13 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League (Johns, Lee)
    • JLI (Jurgens, Lopresti)
    • Aquadog (Johns, Reis)
    • Wonder Chick (Azzman, Chang)
    • The Flash (Manapul)
    • Captain Tiny (Krull, WII)
    • Green Arrow (Krul, Jurgens, Nocenti incoming)
    • Mister Terrific (Wallace, Gugliotta)
    • Savage HawkDragon (Daniel, Bonny, Tan)
    • Furry Firestorm (Harris, Van Sciver, Cinar)
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman and the Lanterns of Green

• Action (Mozzer & Mor)
    • Boy (Lobdell & Silva)
    • Girl (Green, Johnson, Asrar)
    • Man (Perez, Merino)
    • GL A (Boris Johns & Doug Mahnke)
    • GLC (Tomasi, no Pasarin)
    • GL NNNNGGGG! (Bedard, Kirkham)
    • Fred Lanterns (Milligan't, Benes)
    • none of the above
  3. 3. Children's Justice

• Teeny Titans (Lobdell, Booth)
    • Static Shock (Bernadin, McDaniel)
    • Hawk & Doo (Gates, LIEFELD, Iaskyou! WHY?)
    • Blue Beetle (Bedard, Iguana)
    • L.G.S.O.H (Levitz, Portela)
    • Legion Lost (De Falco, Woods)
    • no kids stuff
  4. 4. Children's Smut (& some others)

• Stormwatch (Cornell, Sepultura)
    • Grifter (Edmundson, Snafoo)
    • Death's Toke (Higgins, Bennet)
    • Sueisfine Squad (Glass, Rudy)
    • OMAC (Diddy-O, Giffen)
    • Black Ox (Costa, Lottley)
    • Voodoo Booboo, more like (Marz, Basri)
    • Men of War (Brandon, Derrenick)
    • Wild Wild Western (Palmiotti & Gray, Moritat)
    • DCU Presents (Deadman 1-5: Jenkins, Chang; Challengers 6-8: Didio, Ordway)
    • Thanks but no thanks
  5. 5. When they say "Dark" they mean shite, or Vertigo brown.

• Swamp Thang (Snyder, Packet)
    • Animal Man (Lemire, Foreman)
    • Frankie and his Four Seasons (Lemur, Ponticelli)
    • Resurrection Man (Abnett & Lanning, Dagnino)
    • I, Vampire (Jenkins & Jae Lee, I mean Fialkov & Sorrento)
    • Children's Hellblazer, feat. The Hellblazer & his Magick Ho's & some mad dudes (Milligan't, Janin)
    • Demon Knights (Cornell, Neves)
    • these all leave me in the dark
  6. 6. Batman

• Batman (Snyder, Capabullo)
    • Bazinga (Winick, Olivier)
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason)
    • Bats in the Attic (Finch, Jenkins, Finch)
    • Bat to the Future (Lobdell, Rocafort)
    • Batchick (Simone, Syaf)
    • Batlady (Wiii, Jesus was Blackman, no Jesus was Batman, no that was Bruce Wayne)
    • Catchick (Winick, March)
    • Bats of Prey (Sweetchinski, Says)
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Barrows)
    • DC's DC comic: DC (Daniel)
    • Bat's all folks!
  7. 7. On a scale of 0 to 52, how successful was this relaunch?

• 0 - not at all good
    • 2 - not too bad
    • 52 - other

He appears to be doing covers for Hawkman, at least...

I'm making a prediction. The upcoming arc in "Batman" to feature the return on the Joker will be pushed back or cancelled. Due to the psycho responsible for the Aurora massacre, who called himself "The Joker" and now this new nut in Maryland just arrested for making threats as "The Joker." The police found quite a bit of weapons and lots of ammon at his place. Thankfully he was stopped.

BTW, I think Liefeld is drawing the Deathstroke book.

Dial H for Hero continues to be worth my time, but it's really heavy going.

I think the Gerberisms continue but Steve would have spread them out more and in the context of an amusing back story.

And the cover should have said "WHO GAZES AT ABYSS - THE HUMAN VOID ???"

^ Haven;t read the latest Dial H yet.

But the Animal Man/Swamp Thing crossover continues to be excellent stuff.

It's funny how almost all of DC's best books are coming out the first week of the month.

I'm really enjoying Action Comics right now. Morrison is entering the Silver Age very quickly, leaving behind the Golden Age stories.

Why are the aliens called "The Long Hairs" though? I never got that, unless it's a throwback to 1950s slang.

The introduction of the 5th dimension stuff.

