thanks but no thanks
  5. 5. When they say "Dark" they mean shite, or Vertigo brown.

• Swamp Thang (Snyder, Packet)
    • Animal Man (Lemire, Foreman)
    • Frankie and his Four Seasons (Lemur, Ponticelli)
    • Resurrection Man (Abnett & Lanning, Dagnino)
    • I, Vampire (Jenkins & Jae Lee, I mean Fialkov & Sorrento)
    • Children's Hellblazer, feat. The Hellblazer & his Magick Ho's & some mad dudes (Milligan't, Janin)
    • Demon Knights (Cornell, Neves)
    • these all leave me in the dark
  6. 6. Batman

• Batman (Snyder, Capabullo)
    • Bazinga (Winick, Olivier)
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason)
    • Bats in the Attic (Finch, Jenkins, Finch)
    • Bat to the Future (Lobdell, Rocafort)
    • Batchick (Simone, Syaf)
    • Batlady (Wiii, Jesus was Blackman, no Jesus was Batman, no that was Bruce Wayne)
    • Catchick (Winick, March)
    • Bats of Prey (Sweetchinski, Says)
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Barrows)
    • DC's DC comic: DC (Daniel)
    • Bat's all folks!
  7. 7. On a scale of 0 to 52, how successful was this relaunch?

• 0 - not at all good
    • 2 - not too bad
    • 52 - other

I totally disagree. Millar was nowhere near as bad as Stormwatch is now,

And Millar was nowhere near as good as Ellis was then.

-----------------------------Exactly, Lou.

Didn't Grant Morrison write like one issue to jumpstart it and that went nowhere? Same with WildC.A.T.S.?

Yes. Hilariously, Morrison did an Ellis on the "big WildStorm relaunch".

He wrote two issues of Authority and one issue of WildCATs, and then just decided to stop.

Eventually, WildStorm got a new writer for Authority, and Morrison said he'd eventually write a graphic novel (with Jim Lee on art) to finish the WildCATs story, but WildStorm folded before either could be bothered.

His run on WildCATs wasn't looking promising anyway. It read like a throwback to the original Image WildCATs...and that's just not good.

The characters just aren't viable anymore, and it seems that each new creative team sinks a bit more than the last.

It was all downhill after Ellis left, it's just a slippery-slope.

They really should've just been allowed a graceful death along with the 1990s.

And G. Morrison's two issues of Authority are the worst ones of its existence, worsted only by the hardcover release "Human on the Inside." That was so bad, I gave my copy away.

The State of DC Comics and The New 52

'New 52' Appealed to Avid Fans & Lapsed Readers

Relaunched Comics Using Sex and Violence To Sell: MyFoxDC.com

DC_Free_Comic_Book_Day_2012.jpg

Why do they still have capes. They are stupid and would totally get in the way while foe vanquishing. Seems to me a reboot was the perfect time to dump all their capes.

I could see a non-cape Superman work some how. Say like Superman from Batman Beyond. But Batman needs the cape. It serves for design and function

The State of DC Comics and The New 52

'New 52' Appealed to Avid Fans & Lapsed Readers

Relaunched Comics Using Sex and Violence To Sell: MyFoxDC.com

Why do they still have capes. They are stupid and would totally get in the way while foe vanquishing. Seems to me a reboot was the perfect time to dump all their capes.

Thanks for the links.

Agreed about capes. Superman has worked perfectly well without the cape in past incarnations. Batman should probably keep his... but in general the New 52 is a half-assed reboot and capes are just one indicator.

Edited by JasonT

Why do they still have capes.

To billow in the wind behind them as they radiate awesomeness.

One of the more eloquent euphemsisms for farting.

Remember Spawn's living cape? Or, are we still trying to forget?

While Superman doesn't need a cape, he is one of the superheroes who wouldn't be hampered by a cape.

He doesn't really do close-combat brawling, or anything where the cape would get tangled around the appendages.

The cape is, of course, to make the characters look more majestic.

Why do they still have capes.

To billow in the wind behind them as they radiate awesomeness.

One of the more eloquent euphemsisms for farting.

Up, up and away!

I read the "Shazam" backup in JL. Geoff Johns is now on my shit list. There's virtually nothing here that resembles The Big Red Cheese we all know and love. Batson is an obnoxious, ungrateful brat..who blogs, of course. Sivana is Lex Luthor with glasses. They are the known characters in name only. One of the things I liked about Captain Marvel was his morality. He was a cut above the rest, even Superman at times. Also, seemingly gone is that innocence from Billy being a child. I get they wanted to update the character. I get why they had to go with naming him Shazam (I still don't like it). But this all could've been done while still respecting the character. Gary Frank did ....ok work. It's not his best.

Issue 6 (yeah, right) of Superman was the final issue to be written by George Perez. Which means I might buy issue 7. George's scripting was pretty rough, with clumsy exposition and unnatural dialogue amongst its flaws. It was a pissweak opening gambit for the relaunch of DC's numero uno character.

