A. Heathen

Dear reader, I marred him.

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you reading Hellblazer monthly comics?

• Yes, it is on my pull list
    • yes, i borrow a friends
    • no, but i steal it off the internet
    • no
  2. 2. Are you buying Hellblazer collections or graphic novels

• yes, i buy them all as they arrive.
    • yes, i am buying only the ones i did not have
    • only the original graphic novels
    • no
    • i am thieving them off the internet
  3. 3. How many issues of Hellblazer have you owned?*

• less than half
    • 50 % to almost all
    • every issue - before Milligan
    • every issue
    • every issue including crossovers
    • none
  4. 4. What is your current status vis a vis Hellblazer

• Buying it regularly
    • Buying certain issues
    • Buying JL:Dumbeddown
    • Not buying since Milligan
    • Not buying since other (please state below)
    • Not buying until Straight to Hell says it is better
    • Not buying until Miiligan leaves
  5. 5. Finally, what should Vertigo do with Hellblazer

• make it DCU
    • make it a quarterly with longer stories in each
    • cancel it
    • nothing

I read the comic in fits and starts. Generally I forget it exists, remember after a few months, read three or four issues and then forget again. This from a guy who, five or so years ago, had a genuinely encyclopaedic knowledge of the comic.

I download them illegally because I live in China and there's no legal source of physical copies, but now DC's got digital sales up and running I really ought to buy them. I'll look into that in... probably a few months, when it's time for my next big burst of reading.

Made a point of owning every issue and trade until Diggle, then moved to Dubai, which took me out of the trade game. Made a valiant attempt to pick it back up when I moved back to the UK briefly in 2010, but a: I was poor and unemployed, and b: the comic was rubbish by that point. Now I don't really care about having a proper collection any more (and, you know... China).

Milligan, sa far feels middle of the road. I remember the crap that was Mina, and Azzarello, and you know what? Milligan doesn't bother me.

Azzarello at least had the advantage of a couple of really good stories, and Mina had some genuinely excellent ideas but was let down by editorial. Milligan's an experienced writer but I don't think he's managed a single Hellblazer story that's lit my fire, and I can't recall an idea from his run that has been particularly clever or innovative.

Carey had the last genuinely excellent run (re-read Red Sepulchre the other week and it is still outstanding), but it dragged a bit after #200, when the relentless plotting made it a bit of a grind.* Could have done with a few character-based breather issues, but that's not really Carey's thing.**

John lost the demon blood in Jenkins' run, got it back through Ellie in the same, and somewhere around Diggle everyone forgot that it was Ellie's, not Nergal's blood. Hey ho.

* Different from Milligan's thing, mind you. From issue 200 to issue 212 it's basically a single enormous story, whereas Milligan tends to write three-to-four issue arcs that are layered over each other. So I don't get the interest exhaustion that I got from Carey (and Mina and Diggle), but it also leads to the comic lacking any major dramatic peaks.

** Not that he can't craft characters, but his stories strike me as being very plot-driven and action-centric. I can't imagine him pulling an Ennis and just having John hang out chatting with a few mates for 21 pages.

I re-read Red Sepulchre about 2 months ago, and enjoyed it as much if not more than the first time I read it.

When a writer is done on this book, do many of them consider returning to write another story or two, I wonder? Carey has done it once and Delano has done it twice? 3 times? Azarello did that xmas thing long after his run ended. I wouldn't mind another double dip from a previous writer making an encore.

You're really mad keen on another Denise Mina or Jason Aaron story?

:icon_wink:

(That said, I wouldn't say no to more John Smith or Eddie Campbell myself...)

Yeah, we've seen everyone worthy except Jenkins return for a "nostalgia story".

I wouldn't mind seeing Jenkins come back for a story-arc, but I don't think any of the other writers who haven't been back need a second time on the book.

John Smith coming back for a lengtheir run, based on the strength of his one story, could be a good read.