Very fun book.

Aquaman. Sigh. Ok, I get it something...dramatic will happen, Aquaman is going after Manta cuz Manta is a evil!!! Arthur has secrets from his past that will haunt his present! He's also become a guest star in his own book. Lots and lots of wheels spinning in the mud is irritating me.

But damn Ivan Reis is amazing!! I'm done with Aquaman

Kid Eternity.

Looks nice (Cully Hamner can do that to a book), nicely written, but mostly too nice.

This idea (person can see the recently dead, but it's written in a comedic style) seems too familiar. All sorts of comics do it.

The tone reminds me of i Zombie, which I am just about to read the final issue of, or the most recent series of House of Mystery.

It's like Buffy, Reaper and Dead Like Me ... in a comic.

And you know, I am glad that Jeff Lemire can get this out of his system here, and still produce most excellent stuff.

He's got a secret DCU project coming up.

I find myself agreeing completely with you Ade on Eternity. It was just...nice. There was not much bite to it. Also, I think that if Lemire wrote Kid Eternity a little close to what the character has been in the past, it would be gold. Still, not horrible though.

I just realized something! In three DC books we have three different forms of Leviathan: Unwritten, Frankensteing Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and Batman Incorporated. Hmmm

Cunning, I've not had mail subscriptions for sooooo long. But I wonder if it's because DC did some switching around on the mail order stuff, since they're phasing it out.

I've been enjoying Wonder Woman despite my best efforts :smile: Although, I've not picked up #12 yet, I did see a really interesting spoiler at the end. There's talk of it on the webs. There's some World building

[ Spoiler : We see a body emerge after the apparent destruction of Olympus. He stands up, grabs the helmet of Orion, then takes off in a Boom Tube. So they New Gods are showing up by way of the end of the Greek gods in the New 52 in the Wonder Woman book. Could be good! ]

Now that we're approaching The New 52's very own real-life version of One Year Later, it's probably time to dole out my judgement on those titles I've been buying. I've given them all a fair crack of the whip - even JLD - so, which should I keep, which should I ditch......?

Keeping:

Animal Man - Can't fault this title, really. Been a big fan of Buddy Baker since GM took him on, and this run of Lemire's has been excellent.

Batman - another winner. Thought the whole "Court of Owls" arc maybe went on a bit too long, but the conclusion made it worth it.

Batman & Robin - Not as good as the main Bat-title, but certainly worth keeping with. The exchanges lately between Damian, Tim, Jason & Dick have been well written and I'm looking forward to seeing how DW develops (I liked him comparing Bruce's role in charge of Robin with Dick's time in the cowl)

Ditching:

Justice League Dark - This is going. Awful, awful stuff.

Nightwing - I so wanted to like this but it's just so goddamn boring. I pick it up every month and can't even remember how the previous issue ended - not a a good indicator of a memorable story.

Stormwatch - this just hasn't picked up at all. The characterization of just about everyone in it is so far removed from what went before they might as well just come up with new people. I know the whole New 52 is a re-boot but it just seems like they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Still Undecided:

(I'll re-read the whole lot again before making a final decision)

Red Hood & The Outlaws - A couple of months ago I would've put this top of the list to get chucked, but since they fucked off into space it's been a bit more fun. On the other hand I AM a bit pissed off with the number of Ancient and/or Secret Societies that are peppering the DCU now. RH&TO has the All caste and The Untitled, SW has the Shadow Council and Stormwatch itself. I'm sure there are others of varying pedigrees, but c'mon, really? Exactly which one is running the world secretly, or are they all sooooo secret they ALL think they're the ones running it?

Green Arrow - This one is a real stinker, but I like the GA too much to ditch it. Fuck, I stayed with it when Winick had run it into the ground, and when JT Krul made a pig's ear of it. I can ride this out. At least New 52 Ollie is now developing a conscience and a more left-wing attitude, even of it's being done with as much subtlety as a charging rhino with a hard-on. And his team at Q-Corps seem to be taking more of a back seat. But for fuck's sake GIVE THAT MAN HIS GOATEE BACK!

What a long, strange trip it's been. So many books have fallen by the wayside.

Here is my list of New 52 books I am still buying.

THE GOOD:

Animal Man-After a year, I have to name this the best of the New 52 books.

Action Comics-Hasn't been Morrison's best, but there's a sense of fun to the series that I'm enjoying. Still in my top 3 for DC.

Swamp Thing-Actually dropped this for a time when it looked like it was going back, but am back, and am enjoying it as a nice companion piece to Animal Man.

