St. Apathy

Gratuitous Watchmen cash-in

And I should add that I agree that the business DC is feeding is an introspective, dying one and they'd be better letting the likes of Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt develop their own things rather than the same old DCU characters.

Yeah - I don't think you have to agree with DC's snake-eating-its-own-tail business strategy to think that there might be something a tad hypocritical about Moore`s visceral outrage. Doesn't make him any less of a genius, but his history of writing works based on other peoples' characters - which is, lest we forget, pretty much his entire career - makes him one of the least-qualified people in the comics industry to be getting as righteously angry about this sort of thing as he does.

That's not to say that I've got any interest in buying any of these books, you understand...

I agree than Alan is being irrational about the issue, and maybe that is his purpose, he has been burned by DC and just shows them a middle finger. He must know Watchmen are fictional characters, and this kind of beast tends to come back again and again. It's not like DC is rewriting real history or compromising the meaning of the original Watchmen, which was based on a lot of older characters anyway. Moore said it himself that he wouldn't oppose sequels if DC handed him the rights when he asked for them. Now he just unleashes his terrible curse..

It's really hyperbole to say that this is anything of a "nail in the coffin".

That's like saying that DC bringing back Swamp Thing when the character hasn't been in use for a number of years is a "death knell". It's just what the comic corporations do.

DC has seen their sales increase with the "New 52", and with the companies starting the CD route with their monthly comics, I think that will open up new sales.

This Watchmen cash grab will make DC some extra profits, and things will go on.

Yeah, it's a brave gambit for the limited Comics Nerd Dollar, that's for sure.

Incidentally, BD sales are in crisis, having dropped 10%in 3 years.

Their companies' response?

In a nutshell ...

The market for comics in France is in crisis and a sharp decline in 2010. The erosion of the "safe bets" Franco-Belgian series affecting both the fund that is not offset by new growth segment of the manga, now reached saturation and decreases in turn.

To offset declining sales in established series, the editors have greatly increased their production by investing in all segments of the market, and seeking to upgrade their catalog reissues. Moreover, they maintained the initial print runs of titles with strong potential to maximize exposure in the store, even increasing the number of returns. The publishers also continue to introduce many new series on the segment of the manga, to balance the dynamics of erosion and maintain their position.

Finally, the disappointing performance of the Top 50 best sellers in 2010 is the lowest of the decade and only underscores the fragility of the industry today.

Oh, forgot to say, that 10% is 3 million sales out 34 million.

http://www.du9.org/Numerologie-edition-2010

Well, Marvel is changing their approach.

They've decided to axe all low-selling books, cut way back on mini-series, and try to ship their main (or better selling) titles at least twice a month. That way they have an extra guaranteed sale each month.

Really. Well, that is only going to work, (and I am sorry for stating the obvious here, but, internet, ) if they have consistantly good writing.

If the same approach was tried with Hellblazer at present, it would backfire, I fear.

I would suggest that there are just as many people around the world who hold Wendy from Peter Pan sacred, or who might think it untoward that Alan had Mr. Hyde literally sodomize the Invisible Man TO DEATH after the latter serially raped a bunch of girls at a private school. How would Robert Louis Stevenson or H.G. Wells have viewed such a story?

Despite this, somehow, by Alan's lights, that's not just okay, it is right and proper. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it. Alan's a genius, and if it were in my power I'd set him up with a big distribution system, ten million dollars, and publish anything he wrote, up to and including the phone book.

I'm just suggesting that one needs to be consistent in one's moral stance if one wishes that moral stance to be taken seriously.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/02/j-michael-straczynski-i-watchmen-babylon-5/#ixzz1lSR7TBVv

I defy people to read that and not chuckle and say "Ouch, Zing, Burn!".

I'm not sure. Would it?

I mean, HB is probably losing readers, I'll agree.

But, comic book nerds are an obsessive and anxious-ridden lot, who continue to buy their favourite books for completist sake long after their "sale-by" date. Otherwise, most of the Marvel and DC titles would have never survived the late-1990s.

So, if you have x-amount of people reading Iron Man each month, regardless of how unreadable that book is, and you put out two sequential issues each month, instead of just one, the same readers will be buying two Iron Man comics every month.

It really is a guaranteed sale, unless they glut the market so badly that they piss off even their hardcore followers.

