13 members have voted

1. 1. Justice League

• Justice League (Johns, Lee)
    • JLI (Jurgens, Lopresti)
    • Aquadog (Johns, Reis)
    • Wonder Chick (Azzman, Chang)
    • The Flash (Manapul)
    • Captain Tiny (Krull, WII)
    • Green Arrow (Krul, Jurgens, Nocenti incoming)
    • Mister Terrific (Wallace, Gugliotta)
    • Savage HawkDragon (Daniel, Bonny, Tan)
    • Furry Firestorm (Harris, Van Sciver, Cinar)
    • none of these
  2. 2. Superman and the Lanterns of Green

• Action (Mozzer & Mor)
    • Boy (Lobdell & Silva)
    • Girl (Green, Johnson, Asrar)
    • Man (Perez, Merino)
    • GL A (Boris Johns & Doug Mahnke)
    • GLC (Tomasi, no Pasarin)
    • GL NNNNGGGG! (Bedard, Kirkham)
    • Fred Lanterns (Milligan't, Benes)
    • none of the above
  3. 3. Children's Justice

• Teeny Titans (Lobdell, Booth)
    • Static Shock (Bernadin, McDaniel)
    • Hawk & Doo (Gates, LIEFELD, Iaskyou! WHY?)
    • Blue Beetle (Bedard, Iguana)
    • L.G.S.O.H (Levitz, Portela)
    • Legion Lost (De Falco, Woods)
    • no kids stuff
  4. 4. Children's Smut (& some others)

• Stormwatch (Cornell, Sepultura)
    • Grifter (Edmundson, Snafoo)
    • Death's Toke (Higgins, Bennet)
    • Sueisfine Squad (Glass, Rudy)
    • OMAC (Diddy-O, Giffen)
    • Black Ox (Costa, Lottley)
    • Voodoo Booboo, more like (Marz, Basri)
    • Men of War (Brandon, Derrenick)
    • Wild Wild Western (Palmiotti & Gray, Moritat)
    • DCU Presents (Deadman 1-5: Jenkins, Chang; Challengers 6-8: Didio, Ordway)
    • Thanks but no thanks
  5. 5. When they say "Dark" they mean shite, or Vertigo brown.

• Swamp Thang (Snyder, Packet)
    • Animal Man (Lemire, Foreman)
    • Frankie and his Four Seasons (Lemur, Ponticelli)
    • Resurrection Man (Abnett & Lanning, Dagnino)
    • I, Vampire (Jenkins & Jae Lee, I mean Fialkov & Sorrento)
    • Children's Hellblazer, feat. The Hellblazer & his Magick Ho's & some mad dudes (Milligan't, Janin)
    • Demon Knights (Cornell, Neves)
    • these all leave me in the dark
  6. 6. Batman

• Batman (Snyder, Capabullo)
    • Bazinga (Winick, Olivier)
    • Batman & Robin (Tomasi, Gleason)
    • Bats in the Attic (Finch, Jenkins, Finch)
    • Bat to the Future (Lobdell, Rocafort)
    • Batchick (Simone, Syaf)
    • Batlady (Wiii, Jesus was Blackman, no Jesus was Batman, no that was Bruce Wayne)
    • Catchick (Winick, March)
    • Bats of Prey (Sweetchinski, Says)
    • Nightwing (Higgins, Barrows)
    • DC's DC comic: DC (Daniel)
    • Bat's all folks!
  7. 7. On a scale of 0 to 52, how successful was this relaunch?

• 0 - not at all good
    • 2 - not too bad
    • 52 - other

Ah, ok. I saw that picture in the back of a DC book and was wondering what exactly it was supposed to be.

Not the best character design, at all.

#0 month isn't working for me.

The character's origins aren't really different from their old origins, so this is basically a recap month for long-time readers.

Dial H had the position of not having to worry about past continuity, but I wasn't impressed by this issue. The best part of it was the title, for me. This was the weakest issue in the series.

Action Comics tried, I guess, but left me cold. It's a pretty generic plot for Morrison to use, and it's a really toned down story for Morrison. It didn't really work.

Animal Man stands out as the best I read this week. Sure, it's the old origin again, but it's a damn cool origin, and the behind-the-scenes details with the revelation of The Red made it an enjoyable read. Would have been better just to see the regular story-lines progress though.

Green Arrow, though, was a trap! On a whim, I purchased it, because I thought Nocenti writing Arrow's origin might be fun. Right there, on the cover, "Anne Nocenti". Yet, to my horror, it was really written by Judd Winnick. Yeah, I don't blame DC for not wanting to admit that they let Winnick back again, but did it have to be at my expense? That book hasn't been very good even with Nocenti, imagine what it did to me to force a Winnock script on me unsuspecting. I never want to read a Judd Winnick comic book ever again.

