Hellblazer #289

11 members have voted

1. 1. 10, marks out of, please...

• I did not buy this comic

HELLBLAZER #289

Written by PETER MILLIGAN

Art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and STEFANO LANDINI

Cover by SIMON BISLEY

After another season of hell-raising, John Constantine finally makes it home again. But this time home might be the death of him. Meanwhile, his niece recovers from a brutal attack while his wife goes on the warpath. Ghostly visitations, bloody decapitations, and a spot of potential fratricide await in “The Unquiet Grave.”

I thought the last one was cringe-inducingly bad, Hell, for sure - for a reader. This one on the other hand.. The plotting was dense, the events had weight and characters were well written. I like the dark humor of The Crimson Prince persona, mixed with nonchalant mercilessness. There is something absurd and self conscious about this character - "I'm Evil and I know it", he has all the appearance of a poser, with the exception that he actually is as good as his word. Anyway.. I was pretty satisfied after the reading, hope Milligan can keep this up, although i have a feeling that we will keep discovering new horrible things the closed circle of our characters will inflict upon one another. Things have been pretty stagnant for a while. The Prince crashing the party allowed some air in, but for how long.. Good issue, shakes things up, very much a horror story, great dialogue and art..

I had two problems with it that should go into Milligan's "Things the characters do that make no sense" file. Also very mild spoilers. Why does Epiphany leave John buried alive and just completely forgets about it? Sure, she was busy but still.. And why the Hell does The Red Prince walk away after declaring that he will kill Constantine? Oh, wait, he said "you'll be quite dead". I get it, he is just being a good comic book villain who after revealing his plan and leaving John in a DEADLY trap, walks away with a diabolical laughter..

Gets an 8 for the good bits and how much i enjoyed it.

To answer your questions, it's because Milligan is a puppet master playing with puppets on strings. He's apparently forgotten that characters need to act in believable ways to get you embroiled in the story, unless it's so over-the-top (like some Beckett, for example) that you're not meant to take any of the story seriously.

Characters just do random things, just for the sake of getting the plot done.

Continuing on that theme now...

You know, I was hoping Milligan would just skip over the whole "John cons his sister in Hell" idiocy from last issue, but it's there within two pages...and it's still not explained. It'd be better if we just ignored it.

What, is John just really fucking lazy now?

Or, is this meant to show what a bastard John is, that he can't do such a simple act for his family?

It's terribly out of character, and Milligan should have at least tried to explain it if he was going to bring it up again.

Gemma-From psycho aligning herself with cultists in order to gain revenge to domestic violence victim, within six months.

I can barely read this dialogue, it's so Sophomoric....

I have no idea what the hell happened at the end of the issue. I think that's just because Milligan is randomly moving pieces on the board again though, and there's not really meant to be rhyme or reason.

I have to admit, the First's plan involving Terry's soul made me chuckle. It's simply absurdist, and I always have a soft spot for absurdism.

OK, so I'll give this a 4 for that one point. Otherwise, rubbish. Killing time rubbish, basically, no less. The worst kind of rubbish, because it mixes metaphors.

You know, I was hoping Milligan would just skip over the whole "John cons his sister in Hell" idiocy from last issue, but it's there within two pages...and it's still not explained. It'd be better if we just ignored it.

I'm assuming that's building up to a revelation that one of the shreddies Milligan's has had Constantine bump off over the course of his run is his missing mystery nephew. Maybe Piffy's alchemist ex boyfriend, or the property developer he zapped with the time spell...

More scattershot pacing, and more helpless John reacting to his circumstances, instead of making things happen. What's this glowing genealogy chart the First shows Piffie? Another sign that our willful guide is just a pawn in a predetermined plan not of his making. I can't wait to see how everything the First has done so far fails to accord with this new revelation.

Was there an American mafia family that wanted to get John, or was that resolved? Still on the back burner? I can't remember.