The current arc in Aquaman has an interesting premise of showing Arthur as part of a proto-Justice League group that was searching for Atlantian artifacts. Cool! However! The pacing on this is far too drawn out and dull. Just get to it Johns!! dammit. I feel again like I'm being cheated and not given enough story.

WOW Earth 2 surprised the hell out of me!! I won't spoil anything. However, do not go solely on the previews. The only hint I'll give is this: the way the WWI/WWII era shaped the JSA is sort of the same way the Apocalypse War will shape these characters. There is much more going on. There's some solid Golden Age world building by Robinson. BTW, this is good Robinson, he of JSA, Starman, etc....not his recent JLA stint. Nicola Scott!! once more....Nicola Scott!! Best art of her career

I'm really anxious to read Dial H. I saw previews and was rather impressed, especially by the art.

On the other hand,

Earth 2 #1-I can't say that I enjoyed it. It improved after the prelude portion of the story, which took up nearly the entire issue. It, overall, moved slowly....might be room for improvement, but I can't say I'm invested at all in anything I read in this first issue, so I won't be back. This is probably the most drastically changed of all the "New 52" relaunches.

Maybe I was just expecting something more along the lines of Golden Age.

That cover for G.I. Combat #1 was neat though. No chance I'll read it, but I liked looking at the cover ad.

Animal Man #9-Ut-oh, we got us a J.C. sighting.

And, a reference to Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man as well.

Good issue.

Action Comics #9-The Superman of Earth 23 is...Obama?

OK, Morrison is back to throwing out crazy ideas in this issue, which is always good. I'd have to say it was an altogether very good issue, built on a shaky premise.

Dial H #1-That was crazy. I'm going to be picking this book up again next month.

Three good books in a week for DC (out of four for me), makes a good start to May.

I loved Action Comics #9. Might just be my favorite issue yet. Superman is black, he's the president, and he's a total bad ass. Grant was on the crazy sauce when he wrote that one.

Those are the kind of Superman stories i used to love, the "Imaginary Stories." I hope we get more like that in the future.

As for Dial H. I don't know, It was just Okay for me. There was some glaring typos early in the book that sort of sucked me out and i never really found my way back in again. Of course part of the problem could have been i was reading in low light while trying to soothe a baby so i'll give it another shot next month.

I liked Earth 2 much more. It will be interesting to see where this book goes [ Spoiler : now that they have killed off the Holy Trinity of DC characters. ]

Hopefully it won't go the same way as that DC event "Trinity"! Worst thing Busiek ever wrote.

Are you sure they were typos?

Some of Mieville's characters were speaking in stream-of-consciousness.

Nothing in the character's dialogue jumped out at me as grammatically incorrect, unless it was meant to be disjointed speech, but I may have missed something too.

I liked Grant's lead story in Action Comics "9", but didn't think much of the backup story.

Oh, those back-up stories are a total waste. I don't even try to read it anymore.

Basically, DC wants to screw you out of an extra dollar for their "big" books, and they're giving you some extra pages, so whatever. Sure, I wish the book was $2.99, but I'd expect they'd still charge $3.99 for Action Comics, even without extra pages.

Maybe it's meant to be disjointed speech, but to me it read like typos. Last panel on page 2. "Please excuse me while screw you. I wrote that crap down. You had an, I quote, 'non-st elevation heart attack'. Just damn luck that there was no damage this time."

I figure there is at least one word missing and a 'y' at the end of 'luck'. I know these are minor, but that early on in the story, i was just getting into the book, and i had to re-read that panel several times. Plus as i said, i was slightly distracted when i read it. I'll pick up the next issue and see if my enjoyment of the book improves.

"Luck" is fine there.

Not sure where the missing word might be, but it's written as it would be spoken, which sometimes has to be avoided in comics dialogue unless being totall Morrison hatstand, or so I think.

"non-ST" perhaps should have been edited by an editor to something similar but less awkward and technological, but the introduction makes its point.

That is a good review. It captures everything that needs be said about the first issue.

Although he doesn't mention the Will Pfiefer series from the late-1990s (I think), which reconceptualized the H-Dial in a "grim 'n' gritty" way. I'd say that Mieville's take plays much more closely to an adult version of the original series though, in a better way than Pfiefer's run.

I hope there's no story-arc that attempts to explain exactly what the H-Dial is or how it operates though, as the very absurdity of the concept works much better for the tone of strangeness than any plot that any writer could ever dream up, I say.

Meanwhile, the Comic Book Syndicate TV show (a local show airing out of Windsor, Ontario) episode that aired last night really let me down by giving a poor review to the first Animal Man TPB.

Yes, even with local guy Jeff Lemire writing it.

I believe the series is archived on YouTube.

Yeah, here's the link if you want to watch it: