A. Heathen

Dear reader, I marred him.

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you reading Hellblazer monthly comics?

• Yes, it is on my pull list
    • yes, i borrow a friends
    • no, but i steal it off the internet
    • no
  2. 2. Are you buying Hellblazer collections or graphic novels

• yes, i buy them all as they arrive.
    • yes, i am buying only the ones i did not have
    • only the original graphic novels
    • no
    • i am thieving them off the internet
  3. 3. How many issues of Hellblazer have you owned?*

• less than half
    • 50 % to almost all
    • every issue - before Milligan
    • every issue
    • every issue including crossovers
    • none
  4. 4. What is your current status vis a vis Hellblazer

• Buying it regularly
    • Buying certain issues
    • Buying JL:Dumbeddown
    • Not buying since Milligan
    • Not buying since other (please state below)
    • Not buying until Straight to Hell says it is better
    • Not buying until Miiligan leaves
  5. 5. Finally, what should Vertigo do with Hellblazer

• make it DCU
    • make it a quarterly with longer stories in each
    • cancel it
    • nothing

You know, the ones about The Hellblazer.

In the question about owning the comics, do you still have them ?

In the penultimate question select all that apply.

No apologies for the loaded last question. Make any other suggestions here.

It's on my pull and I still grab I every month but I hate it. Holding out hope they'll just get a new creative team.

I have every issue from one until 287 with a few of those being collected in TPBs (Dangerous Habits, Original Sins, Damnation's Flame). All the rest are floppies.

I bought all of the OGNs that came out.

Just get a damn new creative team already. Preferably one that cares and can get a grip on the character. Kill Phoebe.

Yeah, i think the final question needs to have a "New Creative Team" option. because i answered nothing, but that's not really how i feel. I'd like more single issue stories in the monthly format, done by a new team.

I still reckon Milligan's the most interesting long-term writer since Ennis (and that's with provisos, given that much of Ennis' early run was crap), but have come to realise that I seem to be in the minority here. Anyone who professes to prefer Carey, however, is grievously wrong - he was the absolute nadir in by-the-numbers boring bollocks.

The book's been on a steady downhill climb since Carey. Well, we'll ignore Mina, which I'm not sure where to place her.

Carey's run was dull until the end, for me.

Diggle's run ended up as a mess.

Milligan's run is basically unreadable.

Chuck Austen must be next in line for the book, at this rate.

Anyway....

The book is on my pull-list again, even though I haven't enjoyed any of Milligan's stories since the beginning (excluding the annual).

I own every appearance of John Constantine. EVAR! And, in comic format, no Trades for me.

Except for the OGNs, which are not TPBs, I own them too.

I went with make the book quarterly, I meant with revolving creative teams also. Hopefully, either taking place in different perids of John's life, or the first story-arc will be the "untimely" divorce issue.

Kill Phoebe in a way that J.C. simply can not work out, possibly never works out, is a mystery not only to him, but to the reader, but he/we know was "Enemy Action".

Get him blamed for it, imprisoned for it, doubting his own innocence to himself about, and then set him off on a massive fury-driven hunt through all of creation, gloves off and all his years of lore, and experience focused through his cynicism to a white hot no prisoners rage, which he would prefer because the calm collect rational view of her death would be,

Yes, John, your selfish need for a cheer-leader did actual kill yet one more person who loved/trusted you,

so that, because he can't bear that any more, finally he gets good and broken, beyond repair or the readers sympathy.

'Cause, as the man said, happy families make for piss poor novels. or something. What good is a Happy Hellblazer to us?. And why would a person who knows what he knows, stay sane?. Hell Shock and Post Tartarus Stress Disorder.

Now that we're off the magic mac, I'm finding it's a decent series again. I don't mind Epiphany, and hope that Milligan will find some way other than making her dead or making it never happen. Even leaving it for the next writer would be more interesting than that.

Milligan, sa far feels middle of the road. I remember the crap that was Mina, and Azzarello, and you know what? Milligan doesn't bother me. Maybe it's just that it seems like unearthly brilliance in comparison to Justice League Dark. I dropped Swamp Thing because it spend months doing nothing and then showing up on a motorcycle thinking that motion was action.

I own just about every appearance I can get my hands on. And the Internets know what a fucking nerd I am.

I don't think any run on Hellblazer has been crap, even though an increasing number of them are not what I want. Even Denise's run must have hit the spot for a fair number of readers.

I agree with Tim that Mike's era had a kind of by-the-numbers feel to it — IIRC I said here that he was keeping a franchise ticking over — but he did a damn good job of it.

In the question about owning the comics, yes. :wink:

Kill Phoebe in a way that J.C. simply can not work out, possibly never works out, is a mystery not only to him, but to the reader, but he/we know was "Enemy Action".

I just like this idea. Let's stop there.

John arrives home. In Milligan's best authentic human being voice, John says, "Oh my word. Phoebe is dead. Somehow, I blame myself for this and feel deep hatred in my soul for her ever coming into my tainted life."

Then, a panel later, John thinks, "Well, I can't figure out who killed Phoebe. Perhaps, we'll never know."

Then, no one mentions Phoebe again.

Maybe somewhere down the road, when HB is stuck for story ideas again, a writer will dredge up Phoebe, and John will journey to Hell to discover from Phoebe's soul what happened on that night, and the mystery will finally be resolved. Maybe.

On the other hand, John could always sell his soul to the First and agree to give up his marriage in return for his sister coming back to life. I like to call this story-arc "One More Day in Hell".

It can lead to a totally new and fresh direction for HB. They can get four writers to write the title and have it come out bi-monthly, and call it The Spectacular Hellblazer.

Kill Phoebe?

Put her in a refrigerator in Hell?

I'm not reading the comic, so perhaps she's back or these posts have travelled through time from 30 issues ago?

