Sign in to follow this  
Mark

A song wot I made

Mark    332

It's a fairly rough home demo, and still needs a real drum track, a bassline and a proper vocal (ideally to be performed by someone who can actually sing). I may also end up replacing the chorus with something a bit more melodically dynamic and/or interesting. But as a first effort, I don't think it's terrible.

Grab it here...

Lou K    1,054

Looking forward to this Mark. Out of town right now so I'll grab it when I get back. Please tell me you were nude at some point during it's production.

Mark    332

When I recorded the vocals, as I recall... ;-)

I've already got an idea of how to fix the problem with it - I like the individual components, but the overall structure could use polish, and there's an extra bit needed to improve the transition from verse to chorus - but I haven't had the chance to do any more recording this week, and I'm unlikely to get a better version finished until at least the weekend, not least because I've got a bunch of other riffs and bits which I want to work on as well. In the meantime I won't bother taking this version down, because I'm still fairly pleased with it as a first demo of the track.

I'll be interested in what you think!

Lou K    1,054

Good one, Mark! I can totally here the nudity. Add some bass and give it a good mix and that's a great track. Got a bit of an old school Cocteau Twins feel to it. I think the vox could use more reverb, to give it a dreamy droney kind of sound.

slinker    893

Nice. I'm given to understand vocals should ALWAYS be recorded in the nude. Or was I misled?

Mark    332

After getting back home this afternoon from last night's absolutely magnificent New Order concert, I felt inspired to sit down and knock out a quick cover. So, here it is:

True Faith.

New Order did it rather better, obviously. But for something I knocked together quickly with just two tracks (vocal and guitar, both single takes) and about twenty minutes of post-production fiddling, I'm not entirely un-pleased with this one.

Mark    332

Here's another rough effort I finished off yesterday (well...finished as far as I can with the resources to hand, which means that it still needs a bass and proper drums).

I've built up quite a little collection of finished demos, semi-finished sketches, various riffs/choruses and works-in-progress over the past few months. I fear that I may no longer be able to put off the terrifying task of going out in search of musicians to start playing them with...

The Whispering Room

(I'm using Rapidshare just because I already have an account, but if anyone's having trouble getting the file to download, or is particularly interested in hearing any of my other works-in-progress, just PM me and we can figure something out)

Mark    332

In addition to enthusing about the might and majesty that is the Sir Afrika live experience (and if any of you still haven't checked out the songs Red posted you really should get right onto that - they're really good stuff) over in Pål's thread, I might as well do the self-pimping thing and post a link to my latest song, which I finished off last night.

The whole thing was written, arranged and recorded in less than 24 hours, which I'm quite pleased with. Although it probably speaks poorly of my usual output, since my demos tend to lie around on my hard drive half-finished for months until I get round to polishing them up to the point where I'm ready for other people to hear them - then I knock this one out in an afternoon and I think it's one of the best things I've ever written. C'est la vie.

As usual, it's in need of a bass line and some non-looped drums. Also a decent vocal, because this is really straining my limited vocal range. But overall I'm genuinely proud of this one.

Waiting

Red    467

You've amassed a nice handful of good songs now Mark!

Akhira    29

I've already commented on soundcloud a few days ago. But I repeat that this really needs a like button.

Mark    332

Just uploaded another track I finished off today. The guitar solo will be replaced as soon as I can come up with something palatable (I'd do it now, but it's the middle of the night and I fear my neighbours would not thank me for my efforts), but otherwise it'll do.

http://soundcloud.co...tterson/wanting

Red    467

Just uploaded another track I finished off today. The guitar solo will be replaced as soon as I can come up with something palatable (I'd do it now, but it's the middle of the night and I fear my neighbours would not thank me for my efforts), but otherwise it'll do.

http://soundcloud.co...tterson/wanting

I like this one too, but as I said on FB, if you up the tempo it'd make a very nice upbeat Cure-ish song. Which would be even better.

Mark    332

I've tried it that way. Not sure I agree with you, to be honest - it works, obviously, but it also becomes a slightly different song, and one I don't like quite as much. I'll definitely make the studio version a bit faster, but not to the degree you were to be suggesting - maybe an increase of 10-15 bpm or so, enough to give it a bit of a boost without changing the dynamic completely. For now, though, I'm happy enough with it as a rough demo that I'm going to leave it be and move onto some of the other tracks I've been working on. Since I'll be re-recording just about everything from the ground up anyway, there's no point in getting too hung up on the finer details of the home-recorded versions.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark    332

So, I played my first-ever solo gig last night. It went pretty well, I thought - a few first-night-nerves-induced fuck-ups, but nothing too catastrophic, and nothing I couldn't cope with. Hooray!

Videographic evidence:

• Upvote 2

Mark    332

I've been asked to provide the music and soundtrack for a new podcast being launched by a friend of mine, so I've been doing a fair amount of atmospheric post-rock stuff lately. Having fun overdubbing feedback and suchlike, which Malin really doesn't appreciate at all, so I have to do all my recording while she's out. These are a couple of samples - the second one in particular I'm quite pleased with.

Skåratinden

Cold Law

• Upvote 1

metanoia    69

I've been asked to provide the music and soundtrack for a new podcast being launched by a friend of mine, so I've been doing a fair amount of atmospheric post-rock stuff lately. Having fun overdubbing feedback and suchlike, which Malin really doesn't appreciate at all, so I have to do all my recording while she's out. These are a couple of samples - the second one in particular I'm quite pleased with.

Skåratinden

Cold Law

I like both of those a lot. Very Godspeed You black Emperoresque

Mark    332

Aww, thanks! That's good to hear - GSYBE! are of the touchstones for the sort of thing I'm aiming for. :smile: These pieces are very simple, mainly because they've been put together for a fairly specific purpose. I've got a few more complex things sketched out very roughly that would take it a bit heavier, towards Cult of Luna territory, but I'm going to have to work on those with a bassist and drummer - there are limits to what I can achieve on my own kneeling in front of an amplifier in my living room, surrounded by cables and FX pedals...

Red    467

Skåratinden

Cold Law

This is really cool! What kind of podcast are we talking about here?

Mark    332

It's scifi/nerd culture thing, from a Norwegian perspective. I can't give any more info right now, partly because I haven't heard any of it yet and partly because I've been asked not to for the time being (it's not a big secret or anything, I think he just doesn't want to talk about it until it's actually ready to launch). Sounds like it could be interesting, though, and not just because I massively appreciate being asked to do the music for them.

I've got a bunch of different musical projects and suchlike going on at the moment, which is doing me the world of good - I've got a couple of people who I jam with semi-regularly just for the fun of it, I'm doing the post-rock/ambient instrumental stuff largely on my own for the time being, and I've got two other friends I'm working with for a couple of different studio projects, one of whom I'm also working up a live repertoire with, aiming to start playing around town in front of actual audiences some time in the early summer. So, I'm keeping myself busy, and working for/with other people gives me the necessary impetus to keep me from getting too lazy.

We should totally get together and play sometime. It's been far too long since I saw you anyway - we should probably take this away from the forum, though :-)

• Upvote 1