A. Heathen

Hellblazer beyond #300

She did.

Why that should be an issue when all the story that put Batgirl in a wheelchair had going for it in the first place was some nice Bolland art, I can't imagine.

I rather liked Killing Joke.

But I read the 1st couple of issues of Batgirl and it was pretty damn good. Not being familiar with the character much the retcon didn't faze me, especially given 52's weird attitude towards continuity.

a) She didn't actually come up with the idea, she just writes the post-reboot Batgirl book.

b) The main reason anyone is actually upset about the change in the first place is because of all the superb work Simone herself had done with the Oracle character over the previous decade or more. With all due respect to John Ostrander and Chuck Dixon, without Simone's run on Birds of Prey wheelchair-era Barbara Gordon would have remained little more than an Alan Moore plot device who appeared for a little while in a few largely forgotten '90s titles, and superhero comics would have been the poorer for it. Getting upset with Gail for 'destroying' the character seems more than a little churlish, considering how instrumental she was in 'creating' her in the first place.

c) This has fuck-all to do with Hellblazer pre- or post-300. Sorry.

There appears to be a rumour about Gail Simone and Hellblazer on Bleeding Cool but I cannot access the relevant page.

There is also Karen Berger's "BIG CHANGES" statement from that comic con you americans all had recently.

Not much else.

Not all to happy with Gail since de-cripplegate

I'm not too keen on her taking over HB mostly due to my lacklustre feelings regarding the Batgirl book, for which I had high hopes. Especially since my #1 pet peeve is Barbara Gordon's crappy inner monologue, and that is something that is essential to Hellblazer. Still, I'd rather she get her shot (we need more talented ladies writing HB) than to have Milligan for a few more years.

Yeah - I really do rate Simone as a writer, but her strengths don't really align with anything I'd particularly want to see in Hellblazer. Mind you, I'd be happy to see a one-shot from her, just to see if she could make it work.

I'm honestly not sure who I'd like to see replace Milligan - but then, I'm pretty out-of-touch with who's who among the current generation of up-and-coming writers, and there's no-one from the old guard I'd particularly want to see who hasn't either already had their go or would be unlikely to get the gig anyway. Maybe Kieron Gillen, if he's not on an exclusive contract at Marvel.

I'm pretty sure Gillen is. He's writing the Iron Man relaunch, for one.

I'd feel the same way about Gillen as I would about Simone. It just seems like an odd fit.

I know Gillen wrote Phonogram, but that seems so long ago now. I think of him as working on books like X-Men or Iron Man now. Needless to say, it's a style that wouldn't fit well with Hellblazer.

Mark - howsabout China Mieville? His short story in #250 was all kinds of ace, had a very.... different, progressive agenda towards the character.

Mieville would be something of a dream choice. But as I've said before, I think he's wasted on franchise characters. If he wants to keep on writing comics - and he seems to be pretty good at it - I'd be more keen to see him come up with a creator-owned new title. But if he could manage to squeeze in that AND still have time to write Hellblazer...absolutely. Yes please.

Oh, I'll second that, but I'd rather have him do Hellblazer, than the Dial H for Hero reboot. Hell, give him someone like Frazer Irving for the first arc, and you might get nearly half the hype that was gathered when Azz and Corben did hard Time.

I'd actually rather see him on Dial H, I think...

I know. I know. Just any enthusiasm I have for HB has been killed years ago.

I'm thinking, "Dial H. One of the few New 52 books I like. That kinda Steve Gerber feel to it. Yeah, I'll take that over HB at this point."

I'm not sure if it would get the hype either. Dial H didn't get any hype, even though it was Mieville's first monthly comics title.

You'd think DC might have done more to hype the fact that a multiple award winning fantasy/science fiction author was writing one of their comics, but they seemed to have no intention of letting non-fans know who this China guy is.

I was gonna suggest Ian Edginton or Alec Worley. But I once suggested Peter Milligan, so take no notice.

I was gonna suggest Ian Edginton or Alec Worley. But I once suggested Peter Milligan, so take no notice.

It's all your fault! *runs like a lil girl to his room*

I don't want there to be a Hellblazer beyond 300. Euthanize the poor old sod. What kind of life could he possibly have now that Milligan has irreparably damaged everything good about John. Our friend, the mage, lies in a hospital bed in a mental vegetative state with no hope he'll pull out of it. He's on life support which he could not possibly survive without it. Pull the plug, send John on his way, mercifully.

I haven't been reading the books due to financial reasons, but damn. This place seems to be the only place I've seen that hate Milligan's run so much. Other spots I've been to or lurked seem to love his run.