Frankenstein-There was a time when I considered this my favourite New 52 book, but the novelty wore off. It's still a good read each month and worth my time.

Dial H-Enjoying this. Still early in its run. We shall see where it goes.

THE LESS THAN GOOD:

Justice Leage Dark-The book I buy solely as a completist. I'm sure I'll drop this before too many more months, but I'm holding on for the nonce. I really shouldn't.

Batman Inc.-Not really enjoying this. I was hoping Morrison's work on Batman would have ended by now. I'd probably drop this, but I can't stand to drop a Grant Morrison comic. It's not a bad book, I'm just bored with Morrison on Bamtan.

THE MIGHT-BE-GOOD:

I'll probably start picking up Batman again now that the "Neverending Owl Story" is finally over.

OH OH! My turn!

Good

Batman - Big, year long story arc that delivered. I can't wait for the Joker story.

Batwoman - I've learned the book is far better with JW3 & Blackman working together. It's one of the most beautiful books on the stands. They've found a good nitch of supernatural mysteries, with a Bat that's seperated just enough. Again, why is there Batgirl?

Wonder Woman - WW is the god/monster thumping, bad ass she should be. It's very enjoyable mythological action/adventure. And ....Cliff Chiang!

Swamp Thing/Animal Man - You kind of have to keep them together, don't you? These have been the crown jewels, best there is, right now. My only quibble would be that after the Rot World story I'd like to see smaller stories in each book that don't tie into the other title.

On the Fence

Flash - Manapul is an amazing artist, but he & Buccellato are not good enough writers. They aren't bad, but I think of what this book could be with a more seasoned writer, at least co-writing. Also, the stories are solid, but we've seen this all before in one way or another. I love the character. But...I miss Wally West.

Dial H - I don't know...it's certainly interestingly wacky. But is that enough? With #4 we see more of the overall story, which pulled back in, so let's see what's next. Isn't this like an old school Pre-Vertigo, mature DC book? I get that vibe.

Batman & Robin - This is the Batman doing superhero things with Robin book. And it's done well, especially with Gleason, who is a vastly underrated artist. However, there's something about that sort of holds it back, I don't know. The father/son dynamic is what brings me, and let's face it Damian is the star of the book. They should just make it "Robin"

Bye bye

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. - No Lemire, no me reading it. Sorry, I'm sure Matt Kindt is decent but it's just meh.

Aquaman - Bendis..oops I mean Johns has made Aquaman cool again. I get it. Really. Love Aquaman & LOVE Ivan Reis. It's not enough for Johns ultra stretched out padded scripts. Besides, Reis is gone soon to do Justice League, and supposedly Johns will leave as well. Get Lemire on it!! And I'd be back.

Everything else has been so horrible. There's also Green Lantern that would be an epic book if Hal Jordan was not in it, with Sinestro remaining as the star. Here's hoping Hal gets killed in the upcoming GL event. Never thought I'd say that.

Action Comics, well, it started off really great!

Batman INC, uhhh so. I'm sort of done with Morrison. Burnham does good art though

I wasn't even able to see much difference between Lemire and Kindt on Frankenstein. The book reads the same to me, which is a nod to Kindt.

Check out Mind MGMT from Matt Kindt, Shawn. I did, and I'm impressed. It might give you more appreciation for Kindt.

Ah, pre-Vertigo mature reader DC books...those were the days. Good stuff, good stuff.

One warning, so far it's a series you need to read from the beginning.

If you choose a random issue, you'll be lost.

Kindt is unveiling a mystery.

Although, Kindt has stated that he's including bonus material in the monthly comic that will not be available in trades.

I wasn't even able to see much difference between Lemire and Kindt on Frankenstein. The book reads the same to me, which is a nod to Kindt.

Check out Mind MGMT from Matt Kindt, Shawn. I did, and I'm impressed. It might give you more appreciation for Kindt.

Ah, pre-Vertigo mature reader DC books...those were the days. Good stuff, good stuff.

I agree about the transition from Lemire to Kindt, but expect Kindt to be more at home with a story of convoluted thought processes and mysterious organisations. Lemire's strength is human emotions and interactions.

Mind MGMT is a work in progress, so I'd recommend:

3 Story http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4559&st=980&p=319518entry319518

Revolver and Super Spy

More love for the Snyder Batman from me. I'm reading it for the first time now, without the monthly wait, and it's kickass stuff. (Not a fan of Greg Capullo's art, but it has its good points.)

I like what I've seen so far of Batman Inc. It's more of exactly what you'd expect from Grant and (the artist who draws like) Frank Quitely.