I thought #0 month might be a good idea when I heard about it, but it's not.

Green Arrow, though, was a trap! On a whim, I purchased it, because I thought Nocenti writing Arrow's origin might be fun. Right there, on the cover, "Anne Nocenti".

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But her writing on the series so far hasn't been great.

Yet, to my horror, it was really written by Judd Winnick.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry:

Yeah, the zero issues I read &/or flipped thru seemed rather....unnecessary.

Animal Man & Swamp Thing were both good, but did we really need it? I'd like to see more flashbacks of previous Animal Men, like the fellow we saw this month.

Dial H came up short of being something rather cool. The art was not good. Still, there Brian Bolland did the cover.

I checked out Phantom Stranger #0 by the way. It's still sitting on the shelf.

I do wonder if the real purpose of the zero month was to allow flex time for creators or for editorial to make some changes in who's doing what.

Swamp Thing I just found dull. It was just his Len Wein origin story retold over again.

I guess it added the Arcane elements, but I didn't enjoy the ret-con. The elements added to Animal Man's origin I did enjoy.

Plus, I just think Animal Man's origin is cool, while I find Swampy's to be tired.

It was a bad move, as Swamp Thing could have easily took the Dial H route and went back into history to tell some story relevant to the current Swamp Thing. It didn't need to be "this is Alec Holland becoming Swamp Thing told all over again".

How bad is it when the best we can say about an entire week's worth of books from "mainstream" DC is "Brian Bolland cover".

Yeah, this is certainly going to go down as a filler month for DC. Not a good idea to do this the month before Marvel decided to launch their big revamp.

While Marvel NOW! doesn't look good on paper (and won't in execution either, I'm sure), it will hit the market in a big way.

Do you guys ever check out reddit? Right now there's a war between us old guys (35 and older) who hate the DC reboot against the young guys (under 30) who absolutely love it. I try to remain civil, but it's hard, lord it's hard. What they think is good isn't good at all.

Eh, I haven't been a big fan of DC outside of what they were doing in the 1980s, post-Crisis.

They've had some good series over the years, but as a company, I really don't care that much difference whether it's the "New 52" or what came before.

The "New 52" feels forced and rushed, not organic. But, I care about good writing on good characters the most. I have no loyalty to any continuity.

The reason DC got so good for a couple of years post-Crisis is because they were taking risks and bringing in the best fresh talent to shake up their line. It wasn't all about a "company line".

In that context, it really doesn't matter very much.

The "New 52" has some good books...mainly Animal Man.

I was only reading about three DC books before the relaunch.

So, yeah.

OK. Batman #0. Features a young Bruce Wayne just setting up shop as Batman and the villain is the Red Hood. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Red Hood Jason Todd, the second Robin? Or am I tripping?

If I recall, The Red Hood was the Joker, before he became such. Then Batman dropped him into that vat of chemicals. Which wasn't easy to get over. At least back in the old continuity. With The Killing Joke, it was the Red Hood Gang the (pre)Joker joined.

Then Jason adopted it as his own identity, since Joker was the one to kill him. I pretty sure this last part is still part of the New 52

Was that Silver Age Joker? I believe that universe was destroyed in one of the Crises.

The Red Hood who was The Joker is the 1950s Joker, and that continuity was erased in the original Crisis, then the story was ret-conned by Alan Moore.

The Killing Joke is post-Crisis and is a part of DC continuity.

What I'm most confused about is that it says at the end of Batman #0 that the story continues in 2013.

Is that a misprint, and it meant issue #13? Because the next Synder Batman arc involves the Joker. I'm hoping they aren't delaying the Batman book until 2013 now.

I picked up Demon Knights #0, and lo and behold, Lucifer makes an appearance. And, the costume he's wearing...

Zero month annoys me. DC kept saying that there were going to be revelations pertaining to the DCU during zero month, and not just origins for characters. Yet, DC was hinting back in Demon Knights #1 that StormWatch and the Demon Knights are connected in the "New 52". Well, I expected we'd see this as part of the origin, but no, it's just a retelling of the Demon's origin story. I'm beginning to think that DC will never actually get around to explaining their new continuity.

On the other hand, this issue wasn't bad. Cornell had some fun with the Demon's identity as a rhyming demon. It wasn't far removed from what Alan Grant was doing with the book back in the early-1990s.

Still not interested in this comic though.

Frankenstein #0 could have been better. There were some good ideas in there, but they were quickly dropped in favour of heavy text.

It ended up feeling less like an actual story and more like just an excuse to give a Frankenstein origin comic.