So, you put out two issue of crappy HBs each month instead of just one crappy issue, and you get the same readers to pick up a second comic each month.

Yeah, I suppose so. If we got two a month just as "good' as the last one, I would in the end go looking for two better monthly comics, I am sure, but if we had the average "goodness" of Hellblazer twice a month, I would probably do as you say, pick them up.

Here's a fair response

Alan Moore has taken existing characters and put them in situations radically different to those they originated in. A prequel is boring. @akirathedon

Ok, now that fills me with geeky glee. It will also, probably, be the only thing of interest to me in this whole debacle. Just because a) it's Darwyn Cooke. b) there's some interesting stories that could be told about the Minutemen c) it's Darwyn Cooke

That is the stuff!.

The very comic-y style of art for me. if I wanted to watch a movie, I would na of brought a comic book, aye?.

I like how, after a moments observing, it occurs to me Silk Specters' smile and stance and The Comedians slouch and grin are just exactly as much of a threat as the bloke in the forgrounds folded arms and frown are.

"We're superheros. What the fuck are you looking at?".

Moore's response to the charge of hypocrisy is in here:

I'll read these and feel dirty afterward. I'm not entirely against them because they may spark some new ideas in other writers, ironically enough. Some of the art is also very nice.

Moore's response to the charge of hypocrisy is in here:

That bit starts around 19:15. Alan's answer is essentially very brief (see below), preceded by about 5 minutes of expansion, but the expansion is quite interesting.

He acknowledged the tradition of working with characters created by past (essentially, dead) writers, but said [ Spoiler : "With taking comic characters that have been created by cheated old men, I feel that that is different." ]

Obviously you'd be better off listening to his words in context.

Cunning Man, thanks for the link.

Edited by JasonT

Cunning Man, thanks for the link.

No problem. Sorry I didn't give the time he started on that topic. I made a couple of attempts to paraphrase it, but like you said it's better to hear it in context. The whole thing is pretty interesting.

I have some real trouble feeling sorry for Alan Moore on the subject of Watchmen.

Something like V for Vendetta? Definitely.

But, Moore originally wanted to use the Charlton characters, and the editors were the ones who struck down the idea, thinking about future potential profits with the characters and feeling that Moore's vision would dilute any further use of the characters by DC.

If it wasn't for the corporate editors stepping in, worrying about the "bottom line", what would Moore be complaining about? That DC was using Blue Bettle or The Question again?

lol I'm going to assume he'd kill some of them off in an "imaginary story" and DC would keep using them anyway ala 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' Then twenty-five years later he'd say "Contemporary writers using alien squid monsters as psychic bombs only proves this industry is truly devoid of top flight creative talent, as I've been saying since they screwed me out of my 'Batman The Ripper' rights."

I would have preferred if they'd based original heroes on the Watchmen characters as Moore did with the Charlton bunch. DC could have made ongoing series with those that would have been more profitable in the long term, as this is probably only a cash grab anyway. Rather than making recognizable characters unrecognizable out of an editorial obligation to "keep them relevant" I hope somebody in the future still does that. Otherwise you get something like the "Arkham City" Penguin, updated with a cybernetic eye instead of a monocle. Ooo, edgy! :icon_rolleyes:

That's the thing. DC did a lot to get top notch creative teams behind most of these titles, but I feel it's probably all editorial fiat that led to the series in the first place. I doubt most of these creators were crying out to be allowed to dig into the Watchmen universe, in any form. So, the line probably didn't have any future, outside of a cash grab, to start with.

Maybe if DC put as much effort into something that's going to last beyond six months and some quick profits, they'd be in a better position (creatively speaking).

It must be a publicity boost is all I can figure. They're of the "there's no such thing as bad press" school of thought. Have JMS write up a flimsy article calling the detractors irrational to stoke the flames of fan ire, and they're off. If they'd made this sort of hoopla about those hypothetical new Watchmen/Charlton-based series instead, just think of all the praise they could have won.

Excelsior!

Solicits ahoy.

It's of course too early to judge (ha ha try and stop me) but Silk Spectre's line about the world giving you reason to hate runs contrary to her determination to not let awful things happen to her daughter.

Actually, instead of meticulously picking out the flaws in these, I think I'll just drink my way through the whole event. Bottoms up.