Green Lanter Annual #1 - I checked it out based on the pedigree of the Johns/Van Scriver team. It wasn't there best but interesting to say the least. Long story short, the Guardians are right nasty, full-on baddies on a universal scale. There's some cool concepts of re-writting history, but why not? It's a New (52) universe. There's a f*** yeah moment with Sinestro, that's also rather gruesome. There's a bit of a shock towards the end, assuming they stick with it.

[ Spoiler : Sinestro & Hal seemingly are killed by the Guardians' new flunkie. The point that a GL ring seeks a replacement in the event of death is stressed a bit too much, almost like a misdirection. So I sort got my wish of the boring, whiny Hal Jordan being offed, but I didn't want Sinestro gone too. It's comics, they'll be back. If they're even dead. It's a way to introduce Baz, the 1st Arab GL....with a gun. errr...ok ]

[ Spoiler : Why would he have a gun?.

Actually, thinking about that, I can't see what their point would be about that, I can't even make it make "ironic" sense. Anyone who can be influenced by a gun in the first place, isn't a fit opponent for a GL, are they. Send to cops for goodness sake. ]

Wait. I think you mis-read that. Shawn didn't say he was an "opponent". Re-read.

I agree with your general point though.

How annoying is it when you see some random super-villain loser in a Thor comic book, for example?

The early Stan Lee issues of Thor were obnoxious as hell because of that.

He's a real, live deity! And, he's going to fight...Mr. Hyde? The Cobra? Really? Uhhh...no.

Green Latern comic, same thing. The comic should be cosmic.

I hate when writers refuse to play to the individuality of a character.

Ka-Zar is the lord of the Savage Land, ok? That's what makes him unique! Don't put him in story after story taking place in New York where he beats up muggers. That's the purpose of Spider Man!

Sub-Mariner? Underwater world...don't have him on land fighting super-villains.

Silver Surfer? Space. Not fighting super-villains.

It's simple. Why do writers fail to see that certain characters are meant for certain stories, not generic stories? Drives me nuts!

I may have the wrong end of the stick there, [ Spoiler : I thought he was saying the new GL was going to also pack a gun?. So I was wondering why they would, because if he can do his crime-fighting with a Smith'n'Wesson, he is a cop, and the ring, superfluous ]

Re the story-line logic, I feel your pain, I really do.

A lot of stuff about comics at that "Simple god-damned logic" level makes me grit my teeth, actually.

I mean, I can see why Superman is against killing anyone, ever. Almost no-one is an immediate threat to him, and he can subdue almost anyone. Let us pretend that bystanders never get hurt by the evil villians, let alone killed by them, and allow Supes the lee-way to fight on till he subdues the big-bads. He isn't a human, just proud that two good ones of the species brought him up, and he fights with alien strength to uphold the best of human morals. In fact he is fighting for better than human morals, he fights like an idealised American lawman.

But, seriously. Most mid-level American ( though not some other countries, like my own, were we are not really encouraged to act to prevent crime, here it would not be so clean cut ) good guys, what the fork is going on in the writers heads?. Any American can shoot dead a real murdering villian who is in the act of murdering, and hold his head up that he "Saw his duty clear".

THE BAD GUY IS KILLING BYSTANDERS FOR FORKS SAKE !.

Drill him between the eyes with a soft-tip .45 slug. It is actually two of the three, i.e. justice and the American way. Maybe it is the trifecta too, because it is a TRUTH that if you hesitate because of some sort of overly nice moral judgement, and the guy shoots and kills a child, you have failed, that is the truth!.

Why should a superhero not be obligated to do at least what a police officer ought to do?. Or in fact what any other moral American bloke with a pistol would be obligated to do?. Why should tights mean you gotta be unable to follow simple logic?.

Oh, I mis-read your post.

Yeah, you certainly had a point.

The Punisher is one type of character, while it seems like a stupid idea to go that direction with more creative heroes.

That was a major problem in the early-1990s. It seemed like there were all these characters who were superheroes going around with just a big gun. It was really unimaginative.

They're superheroes. They're supposed to be something more than what any cop would be.

Superheroes don't need to kill their opponents though, because they're super. They can stop criminals without resorting to guns.

Spider Man has his web-shooters to disarm gunmen from far away, then he can just knock them out.

Flash is super fast and can outrace a bullet.

"With great power comes great responsibility, over and above normal men".

Only lame characters who aren't really very super need to carry around a big gun to help them.

"Truth, justice, and the American way" was Superman's motto.

"Justice" would mean everyone has the same rights and equal access to a fair trial.

Most of us go by "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" though.