Sign in to follow this  
jaynova

I love Grant Morrison, but...

Christian    750

The next issue would be for February (Jan. is the handbook), and that's listed as the Masterman issue (world of Nazis). That features the Freedom Fighters, so it won't be in that issue.

If it's from the January issue, it looks like it'll be from one of the alternate Earths that Morrison isn't using in the Multiversity series proper, but it exists out there.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,131

http://frazerirving....-signing-copies

Fluke Blitzkrieg@dstransmissions Sep 20

@frazerirving Dude, your Multiversity variant is amazing. Who *are* those guys? I spotted Fate, Superdemon and Hell Blazer but...

@
frazerirving

@dstransmissions klarion, ragman, deadman, enchantress, zatanna. And swamp thing in the bg.

• Upvote 3

dogpoet    455

Didn't he write a couple of issues already, back when people still gave a stuff about Spawn?

Balthazar    172

Yeah, he wrote the issues where the Redeemer first shows up. Spawn has been so damn crappy since McFarlane dropped Hine and took over the book himself again. He had Brian Wood announced to write the book but it seems he was dropped for possibly Morrison.

Lou K    1,061

Rumor has it Morrison may be writing Spawn.

I will straight up shit myself, real talk.

Lou K    1,061

Didn't he write a couple of issues already, back when people still gave a stuff about Spawn?

Yeah but so did Gaiman, Moore and Miller and they were all shit. I swear Spawn could be good if Todd just stayed the fuck away. See: Spawn The Undead.

I can't believe I am going to bat for Spawn here.

Lou K    1,061

Anyways drunk triple post, no fucks given.

I have never read a Captain Marvel book in my life. Thunderworld was one of the best comic books I ever read. How the fuck does he do that?

Christian    750

So, that was the Grant Morrison Miracleman story that's been unpublished all these years. Hardly a waste that it didn't see the light of day. Hardly something to pay $4.99 to see.

It wasn't that it was a bad story, it was just that it wasn't much of a story. I'm surprised it wasn't finished at some point and thrown in with the Apocrypha collections that were published.

The editor at Marvel made the story seem to be a lot more than I actually saw within the contents of the story. The way he broke it down page-by-page, you'd think you were reading a lost classic of high art! It's a pretty straightforward story with not a lot to really explain.

But, if the editor is going to go all high-brow on the readers, I must ask, Nietzsche wrote a book called The Anti-Christ. Doesn't that muddle his interpretation of the story somewhat? Isn't it more complex than to say that Miracleman represents Nietzsche's ideal of the ubermensch, while Kid Miracleman represents nihilism? By calling himself the "antiChrist", isn't Kid Miracleman positioning himself alongside of Nietzsche's viewpoint?

• Upvote 2

Vagabond    154

aaaaaand mozza nails it again. read this before class and going to reread when I get back. this issue really brought the main plot back into focus. makes me want to reread the society of superheroes issue.

Christian    750

The Multiversity Guidebook was worth every penny to me. I love books like this.

I wonder if Morrison chose which universes made up the 52 Multiverse, or if editorial chose the different Earths?

I wonder if all this is just going to be wiped away by the new DC big event?

The most surprising choice was an Earth based on Howard Chaykin's work at DC. I didn't think his work was considered major enough that it'd be saved.

Lou K    1,061

My copy came cut at an angle. Completely useless. I had waited an extra week to get it and now I have to wait one more.

First world problems I guess

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,131

I reckon some of these were established by folklore already.

42 should have been Douglas Adamsverse of course.

It was a cracker.

As I keep saying, if DC does not come out of this with all continuities and universes intact, they are fucking idiots.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    455

Word.

Though I am kicking myself that I didn't just start start buying the floppies as soon as I saw the solicits.

Christian    750

Mastermen-Morrison reused something Garth Ennis already did with Hitler in another comic at the beginning...

OK, this was quite good. I like Morrison's take on the Freedom Fighters.

The downside was that this did not feel like an entire comic. You rarely hear decompressed about a Morrison comic, and I do not believe this fits that criteria, but this was definitely a good first issue of a mini-series. In its own right, it went by too quickly, without any real resolution.

Still, I enjoyed what we did get to see.

It was also very straight-forward for a Grant Morrison comic book.

Vagabond    154

The downside was that this did not feel like an entire comic. You rarely hear decompressed about a Morrison comic, and I do not believe this fits that criteria, but this was definitely a good first issue of a mini-series. In its own right, it went by too quickly, without any real resolution.

So much this. Society of superheroes and the watchmen one were both really well constructed, this one I was reading it and I was like "damn, I'm halfway done already? He's still introducing the characters". Had its moments but probably the weakest issue so far.

JasonT    442

For my birthday this year, could one of the mods please change the title of this thread to "I love Grant Morrison's butt"?

• Upvote 3