St. Apathy

Stuff to watch out for in '12

Apparently Prophet is all kinds of awesome. It's been getting overwhelming high praise. Yes! Prophet. That Cable-lite abomination created by Liefeld. But the they've totally redesigned the thing making it a bit Conan meets John Carter meets Planet of the Apes

Also, the first issue, #21 has sold out and is ready for 2nd printing already

http://www.imagecomics.com/news/142/MAN-OUT-OF-TIME

That sounds pretty cool, actually.

[edit] - and it was pretty good! I thought in some spots that the narrative was unnecessary; that the art was totally conveying the needed parts of the story. Other than that ot was neat. Loved the concept of Gel City.

Digging this out, as the Comic Shop News this week had some upcoming books that have me excited.

First, a never before published Steve Gerber Man-Thing three-parter!

Next, I was happy to see that Brian Wood's The Massive has gotten its own series, so I won't be stuck pondering if I should spend $8 on Dark Horse Presents for five pages of story (not that I planned to do that). Good job, Dark Horse.

Finally, a Rip Hunter Showcase Presents collection. Finally, DC!

Next, I was happy to see that Brian Wood's The Massive has gotten its own series, ...

That's fantastic news! From now on, publicity blurbs can refer to him as Brian "The Massive" Wood.

Stan Sakai will put Usagi Yojimbo on hiatus for a while. That's the bad news. The great news is he's working on an adaptation of story of the 47 Ronin, with Mike Richardson (writer/Dark Horse publish). He will be drawing in more realistic (with humans), yet stylized method, inspired by Japanese woodcut. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

http://video.comicbookresources.com/cbrtv/2012/cbr-tv-wc12-mike-richardson-stan-sakai-tell-the-tale-of-47-ronin/

Next, I was happy to see that Brian Wood's The Massive has gotten its own series, ...

That's fantastic news! From now on, publicity blurbs can refer to him as Brian "The Massive" Wood.

That's why he came up with something called "the Massive" in the first place, Jason. No way was that not deliberate...

The Walking Dead will hit #100, it's a title that's been struggling for a little while now - I'm hoping Kirkman will use the nice big number to wrap up Rick's tale and move onto something a little more interesting.

So my brain is lying to me when it tells me that the last thing it remembers is: [spoiler?] All the adults dying off and leaving just carl and another girl??

DC will launch "National Comics", an anthology featuring new takes on classic characters. First up, Kid Eternity by Lemire & Hamner

The first four in the spotlight will be Eternity, Madame X, Rose and Thorn, and Looker. Each of these will have one issue to introduce the reader to their little corner of the universe, with the hopes of building from there.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/04/national-comics/

I think this sounds like a brilliant idea! How long before they have Lemire on a Kid Eternity monthly?

I'd buy that.

I just hope they don't overwork poor Jeff Lemire trying to create some actually readable books at DC.

Isn't Madame X the first cross-dresser superhero? If so, that's just a wild idea to bring that character back from oblivion.

Oh, no. It looks like it's a Madame Xanadu rip-off character.

Umm...Why create a carbon-copy of the character when you already own that very character? Odd.

Shame it's not the character I was thinking about. That would be a crazy series.

I've never heard of Looker before. Is this a new character? Edgington is writing the story, so it might be good...but the preview says something about a "vampire". Oh god, no, not more DC vampires...

And, in a case of meta-consciousness, Tom Taylor will be writing Rose & Thorn? Hmm...

Looker was a member of the Outsiders back in the 80's i believe. I have no idea what her powers are. I hope they keep this costume though.

159px-Outsiders31.JPG

Oh yeah. I do remember that costume, although I never read The Outsiders.

Ah, yes, according to Wikipedia, she was turned into a vampire at some point.

Bump. How do y'all feel about those predictions now?

... As for Hellblazer, I'd like Milligan to wrap up his run and for someone with something to say through Constantine to take over. ...

Well, you got your wish. I hope you're happy. :tongue:

Certainly can't complain about the final Steve Gerber Man-Thing comic.

I picked up Showcase Presents:Rip Hunter, and while I haven't finished it as of yet, it's been quite a number of fun stories. They just start to read the same when read in one sitting, hence why I'm taking my time.

Brian "The Massive" Wood is ok. For a book that he wrote simply to create a nick-name for himself, it reads better than you'd expect. Nah. It's had a slow start. It hasn't blown me away. It has recently begun to improve though. I have no idea where Wood means to take this book though.

Bump. How do y'all feel about those predictions now?

... As for Hellblazer, I'd like Milligan to wrap up his run and for someone with something to say through Constantine to take over. ...

Well, you got your wish. I hope you're happy. :tongue:

This is all McMahon's fault! Like some sort of perverse unlucky Leprachaun!

That can't be. You mean The Burning? Surely that could have only been an attempt to work in our favor? What would Alan Moore do?