St. Apathy

Gratuitous Watchmen cash-in

Great pic of the Comedian. But I think anything that needs to be said about Watchmen was said in the original series.

Guys that have armoured crotches AND steel-capped combat boots scare me. You gotta know that is their favourite strike, when they have protected themselves from it.

:eyes watering:

Here's the line up for the new Watchmen books.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169445-dc-entertainment-officially-announces-before-watchmen

I want to hate it but I would buy an Azz/Bermejo Rorscach mini in a heartbeat. Also, Darwyn Cooke. Azz on The Comedian? I'll bet it's very seedy. Now I have to buy all of it.

I'm sort with Lou on this. While the idea of a Watchmen follow up seems pointless, I do like most of the creators they're using. Especially, Darwyn Cooke doing The Minutemen & Azz/Bermejo on Rorshach.....but....do these need to 4 or 6 parts EACH!?! Add it all up and it's longer than the original. I think it'd be better to have a 48 page one-shot for each.

I'm sort with Lou on this. While the idea of a Watchmen follow up seems pointless, I do like most of the creators they're using. Especially, Darwyn Cooke doing The Minutemen & Azz/Bermejo on Rorshach.....but....do these need to 4 or 6 parts EACH!?! Add it all up and it's longer than the original. I think it'd be better to have a 48 page one-shot for each.

Yeah...I really doubt I'll be buying this, and I haven't even looked at any of the New 52. DC just doesn't interest me anymore.

Yeah...I really doubt I'll be buying this, and I haven't even looked at any of the New 52. DC just doesn't interest me anymore.

As long as Soap Opera-addled ponce like DiDio and traitors like Geoff Johns and Jim Lee remain in power, DC's fucked.

From that NYT article -

Brian Azzarello, a comics author who is writing the mini-series for the Watchmen characters Rorschach and the Comedian, said he expected an initial wave of resistance because “a lot of comic readers don’t like new things.”

That's the Azz we know and love, using his legendary powers of wordplay to provide a thoroughly mindfucking reinvention of the hackneyed phrase "new things".

Or, possibly, talking shite.

It's a lovely cover, i'll grant you that.

I'm not buying it though, at least not in it's initial run. If people brag on it enough, i'll get the trade.

- RORSCHACH (4 issues) - Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo

- MINUTEMEN (6 issues) - Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke

- COMEDIAN (6 issues) - Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones

- DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) - Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

- NITE OWL (4 issues) - Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert

- OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) - Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee

- SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) - Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Hmm...Ozymandias by Len Wein looks interesting.

I'll probably check out Minutemen by Cooke.

I don't know though. It just seems like a bad idea.

I think your last line nails the unease I feel perfectly.

But shit, what would I know, I couldn't write anything a tenth as good as Azzarellos' hackiest hack. He will write something worth my 7 dollars even on a bad day, given I MUST READ COMICS on a weekly basis.

And a man can only re-read Unwritten so many times I think.

I think it's just another nail in the coffin of the Big Two. another short-term hype/money-maker for DC to justify its existence to its parent company. Watchmen doesn't need prequels. It's certainly not the perfect book people make it out to be, but it is perfectly fine on its own.

Excellent CBR interview with J M Straczynski:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36726

... where he makes some incisive points about the project.

... Alan has spent most of the last decade writing some very, very good stories about characters created by other writers, including Alice (from Wonderland), Dorothy (from Oz), Wendy (from Peter Pan), as well as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde and Professor Moriarty. I think one loses a little of the moral high ground to say, "I can write characters created by Jules Verne, HG Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle and Frank Baum, but it's wrong for anyone else to write my characters."

On the same CBR page, check out the unintentionally funny Adam Hughes cover to Dr Manhattan. As my mate Dillon said euphemistically, what's going on with that?

EDIT: The quote from JMS should be read in context. It's a small part of a much larger interview in which he says a lot of positive things about Alan Moore.

Edited by JasonT

It's not that much of a straw man.

There's something of a discrepancy between Moore's comments and his own actions on works that did not need a sequel.

Especially since such works are out of copyright (free) whereas DC wants to feed its business.

Speaking with The New York Times about Before Watchmen, Moore, who is entitled to royalties on printings of Watchmen and its exploitation in other media, said, "I don't want money. I want this not to happen."

"I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago," said Moore, also the writer of the acclaimed League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lost Girls and Swamp Thing. "As far as I know, there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick." The writer also said the Before Watchmen news reminds him of the "draconian contracts" he signed with DC at the time.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/01/alan-moore-dave-gibbons-before-watchmen-creators-quotes-ethics-prequel/#ixzz1lFfIpX1s

Perhaps they should call them "After Charlton" to keep him happy(ish).