JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #287

HELLBLAZER #287

Written by PETER MILLIGAN

Art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and STEFANO LANDINI

2165238-287_super.jpg

John Constantine is going to Hell and back – this time, it’s a favor to his niece Gemma, who happens to be in deep and dirty with London gangster (and Constantine’s father-in-law) Terry Greaves. A farting demon, a suspicious angel, a Hellish aquarium, and an old adversary all await Constantine in “Another Season in Hell.”

This is the first issue of Hellblazer available day and date digitally

Fart Jokes!

Continuity Mining!

Stammering!

Liked the first few pages but it fell apart quite badly after that, haven't read the last issue yet and this one offered up no real explanation for John's trip into hell.

Fart Jokes!

Continuity Mining!

Stammering!

Liked the first few pages but it fell apart quite badly after that, haven't read the last issue yet and this one offered up no real explanation for John's trip into hell.

Your three suggested explanations work for me.

I am disenfranchised by your poll.

I bought a copy. I said I wouldn't but then I did. I'm so weak inside.

I will PM you my phone number so you can call me before the next issue is on sale.

Meanwhile read this

http://web.archive.org/web/20070207232848/http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=387

In deference to this thread, I skimmed through in the comic shop.

No idea what the story is about, but anyone who ever criticised Andy Diggle or Mike Carey for their strip-mining of continuity will hate this.

Is the farting demon one from Garth Ennis's run on The Demon ?

That is hilarious Ade. I answered Yes to several of those questions. I am ging to need your number.

That farting demon does look familiar. Was he in the demon yuppy issue way way back?

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to come back in time for this story-arc. The store didn't get their delivery (no comic shop in Flint got HB this week, is it something telling me someone?), and I was upset.

"Two weeks? Really?". That's how long I have to wait for the store to get their order.

I was thinking I was missing out.

Then, I had to quench my curiosity by reading this thread...now I wish I would have kept HB off of my pull-list.

Two weeks to wait for something that's probably going to make me drop the title all over again!

Damn.

Well, I'll be buying the print version when the book arrives.

I too was weak and bought this. I haven't not checked Hellblazer for awhile now. I thought, why not? New arc, nice cover, decently looking arc. And then I read it. Ugh...haven't I read this sort of thing before...maybe a few times. The reveal of the big bad at the end just seemed lazy

Given the promos for this arc ('most horrifying arc ever in the canon' or summat) and the fact that it deals with a major hanging plot thread, I borrowed issue 287. I won't be back for 288.

Briefly:

• Of course no writer can ever depict Hell adequately, but this depiction was weak and overfamiliar.
  • Not sure what the point of the bit with Terry was... is it to show us John is powerless?
  • The sequence with the obvious disguised demon (and a suddenly-naive John) could have been dropped without affecting anything.
  • Don't care about the final panel "reveal" which was spoiled by this forum.
  • For me, nothing to get me curious about next issue.

There are far worse comics being published, it's just that I don't feel the need to comment on them.

Another shitty issue from a who-gives-a-shit writer in Peter Milligan. And as perdicted, no doubt.

May this arc be your last one, motherfucker!

This has a lot more promise than the last storyline. And it may just be the warm glow of nostalgia, but this is looking up. I do want to see what Milligan does with the First. I do want to see John get kicked around in Hell again. I didn't mind the tepid and staid Hell. Negative points for needlessly repeating the good line from last issue.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the story, which is still vastly better than JLD.

Although Johnny's saying "ain't" a lot. What's with that?

I too cringed at the farting demon, but once it was gone, I didn't cringe again until the unfortunate trixter demon who tried to convince us he were an angel before you-know-who waltzed in at the end. At first, I thought it was one of Gaiman's angels left to watch after hell once Lucifer got his own title, but no.

The tone of the book has been set some 25 issues ago (has it really been that long?..), and there is really not much to add. It is somewhat enjoyable, but there are no stakes, some parts are pure fillers, like Milligan is just treading the water and that's just sad. I still read it but i can't say that i'm into it. Just a fun read. I started reading Mike Carey's run again to see if perhaps i'm just getting cranky, but no, Mike's stories are still good. And what on Earth happened with Marcelo Frusin?? Anyway, as much as i like Milligan, i'm looking forward to some changes...

I liked.

Nice to see old Blathoxi again - admittedly a bit of continuity wank, but why not. If you're offended by fart demons, blame Delano.

As for the FoF - he has been badly used post-Ennis, but I want to see what old Milligoon can do with him.

Trip to hell - not the most interesting ever, but far from the worst.

Wasn't too bad, I suppose.

just wasn't very good.

One thing really fucked me off though.Nothing about Hell should appear to faze John. Someone who could calmly go bait a top gangster in a shithouse where there were no witnesses, and not look worried, deliberately as a matter of policy not look worried, would play the same psychological trick when he was in hell. Seriously, he would BE worried every single time he got within Terrys reach, anyone would, but he is mr Confidence Trick, last thing he would ever do is show weakness in front of the enemy, that is suicide.

And to have him bleat on about the smell of hell, fark, what toss, compared to entities being in eternal torment all about you, the smell is nothing, people work in sewers and don't allow their faces to register it, as, again, a psychological trick. "This isn't affecting me, I am tough".

If there was one place on earth ( sorry, too obvious a joke ) that John must, absolutely must play his confidence card it would be in hell. He wouldn't stutter and flinch, it would be stupid if The Constantine wasn't above that, faced with hell. After all, he knows going in that people he cares about are there, in torment, and all the rest, it stands to reason he would just never give the enemies he has there the "in" of a weak reaction.

In fact, we KNOW this is how John deals with hell, he has done it sucessfully before.

Read the last couple of issues but can't really work up the energy to care. A few thoughts:

1- The soap opera structuring would work if Milligan had a cast of more than four people. 'Incestuous' is an unfortunate term to use after #275, but...

2- Continuity errors in the 'look who John's meeting in Hell' bit, inevitably.

3- Milligan still hasn't got a handle on John's character, as pointed out above.

4- When was the last time Milligan's Hellblazer stories actually built to a proper climax? He just has a lot of stuff happen - one after another or all at the same time, it doesn't appear to matter - with no sense of drama or pacing. It's like standing in an eternal drizzle, until your clothes are sodden and you can no longer feel the cold, or the water hitting your skin.

Oh well. The Annual next. People liked that one, right?

Anyone have any ideas why lately, if the writers have a good handle on John's character (like I thought Mina had), they can't seem to write a decent story featuring that character? Or if they manage a decent story, they get John's character all wrong? Why can't anyone get it all together, like Carey did? If its not obvious, Carey was my favorite writer, with Delano and Ennis neck and neck at 2 and 3.

But I felt like Mina got hold of John's character right off, yet she seldom put him in a position that we the reader should even care about. I'm fully on board with the concept that the world lacks empathy, but good lord. And I kind of liked some of Milligan's earlier efforts at story telling, yet never really liked his version of John. And of course, I haven't really enjoyed his storytelling lately, either, other than the annual, which was quite good.

Certainly compared to recent episodes, and in retrospect, D. Mina did have a good grasp of Johns basic flaws/strengths.