Indeed that's linked to my solution to this business.

Have these three years rebooted under the explanation that Shade's madness caused it.

Epiphany becomes a figment of Constantine's deranged mind.

Better still, blame the empathy bug and reboot to when Constantine gave up magic.

Besides Azzarello and Mina, all of the writers have had their share of trademark serving stories, with varying degrees of "success" *

In fact, when I dropped the book last Azzarello had written some of the best Hellblazer ever, but his longer arc was awful and dropping it at Doglick meant I was spared POV Sex Club Tales.

It's often the longer stories that fail people in Hellblazer. Perhaps because we want something different and they are not going to change during those arcs.

I liked Carey's and Diggle's, I do not like Milligan's.

But Milligan has lost me on his treatment of existing supporting characters and the overall feel of the book too.

(*DISCLAIMER: everyone measures this differently and Jason's right to identify this as opinion not quality.)

Haha shows you how much attention I am giving this rag. By kill Phoebe I meant kill Piph. John doesn't need a sidekick.

I like the quarterly idea a lot. Four nice fat (I'm thinking the size of one of the crime ogns, not the annuals) self contained stories a year. That should stop most of the continuity mining, and would encourage them to try different writers and artists.

Haha shows you how much attention I am giving this rag. By kill Phoebe I meant kill Piph. John doesn't need a sidekick.

I don't know the names either.

Milligan doesn't writer characters who act believably or that even he seems to really care about, so why should the readers remember?

Sadly, my humourous bad fan-fiction was really damn close to the plot of the current issue of HB.

Yeah, I meant Piphie too. Pippy long-septum-piercings.

Nothing against the girl, but the title don't say "Hellblazer and Missus". Plus, she is too young for him.

In fact, when I dropped the book last Azzarello had written some of the best Hellblazer ever, but his longer arc was awful and dropping it at Doglick meant I was spared POV Sex Club Tales.

lol. Bet you are sorry now, that was some quality story telling. :tongue:

I just like this idea. Let's stop there.

John arrives home. In Milligan's best authentic human being voice, John says, "Oh my word. Phoebe is dead. Somehow, I blame myself for this and feel deep hatred in my soul for her ever coming into my tainted life."

Then, a panel later, John thinks, "Well, I can't figure out who killed Phoebe. Perhaps, we'll never know."

Then, no one mentions Phoebe again.

Maybe somewhere down the road, when HB is stuck for story ideas again, a writer will dredge up Phoebe, and John will journey to Hell to discover from Phoebe's soul what happened on that night, and the mystery will finally be resolved. Maybe.

I will do you one better. Once the deed is done we see a the person responsible standing in the shadows....to be revealed....as John Constantine. Yes, the DCU New 52 John. Then all he says is "alright ya bitchy woman, get to it" and end credits

Started falling out of love with the title somewhere in the middle of Carey's run (around about the time we were treated to the sight of Armoured Swamp Thing's Mighty Codpiece), managed to struggle through to some of Andy's before knocking it on the head and taking a breather (the second after Azzarello's stint) and then returning for Milligan's debut.

Thought Scab was up there with the best of Hellblazer in a good long while but it all fell apart again pretty quickly - started paying for the series again now that's available to buy day and date digitally.

Phoebe is already dead! I see that it was corrected to Epiphany, but no one put that Phoebe was actually already dead. John spent much of Milligan's run trying to resurrect her before settling down with Piffy.

I thought Carey's run was among the best of Hellblazer. All His Engines ranks as one of my favorite comic releases of all time. It is outstanding!

As much I enjoyed Delano's run (and have him 2nd with Ennis a close 3rd), there was some of his run that I had little use for. It's just that his strongest stories were outstanding, same with Ennis. But Heartland, for example. I had very little patience with the story of Kit. I think it's a shame that Jenkins' run has been forgotten. He is all over the place, and some of the subject matter makes me go "huh?" But to have his stories completely forgotten so that Diggle or Milligan come along and rewrite Hellblazer history is a shame. John should not have any demon blood in him, but he does doesn't he? Or does he? I'm fucking confused now.

Phoebe is already dead! I see that it was corrected to Epiphany, but no one put that Phoebe was actually already dead. John spent much of Milligan's run trying to resurrect her before settling down with Piffy.

John should not have any demon blood in him, but he does doesn't he? Or does he? I'm fucking confused now.

I think Ade made mention of the fact that Phoebes is dead.

As for the blood, he got it, he lost it, and he got it back when he fucked Ellie (really dumb, I know, but so was the idea that he ditched it). Not sure what happened after that, I just assume he still has it. Hell, wasn't that what City of Demons was about?

Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks. And sorry, I missed Ade's mention of dead Pheeb.

John should not have any demon blood in him, but he does doesn't he? Or does he? I'm fucking confused now.

I think Ade made mention of the fact that Phoebes is dead.

As for the blood, he got it, he lost it, and he got it back when he fucked Ellie (really dumb, I know, but so was the idea that he ditched it). Not sure what happened after that, I just assume he still has it. Hell, wasn't that what City of Demons was about?

That's another things that's getting so damn annoying about all this digging up continuity in HB.

The writers basically use whatever continuity they choose anyway.

Has John sold his soul to the First, or has he not? Because, it seems to me that he's selling that damn thing during every creative team's run. Let's just not use the First anymore, instead of picking and choosing what continuity to use.

Does John have demon blood or not? Oh, he wants to get rid of it now. Oh, he wants it back now. Oh, now he doesn't want it. What purpose does it even serve the stories? Let's just let John be a normal human.

How about Demon John? Can he just leave Hell whenever he chooses? Why? Forget Demon John. He's meant to be left in Hell to serve a purpose during Jenkins' run, and now he's being used as a recurring villain.