As for beyond 300 and they change writers, give me David Hine! Though it doesn't seem like he'll be working for the Big 2 any time soon.

I don't want there to be a Hellblazer beyond 300. Euthanize the poor old sod. What kind of life could he possibly have now that Milligan has irreparably damaged everything good about John. Our friend, the mage, lies in a hospital bed in a mental vegetative state with no hope he'll pull out of it. He's on life support which he could not possibly survive without it. Pull the plug, send John on his way, mercifully.

I think the book could easily be saved. Just eliminate all the continuity garbage, and go the route that the book took between Delano and Ennis. It was a completely fresh re-start with no reference between writer's runs.

I think a book like HB is fairly easy to fix, unlike the superhero titles which are so heavily mired in decades of continuity. HB hardly used any continuity until Mike Carey's run.

Of course that would still take a good writer to salvage the title.

I'm not so far away from wishing for the end, myself, honestly. But, that would all depend on sales.

I don't want to take away something that other people love solely for selfish reasons...like the fact that the book actually sucks. The majority will obviously do the speaking, not a minority opinion (even if it's the correct one).

Besides pondering ways that the book might improve, I have no problem with the thought that Pete Milligan is writing a book that is for other people. Certain aspects may be well written, but the setting of the current tales does not interest me.

Even with Mike Carey's use of continuity, that was not the skeleton of all the stories as it has been for the past couple of years. "The Coat", "The New Family", "The Constantine Family". Milligan's (and Andy Diggle's) most past continuity-laden issues bring in new previously unknown aspects of the Constantine story. But it's the Phany & John tale which leaves me cold.

Each writer brings their own continuity, although it might be said that Warren Ellis merely created good new supporting characters with little need for developing them as ongoing regular cast members, and Andy Diggle mostly focused on updating Constantine. It still disappoints me that following writers rejected the very interesting places that Diggle and Carey left the character of John Constantine.

It's no coincidence that my favourite stories by Milligan are Scab and Suicide Bridge.

Dear DC,

Don't listen to anything Jason says.

Your pal,

Lou K

No, DO listen, but then do mostly the opposite.

Besides pondering ways that the book might improve, I have no problem with the thought that Pete Milligan is writing a book that is for other people. Certain aspects may be well written, but the setting of the current tales does not interest me.

Even with Mike Carey's use of continuity, that was not the skeleton of all the stories as it has been for the past couple of years. "The Coat", "The New Family", "The Constantine Family". Milligan's (and Andy Diggle's) most past continuity-laden issues bring in new previously unknown aspects of the Constantine story. But it's the Phany & John tale which leaves me cold.

Each writer brings their own continuity, although it might be said that Warren Ellis merely created good new supporting characters with little need for developing them as ongoing regular cast members, and Andy Diggle mostly focused on updating Constantine. It still disappoints me that following writers rejected the very interesting places that Diggle and Carey left the character of John Constantine.

It's no coincidence that my favourite stories by Milligan are Scab and Suicide Bridge.

Those are my favourite stories also. The only stories by Milligan I've enjoyed, and I actually rank them rather highly also. I found no fault with either story. If Milligan's entire run had read roughly along the quality of those stories, his run would have been a classic in my book.

But, for me, they're just well written stories. I think they're timeless tales for John Constantine. I see very little overt continuity in either story.

Also, what is the opposite of an Ian Edginton? :smile:

I haven't been reading the books due to financial reasons, but damn. This place seems to be the only place I've seen that hate Milligan's run so much. Other spots I've been to or lurked seem to love his run.

I've recently discovered that while Facebook is more like the other places that love Milligan, there is a fair amount of individuals there who have grown weary of Milligan and have seemingly hopped on to the anti-Milligan bandwagon. Tumblr, however, is a lost cause. Tumblr is home to the Milliganites and neo-Keanusteens. You should have seen them bite and scartch when this was posted:

tumblr_mcr1lsJeIo1qm8lnwo1_500.png

Same here, though I liked most of Hooked, too. But in Hooked, I starting seeing signs of the title's demise, like the whole "back in the nuthouse" and the thumb thing and the inclusion of Shade, which was totally self indulgent on Milligan's behalf. And I kind of like Epiphany as she was written before the wedding. I found her charming in a dirty girl kind of way, though I did prefer Phoebe as John's equal. But as with all of the early good in Milligan's run, Piffy has become an inconsistent story device to make John overly emotional on every level in order to sell Milligan's bullshit. "Hey, I know. Let's change the character completely to tell the story I want to tell."

Dear DC,

Don't listen to anything Jason says.

Your pal,

Lou K

No, DO listen, but then do mostly the opposite.

Yes, do as Ade says.