Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Marvel Screws Over Creator of Ghost Rider

That is awful, but not unexpected.

There's been a long conflict about the creation of Ghost Rider though.

There's a dispute about creators, as both Roy Thomas and Gary Friedrich claim to have created the character, from what I've heard.

Thomas saying they worked together to co-create the character as, basically, a "work for hire" project, while Friedrich claimed that he had created the concept by himself prior to working at Marvel. I believe that's how the dispute went.

But, I guess the court ruling from the Friedrich case stated that Friedrich actually signed a second contract after the creation of Ghost Rider, in 1978, which reads that "Marvel owns all rights of any kind and nature in and to the work".

didn't marvel recently dump stan lee, too. he's doing stuff for other publishers, i see.

I am going to have to watch this film at the cinema. It's the only way Lou K will learn.

Could you do it? Could you sit through that drek just to teach me a lesson? :laugh:

This is one flick I won't have a hard time boycotting.

It is horrible business, however, capitalisim is horrible, business.

It is no different to any other business decision that happens day by day.

Selling water for more than fuel, and then using your argument of "the city ought to support its businessmen" to force the removal of public taps . . .

No, much and all as it seems unfair in this case and of course it does, it is a bit off suddenly raising up to help this one fella, when really the fault is business practice in a profit led regime.

I am going to have to watch this film at the cinema. It's the only way Lou K will learn.

Could you do it? Could you sit through that drek just to teach me a lesson? :laugh:

Damn, foiled!

give the man a cigar...Red, you are correct. first, they benefit the publisher more than creator, and second, they are arbitrarily enforced.

give the man a cigar...Red, you are correct. first, they benefit the publisher more than creator, and second, they are arbitrarily enforced.

In Norway you just cannot transfer the "creator's right". You may sell the right to publish a certain book/comic/record, but the original idea is ever and always your own. So if you want to make NEW products based on the same idea/character/whatever, noone can stop you. Which makes a lot more sense in my book.

Can you sell or transfer it?. I mean, if the company that you publish for wanted to offer you money right at the start for you to include your "creator's right", are you allowed to sell and it be an enforcable sale?.

I ask for two reasons. One, I was wondering if it was more like many aspects of New Zealand law than it was like aspects of US law, we here have many things, protections, etc, in which the law superceeds any "contract" two people may enter into.

An example is the supposed "Agreement" that shops post on their entrance where "Entering our premises means you agree that we may stop and search you and your bags as you leave". This is completely un-enforcable because the Law of the Land states that no-one other than a person holding the Crowns Warrent may either search nor detain you without your consent. So while you can make a contract like this with your customers, you can't enforce it.

So I was wondering if your law that way about creator rights was the same, people are perfectly able to make the deals, but the Law of the Land means they can't be enforced?.

Which leads to my second reason for asking if you are allowed to sell or transfer your creator right. If you are, then surely ( at least the American style of business suggests so ) the big publishing companies would just put a sale clause in the contract they make with all the eager-to-be-published comic creators?. The power is entirely in the hands of the publishers in almost every case.

Can you sell or transfer it?. I mean, if the company that you publish for wanted to offer you money right at the start for you to include your "creator's right", are you allowed to sell and it be an enforcable sale?.

In Norway you just cannot transfer the "creator's right". You may sell the right to publish a certain book/comic/record, but the original idea is ever and always your own. So if you want to make NEW products based on the same idea/character/whatever, noone can stop you. Which makes a lot more sense in my book.

:hattip:

Basically, we make a legal distinction between creator's right and copyright. One is transferable via contract, the other isn't.

So even if you wanted to, you could not sell it. Which makes some small sense I suppose, like a lot of Scandanavian legislation tends to.

After all, Ennis is to blame for The Boys and will be so till the end of time, regardless of any and all corporate shennigans that might pass a court of law.