Events are spinning beyond my desire to collate. If the Greaves Family Soap Opera is an ending arc, I'll be a happy reader, but if it keeps up like this, I don't know. I think the title needs some new blood.

I think the title needs some new blood.

I think that's long overdue and not likely anytime soon (if the editor is to be believed). Wake me up when someone else takes over.

Does the editor have a pet?

We could abduct it and send her bits of it through the post until she gets rid of Milligan and finds another writer...

I'd rather abduct Milligan and send the editor bits of him in the post. I like animals too much.

If you abducted Milligan, you wouldn't have to worry about him writing more Hellblazer, though.

You have to take the right drug combinations

Pretty sure Slinks has that covered. :icon_wink:

Well, i kind of liked it. I've decided to read this comic at a very shallow level. Not put too much thought into it, that helps. I liked that the nurse remembered John having something to do with her friends death (I can't even remember how she died/her name now and to think, she was the loooove of John's life).

Now trying to think back on what else i liked, i'm struggling. Dammit, maybe i didn't really like this issue at all. Why did i have to try and analyze it.

I can't even remember how she died/her name now and to think, she was the loooove of John's life

Yet another?

For an alleged misanthropist, he gets a lot of play...

I don't understand why John would be so against finding his long lost nephew either. Johns a bastard but he does care about Gemma and Cheryl so why he would be so adamant against doing something so minor is rather odd.

As for Gemma Milligan must really hate her lol.

I can't even remember how she died/her name now and to think, she was the loooove of John's life

Yet another?

For an alleged misanthropist, he gets a lot of play...

It can work better than being a misogynist.

I don't understand why John would be so against finding his long lost nephew either. Johns a bastard but he does care about Gemma and Cheryl so why he would be so adamant against doing something so minor is rather odd.

This. Very much this. His sister has earlier in the series consistently been one of the few people he has gone above and beyond the call of duty for, so this laziness is just yet another completely out of character thing for JC in Milligans run. The way it reads is that Milligan makes JC act this way just to set up the plot where he's "made a false pledge in hell" to further the other plot ideas he has. It's really annoying that Milligan makes JC lie about something so unlikely just because the plot needs him to lie at that point. Poor, poor writing, IMHO.

As for this issue, it still bores me, although not as much as the last issue. The FOTF is a cardboard villain. I'll give it a weak 3.

This. Very much this. His sister has earlier in the series consistently been one of the few people he has gone above and beyond the call of duty for, so this laziness is just yet another completely out of character thing for JC in Milligans run. The way it reads is that Milligan makes JC act this way just to set up the plot where he's "made a false pledge in hell" to further the other plot ideas he has. It's really annoying that Milligan makes JC lie about something so unlikely just because the plot needs him to lie at that point. Poor, poor writing, IMHO.

As for this issue, it still bores me, although not as much as the last issue. The FOTF is a cardboard villain. I'll give it a weak 3.

well put!

Caught up on the last couple of months' issues and actually thought this wasn't bad at all. Aside from Gemma getting beaten to shit - I'm not usually one to cry misogyny, but Milligan's run has been incredibly creepy about its female characters on so many different levels, it's hard to believe this is the guy who wrote Shade the Changing Man - this latest issue was pretty good. Aside from Epiphany leaving John in a shallow grave for no reason, the characters all acted with some degree of psychological realism; the central conflict is actually interesting and could have genuine consequences rather than being forgotten about the moment the storyline ends; and...

...well, no, that's it really. It's achieved two things that ought to be in every comic as standard, and in doing so has been the best issue of Hellblazer for years.

Although I doubt Terry will actually die, because if he does Milligan will lose one quarter of his cast.

yeah, Milligan had Phoebe murdered, had Epiphany get the shit beaten out of her by John, had Gemma get fucked in every manner by Terry then had the shit kicked out of her, had all those poor Indian women cruelly fed to the demon. Epiphany's mom got the Terry treatment off panel.

Why does Milligan hate women?