St. Apathy

Gratuitous Watchmen cash-in

I think all of this looks like absolute bullshit, really. Shameless cash-in-attempt without an ounce of originality. Bleh.

That goes without saying, really.

Watchmen is pretty well a told tale, so even decent creators (and there's some very good names on this heap of nonsense) are going to be hard put to find anything worth milking any further there...

I don't remember which website, and I'm too lazy to find it, but there was an article suggesting an alternative. Rather than Watchmen, do stories about the Charlton characters that inspired them. It'd be a great way to re-introduce Blue Beetle (Ted Kord & Dan Garrett), The Question, Judo Master, etc to the New DCU

That would be a far better idea, considering that DC has this relaunched universe. Maybe they should be spending time fleshing out exactly what the new continuity is and how exactly this world is operating and all of that, instead of just hitting the reset button, throwing it al out there, saying "it's been three years", and then having tons of random cross-overs to try to get more readers to read the books that, frankly, DC don't seem to have put that much effort into.

It'd at least give DC a purpose to getting together some pretty nice creative teams. Other than making a quick buck for a couple of months, before fanboys have forgotten about this project again.

Absolutely.

Also, it was suggested for Blue Beetle, it could be like Tales of the Beetle or something, featuring stories of Ted &/or Dan

For the Question, it could show Renee as the current Question, with flashbacks to her mentor Vic Sage (I'd prefer the original Question, but...)

I think this would work well, since it establishes some legacies and appeals to the "old school" fans while connecting to the New DCU

Light blue touchpaper and retire to a safe distance.

I have just read the Minute Men and it is everything you'd expect from a Darwyn Cooke superhero book. Nice to look at, well-written, and structured with respect to the source material (comics of the golden age and Alan Moore's & DC Comics' The Watchmen).

There are some nice visual & style references to Dave Gibbons' work and the additional story elements are quite solid so far.

The pirate story by Len Wein and John Higgins is only two pages and so I reserve judgement.

I kind of wish this was the Earth 2 relaunch rather than a Watchmen thing, but

this is a good start.

I have it on order. Not sure when we get our shipments.

Depends on how they go, I might get some of the others . I will be interested in reviews by you guys.

Got Minutemen today. Some lovely art, in the two or three page pencil sketch sort of bios for the characters. Really good action sketches, especially the one for the character The Silhouette, that, fellows, is worth the buy of this copy just by its lonesome. "She was an avenging angel."

Very nice use of eyes or their absense to indicate character. Lovely layout to give the feel of flowing action over time. Quite beautiful colouring, though it is firmly "comic colouring".

"They all wore hats"

Except Crazy Eddie.

I liked it, hope they can keep it rolling.

So I read the one with the Comedian.

Comedian didn't kill JFK. Blake and JFK were actually bros. He was sidetracked by Hoover into doing a drugs-bust so he couldn't be in Dallas on that day.

He did kill Marilyn Monroe at Jackie K's orders, though.

I actually don't mind it.

I found the Comedian to be a bit obvious.

Silk Spectre is better, but more of a teen girl romance thing, which is not a bad area for DC to move in.

Neither will be on my list next month, does anyone want me to send them these two?

I'd be interested to find out more about in what way it was bad.

Nicely drawn, epic brooding reworking of Batman origin, literate and a decent long read.

My second favourite of the batch so far.

Hmm...Two different reviews.

Ozymandias was the other one I was planning to buy (Minutemen I've bought), but I haven't picked up a copy yet.

I was wondering if I should. Now, I'm just as confused.

OK, that's two for "yes", so now I must check it out.

That kind of logic would have you buying Hellblazer.

But not JLD or Earth 2.

I...I bought all three of those... :sad:

Why am I reading such shitty comics?

I'm not buying Earth-Two ever again though. I can say that. They fooled me after issue #1's horrid debut with promises of homoeroticism, but they can't fool me again after the utter dreck in #3.

Hellblazer and Justice League Dark I'm probably going to keep buying...Hellblazer I just buy so I can laugh and say, "Look what an awful character this John Constantine is. How silly we all were to ever like him."