Frankenstein #0 did have some good crazy fun, like the soul grinder & Victor's henchmen. I'd like to see more of that. Maybe some flashbacks to Frank's early days

Has anyone been reading The Shade 12 part series? I've heard some good things about it online. I'm thinking of getting it in trade. Isn't fairly detatched from the New 52?

Yeah, Shade isn't related to the New 52 at all.

It was commissioned by DC before their relaunch, and just happened to fall with the "New 52", as far as publication.

It isn't meant to tie in.

I only read the first and last issue, so I can't speak about the series as a whole, but I thought the last issue was terrible.

All that build up to the Shade's origin, and it's the most generic circa-1930s era horror story you can imagine.

I wish his origin would have just remained a secret.

Some characters work better have an heir of mystery about them.

I mean, what was the purpose of Charles Dickens even being involved in that story? The story made it seem like Dickens role was going to be important, and then he served no purpose.

I wanted to like it, and the rest of the series might have held up, but the final issue read to me like Robinson trying way too hard to live up his old work on Starman.

I understand the conceit that Robinson based his character on a character from the Dickens novel, but it's not as if Shade's origin follows the Dickens story-line.

Rob Liefield has announced that he's leaving DC.

Says that his talents are being wasted.

Ha, ha. No, just kidding about that last part. He is gone though.

Also, Anne Nocenti is now writitng Catwoman. I don't think even the talents of Nocenti can help that mess though.

Look, I have a confession to make. They say confession is good for the soul. I bought Swords of Sorcery #0. I....I have a problem....

But, it's not like you think. You see, I bought it because there's a John Constantine appearance and because I wanted to see what the Beowulf back-up series would be like. OK?

I...I know it doesn't make things right....

The Amethyst story was as bad as I expected. John makes an appearance on the last page. It's setting up a future story-line. All you Justice League Dark readers (are there two of those left?), get ready, as there's bound to be a JLD/Amethyst cross-over coming up!

So, the Beowulf story is alright. Not bad. It's set in a post-apocalyptic future, reimagining the legend. Society has degenerated so that tribes of people are the norm again. The story takes place in a Norse village. Poul Anderson would doubtless approve of this future.

Beowulf is the code-name for a genetically-engineered soldier kept in cryogenic suspension in an abandoned military bunker.

I get the vibe that it's going in the direction of the old Mighty Samson series.

I enjoyed that last Shade story.

The origin has been promised for a long time, and my only quibble was that Dickens got embroiled in the pivotal moment of Shade's origin. Him being a friend was already established, but it's silly to have him kidnapped.

I was kind of relieved to have the humans drawn by someone other than Frazer Irving. His cosmic landscapes in the past few issues were grand but the way he draws hair troubles me.

Green Arrow, though, was a trap! On a whim, I purchased it, because I thought Nocenti writing Arrow's origin might be fun. Right there, on the cover, "Anne Nocenti".

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But her writing on the series so far hasn't been great.

Yet, to my horror, it was really written by Judd Winnick.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry:

Actually, I found I enjoyed this version of GA's origin. Having the youthful Ollie screw up quite so spectacularly was quite original, and seeing someone take up the role of a superhero to atone for a major league fuck up was quite refreshing (after so many tales of heroes unselfishly declaring 'I shall use my power for good'). Oh, and it filled in some of the blanks about Roy Harper's relationship with Oliver

I take back my initial horror at Winick's involvement.

Well, subjectivity and all that...

But, while I agree with you that the motivations for Ollie becoming a superhero being different is positive, it didn't need anything more than his old origin. He was a wealthy, egotistical prick who didn't care about anything except his lifestyle, and he had an awakening that he had misused his life.

The same is already there, just without a need for a major motivation, which actually does put it closer to some other superheroes, I feel upon reflection.

Like, with Batman, the added motivation was what happened to his parents. I'm not saying it's exactly the same.

Putting something in the middle of point A and point B (making it point C obviously), isn't needed.

The original added more to the whole Robin Hood archetype too, I felt. I'm not saying he's totally a clone of Robin Hood, by any means though.

As far as Roy Harper...Yeah, I really know Green Arrow from the Denny O'Neil stories and some of the Mike Grell stuff...So, that didn't add much for me.

I understand what you're saying about the original origin, but I just think guilt provides a more believable motivation for his life as a crimefighter than some awakened sense of duty. Maybe that says more about me than anything else!

Winick's new origin also portrays Merlyn as Oliver's youthful friend, probably embarking on a life of revenge. While this is more than a bit cliched, I understand that it ties in with the Arrow tv series. As disappointed as I might be that they're bringing up the old former-friend-as-arch-enemy trope, at least there is some rationale behind using it. If the tv series is a success that'll be enough justification in my book.

Thanks CC, you're right. I was confusing the Annuals with the 0 issues and thought that ST already was out.